Steering modification

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
5ugly
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Steering modification

Post by 5ugly »

I just installed a larger engine on my 98 26x. I hooked the steering up as it was with the Yamaha 50 and it looks like it's going to take some modification. It has very little function especially when turned to port. I would love to see what some of you with bigger engines have done to your steering systems.
Thanks

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/5ugly1/slideshow/
Last edited by 5ugly on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Steering modification

Post by Starscream »

ETEC90 on a 2002X...no modifications where made to the steering whatsoever. Upgraded from a Honda BF50. I haven't (yet) heard of anyone having to modify the steering because of a larger motor.

Maybe some photos of the installation would help the Macgurus on this site identify potential issues.
Mike Ford
Deckhand

Post by Mike Ford »

Does motor point straight when rudders are strait? If not I believe you just need to detach the steering linkage end from motor and rotate it to screw it in to shorten it as needed. Think there is locking nut at end of the threaded section you need to loosen first.
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

Try connecting the steering to the hole closer to the powerhead. Shorter lever = more turning.

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I up-grade my eng. brkt from my home made temp one I made 9yrs ago lol
from this

to this

had the same issue I had to drill another hole & tap thread it out closer to the engine
I bought the new eng. brkt "Used" from a Merc dealer
J 8)