Continued Water Leaks

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:51 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Continued Water Leaks

Post by macowneril2015 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:07 pm

I keep my :macx: in a slip in Chicago during the season and in a storage facility in the elements during the winter. Last year I noticed that there was water ending up in the bilges and also it appeared as water may be getting in somewhere near the cockpit (water dripping from black cover on underside of rear berth). I am completing my preseason upgrades and work and the water is definitely a major issue. I think after 19 years the rubrail needs to be replaced as the PO caused damage to it. I saw something about chain plates and top deck items but was unsure how likely those were to be the issue. I am just inquiring to see what the more seasoned minds think about where I should start. I did fix the bad steering gasket and that cut the water leaking in by half.

User avatar
Hideaway
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:16 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Pataskala, OH

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by Hideaway » Mon May 06, 2019 8:12 am

I own a 2002 26x and had similar water leak issues. You might try looking just inside the gasoline storage compartments of the cockpit. I had to seal the entire length were the bottom of the gasoline compartment contacted the inside wall of the cockpit, just below the opening. This solved my issues, good luck with yours.

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3465
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by dlandersson » Mon May 06, 2019 9:57 am

I fully concur about the rub rail, I think mine needs replacing as well. :cry:

Re: chain plates. Where they attach to the hull, I put on some new silicon gasket stuff every spring. 8)

Which Chicago marina are you in? I'm always looking for spare parts. :P
macowneril2015 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:07 pm
I keep my :macx: in a slip in Chicago during the season and in a storage facility in the elements during the winter. Last year I noticed that there was water ending up in the bilges and also it appeared as water may be getting in somewhere near the cockpit (water dripping from black cover on underside of rear berth). I am completing my preseason upgrades and work and the water is definitely a major issue. I think after 19 years the rubrail needs to be replaced as the PO caused damage to it. I saw something about chain plates and top deck items but was unsure how likely those were to be the issue. I am just inquiring to see what the more seasoned minds think about where I should start. I did fix the bad steering gasket and that cut the water leaking in by half.
Last edited by dlandersson on Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:51 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by macowneril2015 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm

So I replaced the windows this passed weekend and I fully think the rub rail is the culprit because even after draining 85% of the water out of the bilges I ended up with water in them with the boat sitting on the trailer I also noticed it is pulling away in places. I will look at the chain plate posts as well and see the solution.

User avatar
March
Captain
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 9:54 am
Location: Iowa, MacGregor 26X, Evinrude E-TEC 50 HP

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by March » Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 am

Replacing the rubrail is a huge project. It seems like an easy one, but reports suggest differently. It would be the very last thing I would attempt before making sure that the chainplates and the windows are well sealed. My rubrail is chaffed in a couple of places, but is still holding tight in the main.

You could try spraying some talcum powder in the bilge to see where the water is dribbling from
Just saying

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:51 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by macowneril2015 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:24 am

March wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 am
Replacing the rubrail is a huge project. It seems like an easy one, but reports suggest differently. It would be the very last thing I would attempt before making sure that the chainplates and the windows are well sealed. My rubrail is chaffed in a couple of places, but is still holding tight in the main.

You could try spraying some talcum powder in the bilge to see where the water is dribbling from
Just saying
How does the talcum powder work? I changed the window due to a foredeck one leaking which I temporary fixed last summer but this year I replaced all the windows and I will seal them tight with a bead all the way around the exterior of the window. I will apply some silicone around chainplates and see that issue but I ordered the rubrail kit and I am having a marina do it for me since it seems to be involved and they are doing other work for me. Also should be noted BWY currently doesn't have a manufacturer for the end caps so keep your end caps until further notice.

User avatar
March
Captain
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 9:54 am
Location: Iowa, MacGregor 26X, Evinrude E-TEC 50 HP

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by March » Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm

I removed all the plywood covers over the holes above the bilge and made sure the interior of the bilge was tolerably dry. Then I applied some "puffs" of talcum powder wherever I could. Then I hosed the boat. I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:51 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by macowneril2015 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm

March wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm
I removed all the plywood covers over the holes above the bilge and made sure the interior of the bilge was tolerably dry. Then I applied some "puffs" of talcum powder wherever I could. Then I hosed the boat. I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went
I understand now, thank you for clarifying also how can I keep the humidity lower in my boat in the summer, not sure if you or others do anything to mitigate it but I had some issues last summer with mildew.

