New glass 2

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

frede
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Washington Sailing Marina, Alexandria VA - 2005 26M 50hp Honda - Kool Breeze

Re: New glass 2

Post by frede » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:27 pm

This is my boat's picture before six coats on NG2.

I used Barkeepers Friend, but next time I think I'll use the 3M Marine Rubbing Compound.

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:22 pm

kevinnem,
the white is the actual chalk. You can save yourself a reasonable amount of buffing if you power wash first. I use a 20' tip and work the surface slowly with a 1200-1500psi power washer. You can remove a significant amount of oxidation with the pressure washer. Plan on working in a pattern and very slowly across the surface. After the surface dries you will be able to see your results, particularly on the black stripes and black antiskid.
The slower you move the more you will remove.

My '06 was significantly chalked when I bought it in '08. The way it was explained to me by NG2 is the majority of chalk resides at the surface. However, the gelcoat obviously has a film thickness established during the molding process. As a result the oxidized gelcoat also has micropores which are oxidized as well. Removing the surface oxidation provides a clean surface for the NG2 to bond with while filling the micropores. Once the NG2 dries it cross links chemically and forms a somewhat durable film thus sealing the gelcoat and preventing further oxidation.

The key to success is thorough removal of the oxidation prior to the NG2 application. A reminder from NG2 is not to go all anal on the level of polish of the gelcoat. Concentrate on consistent oxidation removal and let NG2 provide the gloss shine

Compounding:
NG2 recommended Softscrub and I have been using it since the beginning. I contains an aggressive compound grit, detergent and bleach. With a Porter Cable random orbital polisher/Lake Country pad you can remove dirt grime, stains and oxidation in one process. I have used multiple grits of 3m polish but find Softscrub the most effective and lowest cost compound.

Erik Hardtle
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Erik Hardtle » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:25 pm

I used 600 grit wet sandpaper and wet sanded the whole thing before applying the first time.

Here is a link to my pics of the application: http://www.enctrader.com/hardtlefamily/ ... allery.htm

Erik

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

I figured that anyone interested in this thread may be interested in this article in BOATUS.

Ray

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/re ... ine_062016

Maraquita
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Maraquita » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:04 pm

My boat name is on with vinyl letters. Will New Glass attack them?

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:07 pm

My boat name is on with vinyl letters. Will New Glass attack them?
When I used NGII on my X three summers ago, I do not remember any issues with my letters of the name or the registration numbers on the bow. I think I remember going a little easy around the letters. It may be prudent to test a small corner of one letter to see how your particular letters respond to the NGII. You can, also, contact the maker of NGII. I remember calling them about something, and they were very helpful. My lettering came from West Marine about 12 years ago, and they still look good.

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:52 pm

NG2 is a water based product. With no solvents or little if any that will damage your vinyl. I applied / wiped the NG2 directly over the vinyl with no damage to the surface. I did catch one numeral with buffing compound and the buffer. For sure that had an effect!

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:54 am

I have been waiting to post a photograph until I have actually washed and waxed my white :macm: .

There are many varied products, with different levels of work involved. I like good results with less effort :D

Here is a picture of Nice Aft after washing and using good old Turtle Wax (squeeze bottle). Easy on, and easy off. I have been using this for most of the twelve years I have owned Nice Aft. You just do not need any expensive, or technical procedures. :wink:

Easy on and easy off with great results. As they say, “a picture is worth a thousand words.” By the way, being a white hull, reflections don't appear as vivid as a dark colored hull, yet look at the results.

Ray

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:00 am

Nice 8)
NiceAft wrote:I have been waiting to post a photograph until I have actually washed and waxed my white :macm: .

There are many varied products, with different levels of work involved. I like good results with less effort :D

Here is a picture of Nice Aft after washing and using good old Turtle Wax (squeeze bottle). Easy on, and easy off. I have been using this for most of the twelve years I have owned Nice Aft. You just do not need any expensive, or technical procedures. :wink:

Easy on and easy off with great results. As they say, “a picture is worth a thousand words.” By the way, being a white hull, reflections don't appear as vivid as a dark colored hull, yet look at the results.

Ray

taylormade
Engineer

Post by taylormade » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:20 pm

NiceAft wrote:I have been waiting to post a photograph until I have actually washed and waxed my white :macm: .

Ray
That's a sweet looking shine there Ray! I was one of the "Bah, give me polish and an angle grinder buffer and get out of my way" gang until I got this boat. For 15+ years I've been wet sanding oxidized hulls, breaking out the buffers with wool pads and a myriad of 3M products to get a mirror shine. And shine they do! Well, at least for another 4-5 months in the Florida sun. Then it's back to the polisher.

When I bought this Mac, there were a lot of spots that had been patched. Dings, dents, etc, probably about 10 of them. Some of them pinhole sized, others the size of a softball. The one thing clear to me is that I was NEVER going to get a clean, smooth finish by polishing. If I wanted to do that, I'd have to sand down and redo a lot of the gel coat and even then, I was staring at a monumental task. I decided to give LG2 a try because it didn't matter what color that spot was, or what condition it was in, I just wiped the product on and it was all the same shine now. It did take a considerable amount of time to apply the first time. I'm not sure if that ever changes, but it was certainly less than the 6/7 hours it would have taken to polish the entire thing and get considerably worse results. I'm still of the opinion that a good polishing beats this stuff hands down as far as quality of the shine goes, but for me and my boat, this stuff is a dream.

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:59 pm

I agree with Taylormade. Nothing beats the shine of a compound polish and wax. Then again nothing beats NG2 for durability and near wax shine. No oxidized chalk stripes and deck.....and a fraction of the maintenance time.

I will have a total of 8 months of exposure on the stripes come July and no sign of chalky oxidation. I used the same clean and compound polish for NG2 as I did with the all the marine waxes I applied. Never did wax last more than 4 weeks before the strips were dull, chalked and fully oxidized.

If you like to mow your grass 3x a week, polish and wax for the ritual then skip the NG2. If you want to go sailing then NG2 is your solution.

This week I'm doing all the decking including the antiskid. I'll power wash the antiskid then clean with a stiff brush and soft scrub. Power wash again, dry, then apply NG2 with a 4in foam roller (per NG2 recommendations).

apsaunders
Chief Steward

Post by apsaunders » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Just finished removing oxidation from the stripes and blue hull of my :macm: . Applied NG2 and wow! What a difference. This boat didn't look this good when I bought it.

I was hesitant at first, but oxidation was getting so bad, I figured I had nothing to lose. And NO, I do not own any interest in NG2. I bought mine off Amazon as one of the post suggests.

Thanks to all of you who helped me take the plunge!

taylormade
Engineer

Post by taylormade » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:16 am

apsaunders wrote:Just finished removing oxidation from the stripes and blue hull of my :macm: . Applied NG2 and wow! What a difference. This boat didn't look this good when I bought it.

I was hesitant at first, but oxidation was getting so bad, I figured I had nothing to lose. And NO, I do not own any interest in NG2. I bought mine off Amazon as one of the post suggests.

Thanks to all of you who helped me take the plunge!
Pics or it didn't happen! :evil:

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:36 am

I want some NG2 but it looks like I will have to import it from the USA :(

Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:15 am