Raymarine Autopilots Who Has One And Do They Work?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Boblee
Admiral

Raymarine Autopilots Who Has One And Do They Work?

Post by Boblee »

More precisely do the work on our boats and if so which model works best?
This is what I got back from Raymarine help.
" Discussion Thread
Response (George Martin) 09/07/2006 09:40 AM
To be perfectly honest with you Raymarine does not have a pilot that works well with the Macgregor, in the past we have had customers use the Sport Pilot with limited success but this pilot has been discontinued and is no longer available, again in all honestly I do not have another manufacturer to recommend either. "
Would like to wait for Vics offering but am running out of time, can anybody help?
Otherwise will have to just run with the Mark2 Wheelpilot and install a larger wheel.
Terry
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Terry »

Bob:"
If you have the RayMarine ST4000 MKII + unit that will work fine, go ahead and install it. I have that model and I believe I got one of the last ones available in my region two years ago. They are no longer available. I find it works better than I expected and I notice most other Mac X & M's have that model also. The MK II does not really require a larger steering wheel unless you have really fat fingers, I have no problem getting my fingers in there but I do have a problem negotiating the pedestal & wheel so a larger wheel is not an option. Luck you if you have one.
Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes »

I have the ST4000 Mk II+ and like it a lot, functionally. See my mod for photos and installation tips. I went for the larger wheel because I wanted one anyway.

Unfortunately, mine has not been particularly reliable. The fluxgate compass quit after less than a season's use; replaced under warranty. The rudder reference sensor crapped out less than a year later. I was not paying attention to the warranty expiration and by the time I figured out what was the problem it had expired. Cost over $200 to replace.

This sailboat specific AP was originally designed for a much larger boat and thus not for a trailerable. My guess is that high speed, long distance trailering is a lot harder on such equipment than anything it would see on the water. My AP has perhaps 10,000 miles of this on it; perhaps that's what keeps killing it.

Even so, if you have one already, I'd say it's a no brainer. Nowadays you can't touch a similar AP for under $1200. Sorry to bust the bubble, but I predict those waiting for the under $600, full function AP rumored, then shamelessly touted on this board will still be waiting on the day hull freezes over.
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

I don't have the AP yet but they are available now for just over $1000 from one seller and $1200 from another with free delivery to Aust but we are also up for another 10% GST unless it can be sent in two parts.
Looks like that will be the way to go (if the boss agrees).
was just a bit confused by Raymarines response.
Thanks for the help will check the mods as have been wondering about the rudder position sender.
Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes »

I'm a little puzzled by the response as well.

The Sportpilot was designed as a small, inexpensive powerboat autopilot, for which it apparently worked tolerably well. However, despite a number on this board who liked theirs, IMO it was not well suited for a boat used primarily in sailbaot mode; I know at least two owners who had them on 26x and scrapped them in favor of the ST4000.

On the other hand, my ST4000 seemed ideally suited for sailing and low speed powering; I never even tried it for high speed powering so don't know if it worked for that at all. But I don't know why it wouldn't have been recommended unless at the time that was written (9/06) it was already known to be on its way out; perhaps reliability problems?

I believe the current model S2 system with the same Mk II+ wheeldrive, fluxgate compass and rudder reference sensor, but with the uprated ST6000 series control head is functionally nearly identical and should perform as well as the ST4000. So if they have fixed whatever it is that made them discontinue the ST4000 that one should be good as well, though I believe it's considerably more $$ than the ST4000.

Don't know if youre quoting $US or $AUS, but the price you're quoting seems a little steep for a model which has been discontinued for nearly two years. As I recall mine was US $750 four years ago when it was state of the art.
delevi
Admiral

Post by delevi »

I have the S1 smartpilot from Ramairne. Intalled it about 6 months ago. Works great. I too am puzzled why yo got the reply that you did. Keeps a good course under sail, even in heavy air. Works well under power over 10 mph with fins up. Below that, you need fins down. Its only weakness is in heavy seas on the quarter stern, which is one of the more challanging points of sail for any sail boat, particularly a light-weight Mac.

I have the older :macm: pedistals which allows to mount the bracket for the wheel directly to the ped. Raymarine's bracket is too shor to mount to our ped post per their instructions, but 4 bolts through the fiberglass ped works just fine. The new pedestals would require fabrication of a custom aluminum bracket, though I can't imagine this would cost much more than $100. Pm me if you have more questions.

Good luck,
Leon
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

Sorry Chip I was quoting the S1 but did bid on your model recently which was new in box on a sailboat from the states but stopped at $700.
I believed I was being run and as these two women wanted pickup only in Sydney? (800K's) it just wasn't worth it.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I've got a Simrad ap12 and so far (1 season) it works great. It's quite a bit more expensive than the Raymarine Sport Pilot was but I still think it was worth the cost. The only drawback is that it is a bit difficult to install on the M with the stainless support tube and the small steering pedestal. I think it would be easier on Xs as well as the newer Ms with the all fiberglass pedestal only because there is a bit more room inside both those stearing pedestals. Once it is installed however it is completly invisible other than the small control head that you can mount wherever you want.

Steve
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

See a AP14H on ebay but have no idea what that is but think it has a hydrualic drive.
Everything else is Raymarine so might as well keep it that way.
AmyTom
Just Enlisted

Post by AmyTom »

I have the ST4000+ on my larger PDQ Catameran and love it! hooked up with a C80, ST60 wind, ST60 Tridata, 18" Radar and the 600W Sounder module. A huge chunk of change but well worth it! We even have a spare on board "just in case"
JohnSn

WM is closing out S1s

Post by JohnSn »

Just an idea for you... WM is starting to carry the RayMarine S5 and so they'll cut a deal on the S1. I just bought one for $1085. I'm a little undecided on whether or not I'll return it and wait for the <$600 Mac specific one.

John
Zoran
First Officer

Post by Zoran »

I installed S1 last year and I am very happy with it, works like a charm. I connected it with my gps plotter and it will follow the course, a bit zigzaging but nothing major. I am single handed most of the time and it is huge help. works well under sail, actually that is when it shines for us single hand sailors.

Zoran
Boblee
Admiral

Post by Boblee »

Thanks and it looks like the S1 is the way to go especially with the price difference to some of the older secondhand ones.
When the admiral is on board it's not a problem but looks like I will be doing quite a bit of single handing shortly and need more than a bungee to hold course while I am at the wrong end of the boat.
Would be good if the S1 could cook too though as I cook as good as I sail, and also need someone to eat all the fish :?
James V
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by James V »

I have the S1 as well and the remote. Does great. The only problems have been a scew that came loose, the batteries for the remote only last about 20 hrs and so much salt spray into the cockpit that I had to wash out the inside of the wheel. 200 hrs so far. I put the control head inside the cabin and use the remote in the cockpit. Steers better than me. Not perfect but great on passages longer than 1 hr. Always turn it on.

I changed out the wheel to 18 inch. Cheepest crew that I have.

Keeping the screws on the rudders close (tight) helps and making sure that the motor is aligned with the rudders as well.

I asked Raymarine a lot of questions but this is my first Autopilot and I did not know what to expect. The S1 is the best that you can get.