Hunters Version of the Mac26

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Chip Hindes
Admiral

Re: Hunters Version of the Mac26

Post by Chip Hindes » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:12 pm

I have nothing against Hunters, they're nice boats, but the standard Hunter 260 was priced at thousands more than a comparably equipped Mac. Will the Ege undercut the 260? I'd like to see the actual math behind the statment that the Hunter and Mac comparably equipped will be comparably priced. Though I don't quite see the $10K difference quoted below, I'm thinking it will be substantial.

I'd also like to know the source and nature of the data that Mac is cutting back production.

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:59 pm

I ordered my mac26m in the first wk of Nov /07 it was built I believe Dec /28/07, 2008 model , that was a 2 month wait in the slow season, during the spring people who ordered new boats were waiting three or more months ? , so why would they cut back production unless their starting production on the new Mac 70m, or phasing out the Mac26M for a new model for 2010 production a new power sailor in the 26-28ft range !

J

Frank C

Post by Frank C » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:19 pm

Highlander wrote: . .. why would they (Macgregor Yachts) cut back production . . .
Most likely because their facility is not green enough for our land of kooks & fairies ... beautiful SoCal. :wink:

David Mellon
Captain

Post by David Mellon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:45 pm

The last time I went to the factory the yard was full of boats and the factory looked busy. I picked up a new mast raiser, the old one bent in a freak accident of nature, moonlight reflected off of swamp gas and blinded bigfoot who tripped over pieces of a flying saucer snapping the line and bending the stainless steel straps at the bottom.

James V
Admiral

Post by James V » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:31 am

I wonder if the new 70 footer is going to be made in the factory in Ca or France?

puggsy
Captain
Sailboat: Venture 25
Location: MACLESS but not quite BOATLESS in Perth Western Australia

Post by puggsy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:16 am

From what I can see, they are already behind with the mast raising system. Having to pull upwards from what looks like a deck mounted pulley is a strain on the back. From this it seems as if the MAC 'winch on the pole' system is copyrighted and they were not able to exactly copy it. Especially in a mass production run. Secondly, the mini shrouds are awfully low on the mast to prevent side sway. The stresses must be magnified. And where is the 'head' inside??? The cabin is roomy and very open....but where is the 'head'.
Can't comment on the single rudder...it must be somehow 'sheathed' in the stern.
Now if Roger can slightly alter the "M" with a few improvements, he can forget about worrying about any competition,
1. An inbuilt cable channel right through the hull to add accessories, with regular outlets. We still supply the fruit and cable.
2. A similar channel inbuilt into the mast for the same purpose...
All that is needed is a long length of PVC tubing running the length...Not much cost there. But Oh! the ease of adding anything. I am sure there is more, but I'm going to give it some more thought...
And Hunter have stuck with the pivoted drop keel....not a bad idea in itself, but you then have to ask why Roger changed to a daggerboard...He's already...'done' the dropkeel bit with the "X".
Obviously its to get rid of the central box...which in the "M" made room for the 'head'.
If I am wrong in any of this, I'm sure you guy's will put me right.

Puggsy :macm:

LOUIS B HOLUB
Admiral

Re:

Post by LOUIS B HOLUB » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:21 am

Highlander wrote:With the built in swim platform you are actualy looking @ a 24ft boat cabin interior & with a large cockpit your shrinking the cabin space . When Roger made the eng well smaller on the 26m he was able to extend the mac26m cabin by about 2ft !! :wink:

J
Personally, I think that is one of the more important points of difference between this Hunder and a Mac-M. In addition, you'll notice the Hunter rear berth is positioned that folks have to climb over one another instead of the convenience and better berth design of the "M" (and including the "X"). Mac cabin space has the edge over the Edge :!:
I cant imagine anyone choozing this Hunter over a Mac M, considering the pricing, accomodations, and easier trailering design. Just my opinion.
:macx:

baldbaby2000
Admiral

Post by baldbaby2000 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 pm

I cant imagine anyone choozing this Hunter over a Mac M, considering the pricing, accomodations, and easier trailering design. Just my opinion.
If it sails better that would be a big deal for me.

Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:28 am

I'd also like to know the source and nature of the data that Mac is cutting back production
Direct communication to us from factory, ie, the horses mouth.

Love MACs
Captain
Location: Eddyville, KY; 2002 X, 50hp Merc-4 stroke: Dream Chaser

Post by Love MACs » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:01 am

OK...but now can u tell us exactly why the cut back in production. From the dealers here, sails seems to be up for the MAC???

Allan

Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:10 am

Specifics werent given. If it is an environmental issue, it would be a matter of public record under the California equivalent of an emissions permit though.

Pure conjecture on my part - the weak dollar probably also means there is a lot more overseas business than previous, so allocations in NA might be pinched by that too.

Good news if you already own a Mac of course!!!

AWKIII
First Officer

Post by AWKIII » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:33 am

Pricing is pretty comparable for the two boats.

You need to take the 26M MSRP and add just about all of the factory options since most of these are standard on the Edge. Then look at the standard gear the Hunter has over the Mac. The average buyer will eventually install a lot of it. This also needs to be factored.

We have two Edge 27's. One in white and one in dark navy. The white boat with standard equipment is $29,950.00. It is a lot of boat for the buck. When looking at the Mac and Edge side by side there are some very obvious differences.

Hunter is looking to convert existing Mac owners although some may. They are looking to carve out their own piece of the powersailor market.

We are a dealer for both and think we have the bases covered.

baldbaby2000
Admiral

Post by baldbaby2000 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:53 am

Art,

Why don't you bring one up to Chatfield and race it?

Daniel

Langg
Just Enlisted
Location: Nashville TN. 2003 26M, Yamaha T50, "Chasing The Wind"

Post by Langg » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:16 am

From what 'boating atlanta' told me...they had to cut production in half or put scrubbers on their smoke stacks
so i guess cut in half was the better option. They were releasing to much junk into the air.

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:52 am

I sold a Mac 26 to a couple awhile back that was going to buy a Hunter. They went to the Hunter factory to see how they were made. The Hunter people kept comparing, and contrasting, the Hunter (favorably) to the Mac (unfavorably).
They hadn't heard of the Mac; went home and did some research; and bought a Mac from me.
Thanks Hunter.