Getting an X off the trailer

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Retcoastie
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Sorry, Rick

Post by Retcoastie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Sorry Rick, but I sure do NOT like your fix. If I understand, your new hanger is going to go across the top of the frame and be welded to the frame. Not good!

All the weight and shock loads will now be on the weld beads. It is far stronger to have the hanger below the frame, so that the frame is riding on the hanger and the weld beads are merely holding it in position.

Also, welding the hanger onto the frame with vertical welds will weaken the frame, possibly causing stress cracks later on. When putting a slice or patch on a beam, the only welds used should be parallel to the length of the beam.

If your going to have a welder come to you, he could weld the hanger under the frame where it should go anyway. If you are still going to put the hanger over the frame, at least put a large bolt thru the hanger touching the bottom of the frame so that the bolt will take the loads.

MHO

Ken

rfm1992
Just Enlisted

Re: Getting an X off the trailer

Post by rfm1992 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:30 am

Thanks Ken. Here's a crude drawing of the hanger I made, after it slips over the frame I'll add the plate across the bottom of the frame.Image

I hadn't thought about the weld having a weakning effect on the frame. :o I see your point, maybe I'll make a new hanger today before I call a welder.

Rick

Retcoastie
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Retcoastie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:01 am

Rick,

I think you would be a lot safer to make a new bracket, or shorten that one so that it would fit under the frame. The added piece you were planning still would have all the weight and loads being carried by weld beads.

Be Safe.

Ken

Phillip
First Officer

Post by Phillip » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Rick,
why don't you just buy a new hanger?
I don't like your solution at all....maybe as a quick fix to get you home......but as a long-term repair....no.
Just my opinon.
Cheers
Phillip

rfm1992
Just Enlisted

Post by rfm1992 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:26 am

Got it in the water now, :D thanks for the help and suggestions. Now I need to add another axle.

Rick

Rich Walton
Chief Steward

Post by Rich Walton » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:50 am

Rick, I did the 2 axel kit from champion it worked well and no welder needed.

Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:47 pm

A number of years ago I corresponded with someone who had purchased a Champion bolt-on two axle kit. For some reason it didn't fit; as I recall there was a clearance issue between the axle and the trailer frame. Probably the person I was corresponding with had made a mistake in the order. Unfortunately these kits are built specially to order based on frame measurements and Champion refused to take it back.

Obviously, based on Rich's experience it's possible to get it right; just be careful out there.

The bolt-on kits cost considerably more than ordering the separate pieces and having them welded. The choice is yours.