What Are Your Top 5,10,15 Mods Or How Do I Love Thee- my Mac

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Gazmn
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

What Are Your Top 5,10,15 Mods Or How Do I Love Thee- my Mac

Post by Gazmn »

Just starting a topic to help get me through the rest of Winter & my next Nor'easter :P I reflexively made the comment "One of my top 5 best mods" in a recent reply & got me thinking. What are yours? You can # 5 or 10 or even 15 according to how mod crazy you've been over the years.

My 5, 10 possibly 15 even :?

1.Raising gooseneck 12"s which allowed 3 & 4 & All cockpit comfort.
2. My water system W/ shower somewhat modified from this but still top 5.
3. My splash/wind shield & traveller
4. 8' Bimini - Made for the shade 8)
5. Nature's Head Composting Toilet - 'Nuff said...
6. 300W Solar array with MPPT charging system. & mast rest -pics to follow.
7. 12V Engel fridge made possible by solar array & large 5 day Cooler tied into sink drain line.
8. TV & Music system incl Amazon TV & Alexa W/ Verizon mifi wifi
9. Propane grill system with butane & propane stoves. For outside meal preps & coffee 8)
10. My Transom Ladder. How I get on & off from PO
11. My Back Porch Although, now, it's 3/4" starboard w/ grip.
12. My new seat & step/ Billy Box mod, Gaz style. I cook on it, sit on it & use as a prep table, area x2. & now my stairs flip up too 8) For rear lower access & head access
13. New Sea Tech Aluminum Trailer - Love it! It was time :|
14. Motor upgrade. You don't need a 115HP. I think anything above 50HP is a top 5 upgrade, 2 stroke or 4 stroke doesn't matter. Plus the higher Etec charging system.
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: What Are Your Top 5,10,15 Mods Or How Do I Love Thee- my

Post by Ixneigh »

In no particular order
Anchor windlass
Solar array
Dometic cooler
Two piece lowered helm seat
Interior storage modules
Low profile cockpit shade
Opening ports in galley
Two piece companion way slides.
Ix
Signaleer
First Officer
Location: Foley, Alabama...2002 26x & 2002 90 HP Mercury Salt Water 2-stroke

Post by Signaleer »

Great post!
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I've gone a little mod crazy this winter as I'm prepping for an attempt at the exumas next year

1 100 watt solar with Engel fridge and all LED lights
2 new standing rigging with larger stay for the roller furler and back up rope in case it also snaps
3 fiorentino drogue
4 fiorentino sea anchor
5 Garmin plotter comptible with xm weather + xm weather antenna
6 20 gal per hour watermaker (I haven't received it yet in mail but should be here soon)
7 3rd reef put in the main sail
8 currently mid project of upgraded rudders jo woodworks out of Texas made me 2 white oak rudders and im having stainless brackets welded 300lb braid break release and extra metal with backing plates to the grudgeons to hopefully make rudder system bulletproof....rudders should also be here this week
9 generator and a.c. with door cut out
10 hand operated washing machine and learning how to wash clothes on board using ammonia
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

whgoffrn wrote: 10 hand operated washing machine and learning how to wash clothes on board using ammonia
keep us in touch with the ammonia washing. What are your results?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

That washing machine might be a money making mod.

When at an anchorage, for a price, other captains could bring over their dirty laundry for a cleaning. Just hang the cleaned items on the lifelines for drying and self pick up. 8) Hmmm, there might be a franchising opportunity here :?: :D

Ray
FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs »

When purchased, my boat was fully loaded with auto pilot and electronics. It had the Dawsor full enclosure with stern rail seats and 150 Genoa on a roller.

Mods I made myself

Two Walkers down riggers electrical mounted off stern rail seats using bbq clamp. No drilling and out of the way for sailing.

Natures Head - Best Mod
Dometic freezer - the most awesome freezer. Pay the extra money.
Motor quick release from BWY ... Must have mod for me.
Solar 100w
Propane tank holders PVC under stern rail seats
New square top sail with full battens. Reduced the lean for sure.
Switch to AGM batteries ... Had them for 3 years now which is a record for me.
Electric galley tap
Second trailer axle
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Ammonia 1 cup per gallon of water is what I was told.... it worked well I think...weve washed prob 6 loads of clothes with regular non salt water and 1 cup of ammonia per gal of water no rinsing is necessary with ammonia .... when clothes first come out they smell like a cat peed all over them and you think the ammonia smell will never come out but it evaporates out and clothes are perfectly clean
I use one of the washing machine things u turn by hand we let it soak for a bit then turn it / rotate it for 5 mins ....let it sit a bit again....turn for 5 mins sit and repeat so u do this 3x so total of only 15 mins turning and clothes come out perfect after using those black paper clips Wal-Mart sells attached to lifelines ....by noon next day clothes are clean fresh and dry

I'm sure a bucket and plunger would work as an agitator though....i just got the wonder wash thing
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

thanks.
Can you watch your ammonium bottle exactely to see what is written there? I can find here bottles that say ammonium 25%.
If I read it tells how toxic it is... Who knows more?
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I live up north where it's quite cold up here ...i don't use ammonia for any other purpose at home other than washing clothes when boating....next time it warms up I'll go to the boat and see what % it is..... I just bought whatever clear ammonia was on the shelf at Wal-Mart I guess it stands to reason the more concentrated the ammonia is the less you'd have to use ...... I had a really hard time trying to figure out how much ammonia to use most articles on it just said add ammonia to fresh water but not much on how much ammonia per part of water or at what percent so I think it's just use enough that you feel it worked as a solvent to loosen up the dirt from the clothing.....i tried roughly 1 cup per gallon
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Marina laundry mart works for me , or just have a shower at the marina with ur cloths on

J 8)
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Haha we did get one of those heated propane shower deals at cabellas for showering on the boat.... I'm all about water conservation ..we should have done that lol
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

#1 finish off my steering up-grade
#2 finish off my pedestal re-enforcement
#3 finish off my galley hutch mod
#4 finish off my radar installation when my new Radar Arch "on order" comes in hopefully late Mar or early Apr. :(
#5 then install my three solar panels & my MPPT charge controller & battery monitor
#6 interior storage modules I have just trying to figure the best method & place for installing
#7 V-Berth extension port side
#8 install my opening hatch into my sliding hatch :)
#9 finish off Scotch guard " water proof" my full enclosure still have to do my dodger & side curtains
#10 replace my MRS lines as they r showing signs of wear & fraying

now some of these need to b done asap the others can b done on bad weather days or when ever time permits with the planning process taking first priority "want to get it right the first time " lol

J 8)
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

The BEST mod was upgrading the sails, makes it like a different boat under sail, best dollars you will spend