Shore power AC 120v install + more

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Shore power AC 120v install + more

Post by Todd » Thu May 21, 2020 10:14 pm

I will put the shore power in mods with a few more pics but wanted to mention it here. Thank you to all the knowledge and upgrades shared here on this forum which gave me the courage to put about 11 holes in my boat (2 from the outside)! This is the first time I have really employed CAD in my projects. (Cardboard Aided Design) templates - highly recommend it.

I successfully completed:

- Blue sea 8101 Ac Panel with elci and reverse polarity (was impressed with quality of their product and level of documentation on their website)
- Marinco shore power (sat there for 2 days staring at where me and my son figurated where the 3" hole should go)
- 4 outlets, 2 of them duplex with USB
- bilge pump, float, switch panel, hose and thru-hull
- 12v dedicated USB plug
- returned to dual AGM battery setup (boat already wired with Blue Sea ACR and combiner switch)
- Furrion stereo (upgraded for bluetooth)
- custom Air Conditioner hatch for window unit AC
- new bunks for the trailer (not installed yet)
- transom filler from bwyachts.com
- new pulleys for rudder purchase (one of the old ones wouldn't turn and I didn't know it)
- new traveler lines from byyachts.com
- shower curtain/rod to replace the head door
- found and fixed one cabin top block bolt leak
- traced, labeled, learned where most of the wiring goes

Still have more to do but feels good to be making progress.

Todd
'07 26M

:macm:

Russ
Admiral

Re: Shore power AC 120v install + more

Post by Russ » Fri May 22, 2020 6:43 am

Nice work.

I like where you installed the shore power connector. I don't understand why so many boat builders locate it far aft (eg: cockpit). Most sailboats dock bow first into slips. In previous boats I've had to run the shore power from the dock all along the deck to reach the connector. That left little remaining cord to reach the dockside outlet.
--Russ

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Russ wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:43 am
Nice work.

I like where you installed the shore power connector. I don't understand why so many boat builders locate it far aft (eg: cockpit). Most sailboats dock bow first into slips. In previous boats I've had to run the shore power from the dock all along the deck to reach the connector. That left little remaining cord to reach the dockside outlet.
This panel said that the inlet had to be within a few feet So this seems like the logical place. It did work out pretty good because that cabinet area is empty once you take out the foam you actually have quite a bit of room to work with.
Todd
'07 26M

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Sat May 23, 2020 7:10 am

Todd wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 pm
This panel said that the inlet had to be within a few feet So this seems like the logical place. It did work out pretty good because that cabinet area is empty once you take out the foam you actually have quite a bit of room to work with.
There is great storage in that space. I took the foam out and put it someplace else and put a door on it.

--Russ

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Sat May 23, 2020 11:08 am

Russ wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:10 am
Todd wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 pm
There is great storage in that space. I took the foam out and put it someplace else and put a door on it.

I recognize that door! I think it was was one of the mods I looked at in the mods section :)
Todd
'07 26M