Water in Bilges Still

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Water in Bilges Still

Post by macowneril2015 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 am

So I have tried most of the problem areas, I replaced windows ( screw holes ended up leaking but has been resolved), replaced rub rail (was done professionally). I still am getting almost an inch in the port bilge areas, it seems to mainly be there and I do get moisture in the rear berth but I was thinking that was maybe condensation. My boat stays in a slip in the summer so I am not sure where to look now. I know the stays may be an issue but I am not sure if its an easy fix with the boat in the water. I checked fuel locker seams and they appeared fine. The windows and rub rail resolved a majority of the intrusion.

mac n cheese
Chief Steward

Re: Water in Bilges Still

Post by mac n cheese » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:08 pm

I know the chain plates have already been covered where you mentioned in a previous post that you applied silicone.

See my fix in the following thread.

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 898928eb4b

To confirm that you fixed the common chain plate source is to pull the 2 plugs on the inside of the cabin and stuff in some tissue paper.
Pour water over the chain plates and check the tissue for any water. It will take you 5 minutes but it will confirm.

Pull the 2 plugs in the cabin adjacent to the 2 screws you see in the pic just below the rubrail.

Stuff tissue in those holes.

Where do you see water in the rear berth? Top or bottom side of cushions? Any water pooled in the transom area that you can see with the cover
off? I sourced a leak in that area recently and applied 3m 5200 to a number of fasteners going through the transom.

macowneril2015
Chief Steward
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Re: Water in Bilges Still

Post by macowneril2015 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:24 pm

I will have to check out the transom area, may be some intrusion and there was water under the cushions (not sure condensation or something else). I will check chain plates. I did not realize it would take a while but will look into it Friday.