Genoa Sun Protection

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Inquisitor
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Genoa Sun Protection

Post by Inquisitor »

I've about decided to try and do some sewing projects. While at it, I want to add the strip of colored material to the leech and foot of my stock 150% Genoa. I've read that these tend to hurt performance and that lighter weight cloth is better at the expense of protection. So can someone help me with:
  1. A standard leech and foot strip width
  2. Commonly used material - pros and cons if there are options
  3. Thread material and weight that can be sewn with a regular Singer type sewing machine
  4. If any glues/tapes are used, what are they
  5. Sewing techniques, tricks
  6. Any recommended videos
Thanks.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: Genoa Sun Protection

Post by NiceAft »

You mention about hurting performance; not a word one hears in a sentence when talking about an :macm: or an :macx: , at least not in a positive way :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Inquisitor wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:26 pm I've about decided to try and do some sewing projects. While at it, I want to add the strip of colored material to the leech and foot of my stock 150% Genoa. I've read that these tend to hurt performance and that lighter weight cloth is better at the expense of protection. So can someone help me with:
  1. A standard leech and foot strip width
  2. Commonly used material - pros and cons if there are options
  3. Thread material and weight that can be sewn with a regular Singer type sewing machine
  4. If any glues/tapes are used, what are they
  5. Sewing techniques, tricks
  6. Any recommended videos
Thanks.
Following. I have a new RF jib and I don't have a sun protector on it. I have a singer heavy duty and would like to add one if practical. North sails quoted me 400 to add one.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:11 am Following. I have a new RF jib and I don't have a sun protector on it. I have a singer heavy duty and would like to add one if practical. North sails quoted me 400 to add one.
I had a sock for my jib. Hated it so I paid $200 to have sunbrella protector added. Then I bought the genny with sun protector and don't use either.
--Russ