Inteprotect VC-17 Bottom Paint Questions

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Dougiestyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Inteprotect VC-17 Bottom Paint Questions

Post by Dougiestyle » Mon May 04, 2020 9:40 am

yep good job!

I'm finishing up my bottom paint job, so I feel pretty well beat up rolling around under the boat. I got it off the front bunk last night and I'm headed out to put on the primer right now. Its a good thing.
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:17 am

Tried out the new VC-17 bottom paint on the water yesterday.

There is a HUGE increase in low speed performance. Like about 500 RPM less for the same 7 knots speed as I was doing last year with the sandpaper hull.

Still 24mph top-speed, so hard to say that there's a difference there.

Oh, and with the new keel rope, I was putting the up-marker and down-marker on the new rope, and I guess the new knot got stuck the first time I pulled it up, so I put the UP marker in a location which was really "ALMOST UP". With ballast in at 20mph, I didn't notice anything. With ballast out when I hit 20MPH the boat rolled over on its side pretty shockingly. I was kind of ready for odd things to happen on this year's shakedown voyage, so may reaction was pretty fast. Trouble shooting the issue I found that there was another 4 inches of "UP" to mark. Don't power with the keel even partway down!!!!

Reinforces my opinion of the Lake Champlain fatal incident in which I am sure that the drunk captain initiated a full-power turn with the board down and ballast out, killing two young passengers.

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:46 pm

easiest way I found to paint ur bottom

Ya Al have agood day now yaeh here :P

J 8)

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:33 am

Enjoyed this thread. Have Fast Sunday off trailer on blocks doing bottom job. Still thinking of not using anti-foul, just re-coating with 1 step gelcoat and putting on Aurora VS 721 racing wax. That has gotten me through 5 or so seasons in the gunk. Total of 7 months a year. Never win many races but racing wax makes me smile. :)
Newell
Fast Sunday 96X Windancer 89D

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:33 am

Enjoyed this thread. Have Fast Sunday off trailer on blocks doing bottom job. Still thinking of not using anti-foul, just re-coating with 1 step gelcoat and putting on Aurora VS 721 racing wax. That has gotten me through 5 or so seasons in the gunk. Total of 7 months a year. Never win many races but racing wax makes me smile. :)
Newell
Fast Sunday 96X Windancer 89D