Questions about the Johnson Quick Release Lever Mod

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Hardcrab
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: "Cease-fire", White 05 M, 90hp, Boggy Bayou, Niceville, FL

Questions about the Johnson Quick Release Lever Mod

Post by Hardcrab »

I'm still setting up to tackle this mod and have read some older posts from folks who have done this to their forestay. I can't seem to get a clear picture on the final, most popular method to use. I'm curious for any current feedback from those who have done it.

I assume that the better lever choice is the bigger 14-206 lever with 4 extender holes, up to 5/32 wire, 1 1/2" of adjustment, and a pin to pin range of 6 7/8" to 8 3/8" ? It is only slightly more costly than the smaller 14-205, but much more useful and adaptable I would think.
I do want to use the thicker 5/32" forestay wire upgrade from BWY, and use a "toggle" (yet to be sourced), as per the CDI manual, on the upper end.

I'm stuck and undecided on the "which method" part:

1. I could be convinced to install a second hound above the existing, and just move the forestay up there and go with that.

2. OR, I could be convinced to move the existing hound up and extend the side stays with toggles and 1/8" SS flat stock as short length extenders.

They sound about the same to me-- construction wise. I will do the fabrication needed in either of the cases.

I plan on setting the forestay turnbuckle length to about 2/3 extended, then use the 6-5/8" closed lever setting to get the overall lever/forestay/toggle dimension as stretched out on the ground. This should allow for adequate final tweaking headroom with just the forestay turnbuckle. Does this sound okay?

Which way do you orient the lever for best "on water" access and usage? Does it even matter?
Would it help if the lever was raised further up from the deck mounting hole with a toggle or something? A few inches at most. I'm thinking it may be easier to access and "throw" the lever if it was a little higher off the deck, or maybe not.
Is the lever somewhat "hard" to move to the over-center position? Perhaps an extension helper tool might be a good idea?

Please chime in with your thoughts and opinions.
What's good about your chosen method, or what's bad about it?

Thanks for your answers.
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Questions about the Johnson Quick Release Lever Mod

Post by Sumner »

I actually went with the 14-210. Since I was going to the 5/32 forestay I wanted everything sized up to the same capacity. All pins are now also 5/16 th. Probably overkill but I haven't regretted it.

Bought a second hound and moved it up along with the shrouds. I did new standing rigging at the same time so it was no big thing. I kept the original hound and still have the forestay for it wrapped at the base of the mast and can still pin it at the bow. So I have some redundancy there if ever needed. I've always wanted to put up two head sails at the same time but haven't done it yet.

I have lots more at the following link with parts and reasoning for what I did at the time. Not saying it is the right way but it all has worked very well and love the Johnson lever for repeatable rig tensioning. I have the rigging on the tight side. Tighter than I ever did when we first sailed. Here is the link...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... ng-24.html

This was all on a S. Let me know if I can help more,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by kurz »

When I am alone I started to use the downhaul. So I quickrelease it from the boom. Then I attach it with a lanyard at the genoa and at the bottom of the boat. So I can stay in the stock configuration but have enough power to pin the forestay.

Maybe later one time I will go with a technically upper class solution like a Quick Release lever. But a disadvantage I can see is that the genoa raisis... Maye it is marginal, don't know...
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

kurz wrote:... But a disadvantage I can see is that the genoa raisis... Maye it is marginal, don't know...

For us that was an advantage as we like the view forward now. Has it hurt performance? I'm sure if you are a racer this would not be a mod for you, but we cruise and there aren't that many times we are searching for that last 1/2 knot of speed. A lot of the time we have the main reefed and the genoa in a bit so I'd say that over 90% of the time our speed isn't effected much if at all. 100% of the time we have a better view forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppZV4NR ... e=youtu.be

We often see better than 6 knots and that is towing the dinghy and with the boat loaded enough that I raised the waterline stripe about 1 1/2 -2 inches,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links