using rudders in a horizontal (shoal?) position

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
restless
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

using rudders in a horizontal (shoal?) position

Post by restless »

Just a thought that came to me the other day.. when going into shallows or onto the trailer, has anyone played around with laying a rudder horizontaly to help with low speed shallow steering? I've spent a lot of time coming up with a handy shoal rudder plan but have not yet found an elegant solution.
Not tried this idea yet, and I know one needs to be sure to set it right so one doesn't end up swinging the rudder into the prop :o Already seen what that does :(

Has anyone got results or horror stories to report :?:
Retcoastie
Captain

Re: using rudders in a horizontal (shoal?) position

Post by Retcoastie »

I have done it, but mostly by accident. The steering becomes more difficult. I think the longer rudder puts much more stress on the brackets. You gotta figure the amount of leverage the added length has. If I did it on purpose, it would have to be dead slow.

Good luck and try not to break anything. Knowing what the breaking strength of the brackets is, is not something I need to know. 8) 8)
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

For the tiller boats,this isnt so relevant, but for the :macx: and :macm: the danger is you will break the steering gear rather than the brackets..thats really ugly...
restless
First Officer

Post by restless »

I have Seriously beefed up the steering on restless... (hydraulics + loads of welding on every component) the weakest point is now the actual rudder itself. I think it was c130king who said it all looks like 'terminator grade hardware'... I've had every standard bit fail on us already!
I was just wondering if it was do-able. Maybe the steering will be too heavy, I've noticed that if a rudder is not fully down. Guess I'll just have to try it out and relay the experience.
McTexan
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Post by McTexan »

Having shortened the tiller to allow more room in the cockpit, I find the IdaSailor rudder in the horizontal mode to be a bit unwieldy with less leverage. On the other hand, it flips up when it needs to, so with this one, not an issue. I have this idea that I would like a bracket that would slide up and down for the motor in the center of the boat with the rudder bracketed to the motor, and operate them both with the same tiller. Crazy? I dunno. :)
Sloop John B
Captain

Post by Sloop John B »

If it's shallow, but not too shallow, drop one rudder and have it held down by a substituted bungy cord. Otherwise, simply wrap the hold down line a couple times around the horn cleat, that is, don't cleat it, so that it will come up easily upon smacking into a large rock.

I once grounded with both rudders tied down. For going very slow the sand stopped the boat on a dime and prevented me from crunching onto an oyster bar. I'd missed a couple markers in a trecherous channel.

Only splay your rudders out horizontal when oozing over a dead elephant carcus.
Theo
Engineer

Post by Theo »

I occasionally use the rudders in horizontal configuration to motor my X up onto the trailer in a cross current. I usually use only one rudder to ease the stress on the other steering components. With the rudders horizontal they do not interfer wih the prop so you do not have that problem. The steeing does become very heavy though. This whole operaration is designed for maximum control with the centerboard up at minimum speed with very gentle inputs.

Theo