Water Starboard under sink / Vent through hole next to ballast vent question

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

bskubish
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Water Starboard under sink / Vent through hole next to ballast vent question

Post by bskubish » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Hello all! I have been a 98' Mac26X owner since new. First post. Need help!

Seeing water under sink on starboard side. I can trace where the water is coming from moving from under the sink towards the front of the boat up to the through (vent) hole that is to the left of the ballast tank cup. My ballast is full and the boat is in mooring, the plug is on the ballast tank vent and there is no leaking. My question is, what is the hole to the left? I stick my finger in there and I can feel moisture and loose foam, but I'm not sure if it's a drain or if it's an extra hole to vent the ballast. I have seen pictures of other boats and it looks like there is water run off residue in those pictures as well. There is definitely some water coming out of it, especially when the boat is rocking in bad weather at mooring. It's not a lot of water but I'd love to know where the water is coming from if any of you know what it's purpose is and where the water is potentially being collected from. I appreciate it!

Thanks!