Fuel Filter

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
sailertrash
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Fuel Filter

Post by sailertrash »

hey yall

I just got a fuel filter to install on my :macx: . One of those canister types. Im pretty green when it comes to boats really, but I've been told that every boat should have a fuel filter to separate water and any sediment that might be in the fuel. Especially if filling up at the harbor. Anyone else using one of these? Trying to decide where to best mount this beast.
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Fuel Filter

Post by kurz »

good idea.
I installe mine inside the 69HP Outboard Mercury. Will do some photos soon...
SENCMac26x
First Officer

Post by SENCMac26x »

I use an external Sierra 90GPH Filter/Water Separator (looks a lot like a truck oil filter) ever since I got bad gas that ruined a great day on the water, and my Boat-upgrade savings account.

I mounted mine on the back bulkhead of the gas locker on the starboard side. 1 hose reaches a gas on in either cubby, and the output runs directly to the engine.
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Look for my recent post on this same topic I just recently upgraded to 4 scepter tanks and a water separator and filtwr and realized a huge part that gets overlooked and why a clear filter bowl is extremely important
Danhux
Deckhand

Post by Danhux »

On our M, we have a fuel filter that’s in the engine and a water separator mounted in the engine well, pictured here
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OaQdk ... lkePW2KwpA.. fuel goes here first, then through the inline fuel filter.
Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol »

i have an :macm: , and i mounted a separate Raycor water and sediment filter in the motor well. and carry 3 spare filters on board- just in case.
no good having a filter if you cant replace it out on the water.
and i replace it every year anyway.