Water maker

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Water maker

Post by Divecoz »

Has this been seen here before if not. . .
Its show and tell time.
http://rutuonline.com/html/watermaker.html
for sure not for a Mac . . . but maybe :)
Night Sailor
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: '98, MACX1780I798, '97 Merc 50hp Classic, Denton Co. TX "Duet"

Post by Night Sailor »

That's quite a project and I sure respect his desire to buy off the shelf domestic product not labeled marine, as long as it will do the job safely and durably. I often do the same.

However, I think for any boat, the simpler the better so untrained can repair it. For a Mac or any other small boat I think it's hard to beat a rain collection device gravity fed to adequate redundant storage, then low pressure, low amperage pumps, and faucets that only emit a small rate of flow. Impatience naturally keeps most people from overusing scarce water.
Notice I didn't mention crew training to use less water as that can be an explosive subject. Hygiene is a good thing, but there are dry methods used to clean hair that are used in hospitals and nursing homes every day world wide that don't require expense or complication.

And then, someone has suggested previously that if one is sailing long distances in big water, why not cover most of the bilge space up to floor level and make many separate tanks to fill with potable water? More ballast could be good in many ways.
richandlori
Admiral

Post by richandlori »

Bingo....a friend and I used this site as a template for my Watermaker/Generator combo for THIRD DAY. We located a 6.5Hp Kubata diesel engine for $500 for powering the system. A 4GPM Gaint pump will feed two R/O membranes giving me "about" 38Gals/hr of drinking water. Then we put on a 105AMP alternator, as a "why the heck not". So this way I can get 38Gals of drinking water and make some power at the same time all for a fuel consumption of 1/6gal/hr. I think our daily AMP/hr uses will be in the 120-150AH/day range....so the 50-70AH I have been getting form the Solar system just isn't enough and running the 40hp 28yr old Westerbeke JUST to charge the batteries didn't seem that efficient.

So far I am right at $3000 in parts, but that is still less than 1/2 what I would pay for a system like this (I got quotes or $10K for a 40GPH watermaker). Just a 7.6GPH 12V watermaker will run you $4000 and I'm getting a 12V generator for "free" (this is what I say to my wife when she nuts up over the cost to go cruising)

Downside: Ok...this baby IS a chunk of steel and adds some weight. Not to mention the size of it. If I was tight on space, I wouldn't have been able to pull this off, but I can sit down in my sail locker, so I have some room. I will also have to run diesel fuel lines, electrical lines and unit control lines/cables. I also have to deal with adding water to the exhaust and dump it out of a stern above the waterline via a through hull....so it is a LOT of work. I will also insulate the unit for noise once installed also to be a good neighbor at anchor.

Here are a few photos of the unit sitting in my garage waiting for me to bring THIRD DAY back from La Paz later this month for the install.

Here's the sail locker she going in....

I'll post some final installation photos once complete.

Regards

Rich Boren
S/V THIRD DAY
www.pearson365.com
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svthirdday/
><(((0>
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

Have you run it yet? Have you tasted the water from it yet?
Sad to say it needs more room than a Mac really has to offer. I should go back and see what it was MadMike did . As I recall he has a unit on his boat.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

I read about a watermaker (can't remember the brand name) that operates without electricity. The unit looks a bit like a torpedo and is towed astern. Forward motion of the boat turns the propeller and delivers desalinated water up a tube which is attached to the tow line. It delivers water in a steady drip to a container on board. Nice concept until I spotted the two boat buck price tag. I also wondered about the fact that this thing looked a bit like the mega version of some of my bass plugs. Out in the saltchuck, towing that thing around near the surface at ideal trolling speed, I'd hate to attract something with big fins and teeth.
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