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3465
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by dlandersson » Sat May 11, 2019 4:21 am

I had mold one time that I know of, 2nd winter.

Every month, I empty out my X and clean (wipe it down really) with a mold inhibitor.

When in the marina, I have some fans on to keep the air ciculating. Forward hatch is cracked open a tad. 8)
macowneril2015 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:13 pm
March wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm
I removed all the plywood covers over the holes above the bilge and made sure the interior of the bilge was tolerably dry. Then I applied some "puffs" of talcum powder wherever I could. Then I hosed the boat. I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went
I understand now, thank you for clarifying also how can I keep the humidity lower in my boat in the summer, not sure if you or others do anything to mitigate it but I had some issues last summer with mildew.

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:51 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by macowneril2015 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am

This past weekend after a week of rain I had 1.5+ gallons of water in the boat (she's on dry land). Windows are new and sealed well I will be changing the rubrail in a few weeks, my fuel lockers were resealed plus I do not think they would let in that much water. Would the rubrail still be the main culprit, I do a lot of work on my own so it is hard to have someone hose her while I am crawling looking for leaks plus it is hard to get the bilge dry.

Alexis
Chief Steward
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: SK, Canada

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by Alexis » Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 am

March wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm
I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went
The rear arrangement is an easy culprit. I had some water entering through the hole where the engine cables and steering enters the boat above the rear berth. I sprayed a "cloud" of enclosed foam there, not a drop anymore (to avoid the cheap household product, it is important that the foam cells are totally closed to avoid soaking water like a sponge...).

I also had a disconnection of the drain pipe contraption under the engine well that I detected because of a slight gas smell in the rear bilge. IMHO, this is a bad design and it is also very difficult to access... It is not a pleasant task but I recommend to check this drain once in a while.

Other than that, my last and remaining leak is from the bow light, where a little bit of water can run inside the boat and soak the bow side of the berth mattresses. I won't fix it this season, I placed an old towel at the bow between the lower and upper berth liners to collect the water.

My bilges are as dry as bilges can be. I am kind of lucky, I guess.

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:51 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by macowneril2015 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Alexis wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 am
March wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm
I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went
The rear arrangement is an easy culprit. I had some water entering through the hole where the engine cables and steering enters the boat above the rear berth. I sprayed a "cloud" of enclosed foam there, not a drop anymore (to avoid the cheap household product, it is important that the foam cells are totally closed to avoid soaking water like a sponge...).

I also had a disconnection of the drain pipe contraption under the engine well that I detected because of a slight gas smell in the rear bilge. IMHO, this is a bad design and it is also very difficult to access... It is not a pleasant task but I recommend to check this drain once in a while.

Other than that, my last and remaining leak is from the bow light, where a little bit of water can run inside the boat and soak the bow side of the berth mattresses. I won't fix it this season, I placed an old towel at the bow between the lower and upper berth liners to collect the water.

My bilges are as dry as bilges can be. I am kind of lucky, I guess.
The engine cable and steering linkage were huge issues last year until I resolved it, I forgot to check engine well, I will also see bow light but the bow portion has never really had water intrusion. Thank you for your added insight.

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Alexis wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:33 am
Other than that, my last and remaining leak is from the bow light, where a little bit of water can run inside the boat and soak the bow side of the berth mattresses. I won't fix it this season, I placed an old towel at the bow between the lower and upper berth liners to collect the water.
Why not? A thin sausage of butyl tape and a couple of minutes with a screwdriver would fix that permanently. 8)

Maraquita
Deckhand
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:44 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by Maraquita » Thu May 16, 2019 6:33 pm

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but when you talk about Butyl Tape do you mean the gray or light green putty that one can buy at True Value or Ace? Or is there a particular "marine" Butyl tape?

User avatar
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Rochester, NY '99X BF50 'Tomfoolery'

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri May 17, 2019 6:41 am

This is what I use. Got it from someone on another boat forum (user name Maine Sail), but I see it's available online now.

https://shop.marinehowto.com/products/bed-it-tape

This stuff stays flexible, like, forever. :| I first used it years ago, and it's still as soft and sticky as the day I placed it. It's still squishing out from under some things where I used too much, in fact, and I have to trim it and peel it off once in a while. :D

Post Reply