Shore Power Amp Service?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

corkscrew
Engineer

Shore Power Amp Service?

Post by corkscrew » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:28 am

Again, newbie - sorry if it's a dumb question. Many marinas offer 30 /50 / 100 amp service. Not sure what I need for my mac? I got a starting battery, deepcycle battery, and my big plug for the outside of my boat. Is this a really dumb question? I've always just plugged into a regular outlet ...

ModsEdit: just to clarify title ~fc

Bobby T.-26X #4767
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Amp Service?

Post by Bobby T.-26X #4767 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:08 pm

unless you're running an airconditioner, microwave, elec heater, coffee maker , hair dryer all at the same time...you probably don't need anything but a standard plug into your Mac.
this is what i use to run on-board charger and a couple of outlets...

so, my cord has the standard female plug on the boat side, and the 30 amp male on the dock side (see picture below), connected w/ a 14 guage cord.

Bob T.
"DāBob"
'02X w/ '04 90-TLDI (14" x 11 pitch)
Dinghy Motor: '06 2.5-Suzuki

Frank C

Re: Shore Power Amp Service?

Post by Frank C » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:50 pm

Agree with Bob's advice. First & foremost, look at the receptacle on your dock and get a matching cord.

My marina just provides a simple outlet, same house-power 110v in a weather-box. A basic heavy-duty extension cord does the job. 8)

Hardcrab
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: "Cease-fire", White 05 M, 90hp, Boggy Bayou, Niceville, FL

Re: Amp Service?

Post by Hardcrab » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:03 pm

Bobby T is right on the money on one hand, but in looking around, the standard seems to be 30 amp connectors on both ends for boats our length in my area.
If you have any eye on resale down the road, the 30 just might be the way to go IMHO.
Wire size for a 30 amp circuit is 10 AWG. That's pretty heavy stuff, if you don't need it.
You can always reduce the wire size in the dock cable to agree with the circuit breaker/load you use, assuming you build your own dock cable.
14 AWG for 15 amp breaker.
12 AWG for 20 amp breaker.

Of course, by going with the 30 now, you will be covered if you decide to add something else to your electrical load down the road.

(Hubble makes a well made stainless steel receptical for the boat and the dock cable connectors for less than the usual cheap plastic stuff found at West Marine.
A google search should bring up the info).

Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:07 pm

I installed the 15amp reverse plug inlet pictured above. It let's you use a standard extension cord. I picked up a yellow 50' - 12 guage one at Home Depot. The yellow blends with all the other overpriced marine cords on the dock and I like the glowing end at the inlet that confirms I have power. I bought a 30amp to 15amp adapter plug to use at the docks. Every dock in the Northwest I've been at over the last 8 years has had a the same 30amp twist lock connector (except a couple Canadian ones which had the standard 15amp outlets). Adapters are available at all marine stores.

This let's me use a standard extension cord plugged into a normal outlet here at home, and the same cord with the adapter at a dock. This makes it easy to keep the boat plugged in when on the trailer and the batteries topped up. It also gives me AC for tools, heaters and fans when the boat is at home on the trailer. It also let's me carry another extra standard 50' orange cord for those times when the yellow 50' is just not enough.

Inside my reverse plug inlet is wired to a marine double pole 15amp breaker. From there it goes to plastic junction box that feeds my charger, and a pair of outlets in the cabin. The first outlet in the string is a GFCI which protects the second.

dennisneal
First Officer
Location: Riverside, CA, '06 26M, 60HP Etec; Sailing out of Marina Del Rey

Post by dennisneal » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:13 pm

I bought a heavy-duty 30 Amp cable on sale at Waste Marine. I figure the voltage drop will be minimal with a big cord. I also bought a 30 Amp Marinco inlet box via Ebay. But, otherwise, inside the boat I'll run 20 Amps, GFCI, of course. Most of my household circuits are only 15 Amp. Twenty Amp service should be more than adquate.

Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade, but there's a reason all those other yellow cords at the marina are "overpriced". They're sealed at both ends and waterproof when mated properly, covered in UV resistant vinyl, thicker, padded against chafe damage, and reinforced to withstand a substantially higher pull than a standard duty cord.

Water and electricity are not good companions, and the last thing you place you want to save a few bucks is on a cheap extension cord. Even if you don't electrocute yourself or one of your dockmates, stray current leakage due to inadequate electrical systems is a major cause of galvanic corrosion damage in marinas.

Our yacht club has had a rule prohibiting these for some time, but has not enforced the rule. One of the new members who is a licensed code inspector pointed out that kids (and adults for that matter) swim off the docks and that he considered it unsafe as long as there were standard duty cords being used. He also stated that it was at least a code violation and made both the club and the owner liable for a hefty fine. The rule is now enforced. I understand some marinas in our area are doing the same.

West Marine had these on sale for $40 last week. Do ourself and the rest of us a favor and either get the right cord or don't plug in.

pokerrick1
Admiral
Sailboat: Venture 23

Post by pokerrick1 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:48 pm

What Chip said!

Rick :) :macm:

USAF M26X sailor
Chief Steward

Post by USAF M26X sailor » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:15 am

I also used the 15A Male Plug. To make installation easier, I replaced the knockout plug for the port stern rudder cleat. Adds a little more weather protection when the cord is plugged in.

Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:20 am

You can always reduce the wire size in the dock cable to agree with the circuit breaker/load you use
Well, you wouldnt want to do this actually.

You want the wire size to match the rating of the dock outlet that you will encounter at home and on travels, which in NA is usually 30 Amps and occasionally 50 Amps.

You can plug a lower rated cord in using an adapter, but at my dock, if anyone sees this they will tell the dockmaster and it will be removed. Second time it gets cut in two.

I share Chip's feelings on the mixing of water and electricity.

What you do in your driveway is your business of course.

Bobby T.-26X #4767
Captain

Post by Bobby T.-26X #4767 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:59 am

OK...i give

one of these (50A - Y Adapter $500)...

and a couple of these (30A - 50' $80each)...

and plug on-board to a couple of these (30A $75 each)

Bob T.
"DāBob"
'02X w/ '04 90-TLDI (14" x 11 pitch)
Dinghy Motor: '06 2.5-Suzuki

Hardcrab
Captain
Location: "Cease-fire", White 05 M, 90hp, Boggy Bayou, Niceville, FL

Post by Hardcrab » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:16 pm

KHE, you are right about the dockmaster.
Whatever he wants, he gets.

Kelly Hanson East
Admiral
Location: Kelly Hanson Marine........Mac 26M Dealer......Freedom Boat Works

Post by Kelly Hanson East » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:57 am

Someday Ill write the definitive treatise on shore power. Ive already got it titled..

Cutting the Cabal on Shorepower

:D :D

tangentair
Admiral

Post by tangentair » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:30 am

Kelly Hanson East wrote:Someday Ill write the definitive treatise on shore power. Ive already got it titled..

Cutting the Cabal on Shorepower

:D :D
:D and then follow it up with Taking the shock out of lightning prevention

James V
Admiral

Post by James V » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:46 am

Same problem with me. I have a 50 foot 30 amp cord and an adapator to change it to 15 amp. I also have a 25 foot 15 amp cord. Sometimes the 25 foot is too short. The problem that you can run into with the adapator is that it is not watertight and if you get rain you can be without power until it dries out. Try to find a special on 50 feet of 30 amp cord and get a good 25 foot 15 amp. Use the adapator inside the boat.

I cannot see you using 30 amps, at most 12. The distances from the power pole often is over 20 feet and often do not have 15 amp service.

If you are going to be using a local marina most of the time, check with them first.

the same with water hose. 25 feet is most often short. a total of 50 feet is best.