Chinook wrote:I read about a watermaker (can't remember the brand name) that operates without electricity. The unit looks a bit like a torpedo and is towed astern. Forward motion of the boat turns the propeller and delivers desalinated water up a tube which is attached to the tow line. It delivers water in a steady drip to a container on board. Nice concept until I spotted the two boat buck price tag. I also wondered about the fact that this thing looked a bit like the mega version of some of my bass plugs. Out in the saltchuck, towing that thing around near the surface at ideal trolling speed, I'd hate to attract something with big fins and teeth.
I can see it all now Chinook over the side with a boat hook the bride cheering you on as some GWS beats you to a pulp and still takes your $2000 Bass Plug! Hahahahaa :D
bastonjock
Admiral

Post by bastonjock »

it looks a good idea for somewhere that is hot and sunny.I think you would go broke if you offered it here in the UK,a rain catcher is a much cheaper idea,water is more or less free here,when you pull into a garage for some gas you can top up the water tank at the same time for free.

on the whole no one charges for water,we get so much of the stuff :)

on the other hand a sunshine maker could make a man rich 8)
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

bastonjock: Rich is not going to be traveling around here (the USA)
He is heading down the Coast. Past Mexico and then as I recall Central and South America. Water at sea and in some of the locations he happens upon may well be limited and or suspect.
Rich sold his Mac and is outfitting a 36 ft. Pearson for a multiple year Voyage with he and his family
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Rich - it might be a good idea to also rig your 6.5 Kubota to also serve as an emergency high capacity bilge pump - I envision just another pulley that could feed a high volume pump in case you got holed

(My apologies to the Admiral for spending more of your boat bucks)
richandlori
Admiral

Post by richandlori »

Divecoz wrote:Have you run it yet? Have you tasted the water from it yet?.

Not yet. It was test fired by my friend in MD that put it together for me and then shipped it to California. As soon as I get the boat back from La Paz, I'll be doing the install job and figure the first glass of water I drink from the unit will be out of a champaign flute glass!
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

richandlori wrote:
Divecoz wrote:Have you run it yet? Have you tasted the water from it yet?.

Not yet. It was test fired by my friend in MD that put it together for me and then shipped it to California. As soon as I get the boat back from La Paz, I'll be doing the install job and figure the first glass of water I drink from the unit will be out of a champagne flute glass!
Unless the bride is all over this as well, dude,. . . use a paper cup ! Never ever give women ammo !
i.e. " For what it cost us and the space it takes up and noise it makes!!!
That Thing Should Pump Champagne!"
Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes »

I read about a watermaker (can't remember the brand name) that operates without electricity. The unit looks a bit like a torpedo and is towed astern.
Remember it well. It was pretty reasonable $$ as well. An interestng product because it seemed like a no brainer for a sailboat; "free" water compared to a conventional watermaker which consumes gobs of power.

As I recall about two years ago the company ran into serious reliability issues and suspended sales. I assumed they were gone but I just did a search and this is the one I remember. About 3X as expensive as I recall, $3500 puts it I believe somewhat more than a conventional watermaker. So much for "free" water. Perhaps reflecting the cost of making a quality product.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

You've got a better memory than I, Chip. That's the one I read about. Can't you just picture it Decorate one with reflective fish scale pattern down the side, red slash painted vertically near the front, big eyes painted on either side. Definitely the most expensive mako getter in the sea.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Reading all my dark books on losses at sea, Im amazed how many people have a solid high capacity bilge pump and still lose their boat since as soon as the drive belts get wet, they lose the pump.

Duh - if you need the fire hose capacity bilge pump, you probably have a lot of water on board, nicht wahr?

Seems like a cry out for a direct drive or even toothed belt application? One could easily adapt a car engine timing belt gear to a pump which would work even if wet.
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

Catigale wrote:Reading all my dark books on losses at sea, Im amazed how many people have a solid high capacity bilge pump and still lose their boat since as soon as the drive belts get wet, they lose the pump.

Duh - if you need the fire hose capacity bilge pump, you probably have a lot of water on board, nicht wahr?

Seems like a cry out for a direct drive or even toothed belt application? One could easily adapt a car engine timing belt gear to a pump which would work even if wet.
Or A Harley 2ndary Drive belt with pully and cover.