Autohelm 3000?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Seapup
Captain

Autohelm 3000?

Post by Seapup »

I have seen a few of these pop up for sale used as people retire them since they cant interface into modern electronics and use outdated technology. I kind of like the simplicity of it though. Locally there is one asking $200. Anyone ever see one mounted on an X pedestal? I already have a larger wheel, Do you think there would be enough room to route the belt and motor?

DaveB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Re: Autohelm 3000?

Post by DaveB »

For $200 I would ck it out. Many 2000 and 1000 is still in use. When I clicked on the post I thought you were talking about the Raymarine tiller autopilot.
Dave
Seapup wrote:I have seen a few of these pop up for sale used as people retire them since they cant interface into modern electronics and use outdated technology. I kind of like the simplicity of it though. Locally there is one asking $200. Anyone ever see one mounted on an X pedestal? I already have a larger wheel, Do you think there would be enough room to route the belt and motor?

Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

For $200 I would ck it out. Many 2000 and 1000 is still in use. When I clicked on the post I thought you were talking about the Raymarine tiller autopilot.
Dave
I wasn't looking for one, but am thinking like you, for the price why not. Mounting the motor out of the way with the belt lined up may be tricky. I found online the belt specs and you can get them in about any size for $5. So once I have a mounting measurement I can order a few.

If it works I will post the details, it looks like there are a fair amount of them out there.
Sparksvonrou
Just Enlisted

Post by Sparksvonrou »

I hope it is ok to tag along on this post.
I just purchased a used ST3000 and it looks like it's in brand new condition. Unfortunately it did not have the pulley that mounts behind the wheel. Does anyone know of a used one or where I can get a new one?

Also, from the posts, does that mean that it does not interface with sea talk at all? The manual seems to leave out much about interfacing. I want to put a wind vane and interface to my GPS. Any help with that would also be appreciated.

It is going on my 26X in the spring so I will try and post some pictures of the install and how things work info.

Regards and Happy New Year

Sparks
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

I hope it is ok to tag along on this post.
I just purchased a used ST3000 and it looks like it's in brand new condition. Unfortunately it did not have the pulley that mounts behind the wheel. Does anyone know of a used one or where I can get a new one?

Also, from the posts, does that mean that it does not interface with sea talk at all? The manual seems to leave out much about interfacing. I want to put a wind vane and interface to my GPS. Any help with that would also be appreciated.

It is going on my 26X in the spring so I will try and post some pictures of the install and how things work info.

Regards and Happy New Year

Sparks
Hey Sparks, I am the one doing the same thing. I just drove through Erie on my way from Pittsburgh to Syracuse a few days ago and wondered it there were any Mac's there as we drove along the lake.

The pulley is 11.5" diameter and 1.25" wide with a groove .5" wide for the belt. The belt is intended to slide on the pulley when there is no tension so there are no teeth on it, only some small ridges. I would probably check a junkyard for something that may work. You can also message the sellers on ebay, there are a couple that stock the parts, but only list a few items.

For seatalk/nmea interfacing the older ones I believe do not, but you can still use a windvane (if it has ST in the name it interfaces with seatalk and GPS) I have the ST but am not going to bother interfacing it. You can download complete manuals online and they explain how to set up the seatalk network.

I just got back to town lastnight and my belts arrived, so I will probably mess with it more soon. Notes so far are I am using 412 tooth 21" belt, 3" aluminum angle bracket on the face of the pedestal for the motor and angled the steering rack inside the console so the wheel is vertical and the belt sits tight to the pedestal.
Sparksvonrou
Just Enlisted

Post by Sparksvonrou »

Thanks for getting back to me about this. The sizes will be helpful!
Yeah, Erie, I am out of town at the moment and enjoying some tropical weather while Erie goes through it's winter routine!
I am the only 26X that I have seen so far in Erie. There is one older 26S that I am aware of.
I called Raymarine tech support and they were very nice. They do not support this older Autohelm 3000. If it has a ST- in the name, that means it interfaces with Sea Talk, else not. So you know of how to make it interface? I am able to do electronics and have a shop to do welding and what ever else. I will keep you posted as I have listed on a couple other forums as well. Anyone... still looking for the wheel drum for the original Autohelm 3000. Also for the St-3000 if it's the same thing or any of the others with the same dimensions as listed above! Interested in the wind vane for this too!
Happy New Year to all

Sparks
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

See some belts on ebay under Raymarine autopilot, thanks for that been a bit slack and should have been looking for a new drive motor for mine but it may pay to just buy a complete unit if cheap.
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

I called Raymarine tech support and they were very nice. They do not support this older Autohelm 3000. If it has a ST- in the name, that means it interfaces with Sea Talk, else not. So you know of how to make it interface?
The one I have is the first picture, it has ST. On my first post before I looked at it I didn't realize it had ST. The manual shows how to hook it up in chapter 4, it looks like it uses the yellow wire in the harness for the nmea signal.

http://www.raymarine.eu/view/?id=1836

It seems to me the compass heading should be good enough for basic needs though.

There is a remote for the 3000 on the Norfolk craigslist if you want one.
See some belts on ebay under Raymarine autopilot, thanks for that been a bit slack and should have been looking for a new drive motor for mine but it may pay to just buy a complete unit if cheap.
So you have a 3000 also? Any thoughts on it?

The belts are basic XL 050 timing belts, if you search there are a lot of places online that stock them for around $5 in any length you want.
looking for a new drive motor
If you are frugal I bet a $15 electric car window motor would work. I had one on my bench and considered using it since it would make a compact installation.
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

No mines a later one with a mark11 drive which thank you, found on ebay for about $150 aud in the uk but autohelm search revealed the same mob have spare parts for autohelm and cheap, as I was quoted $3-500 locally (just for the drive motor)
Got plenty of window motors from an old l series subaru but not for this model without major changes.
DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB »

I just came back from a 5 day cruise in Biscane bay ,FL were we had a Norester packing winds of 20 to over 30 knots on two of those days.
I disconnected the new Merc. 50 from steering and it is a must for Ease of helm and stearage control.
This being said I will add when motor is up and motor linkage is connected to steering rod there is a great mount of effort steering and also to any autopilot that is operating.
Useing any type of Autopilot with motor up is a extream amount of effort and best to disconect the outboard quick release.
With motor down and motorsailing or just sailing the effort is much less.
People with autopilot need to know this as if they do run with motor up with connected to steering under sail they will use so much current from batteries to supply there needs.
Dave
PS: 2-40 watt solar panels did just great for our 63 quart Refig. even in mostly cloudy days.

Seapup wrote:
Dave
I wasn't looking for one, but am thinking like you, for the price why not. Mounting the motor out of the way with the belt lined up may be tricky. I found online the belt specs and you can get them in about any size for $5. So once I have a mounting measurement I can order a few.

If it works I will post the details, it looks like there are a fair amount of them out there.
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

Getting some winter projects knocked out and mounted the autopilot this weekend. Seems to line up well and not be in the way. The compass gives a reading and on auto it takes over. Pressing the adjustment buttons spins the wheel and swings the motor around on the trailer. Hopefully it keeps a heading on the water, if not it will be a fancy wheel brake with manual controls :D

I took a few unnecessary steps to make everything compact, but basically it just needed a small angle for mounting the motor to the front of the pedestal.

I angled the steering rack so it was almost vertical to make the belt/motor straight down from the wheel vs a few inches out. The L bracket by the ignition is the motor mount.

The new wheel angle required an angled filler cap to cover the steering shaft (normally a black piece of plastic) a 4" pvc cap fit well. The belt and motor stay out of the way. Lever up AP disengaged, lever down and its engaged.