autopilot on 26M

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Jim Bunnell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Southfield, MI; Tohatsu TLDI 50, '03 26M hull # MACM 0019 C303

autopilot on 26M

Post by Jim Bunnell »

I'm installing an ST4000 II on my 26M. The pedistal mounted pin that goes into the back of the wheel plate is too short. Raymarine says "The pin that is supplied is the longest available. If you can find stock that is the same size you can extend the length by adding a collar over the spliced area and epoxy it in place" Have any of you made this installation? Any advice? Thanks.

Jim
Jim Bunnell
First Officer

Post by Jim Bunnell »

Herm ?,

Where did you mount the bulkhead pin? I had considered it, but it appears that there isn't a good spot on the box that tops the pedestal. Thanks for the response, and, like Michel, I'd appreciate the number of the pin.
Jim Bunnell
First Officer

Post by Jim Bunnell »

Michel,

I do have a larger wheel on the Mac. The boat was a demo and the wheel was changed before I purchased the boat. I've become stuck by the pin, and haven't finished the mod yet; when I do, I'll post to the mods site. I tentatively plan on mounting the compass on a fabricated panel at the front of the access area under the companionway ladder. It looks like it will be out of the way and fairly easy to do.

I'll post more when it happens.
Jim Bunnell
First Officer

Post by Jim Bunnell »

Michel, take a look at this modification that was just posted as a result of another discussion. Looks like a neat solution!

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/cgi-bin ... record=227

(Three posts in a row by me ... feels like I'm talking to myself) :)
Jim Bunnell
First Officer

Post by Jim Bunnell »

Herm - Just as you prepare for a trip, something goes bad; isn't that always the way? :| Hope you get it worked out quickly. I'll watch for the picture, thanks.

Jim