A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

c130king
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Winter Boat Camping

Post by c130king » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Fxwg80hd wrote:Jim:

Best of luck with the ice. Looking out my window everything is frozen solid. It will take a really warm day and a lot of wind to get rid of the ice. If you can, call before you waste to much time driving.

Chris
Does that mean it is too cold for you?

If the marina is blocked with ice I have a few projects I can work on. Just a chance to look at my boat will make me feel better. And beside I get to wear the new thermal underwear I got for Xmas... :D

Jim

Fxwg80hd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Fxwg80hd » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:39 pm

To cold, get to look out every day and see an ocean of ice wondering when will it go away. Not going to happen this weekend, but might get lucky one day next week. Going hiking instead. Have fun.

Chris

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:33 am

Y'know, as cold as it got down here in Florida *coughParadisecough* this winter, I heard just a couple days ago that 49 of the 50 states in the United States had snowfall...only one state didn't report any snowfall...and that would be...8)

You know, I really do try hard to feel sorry for you guys in the snow...I do... :D :D

With all this talk about winter boat camping, I'm thinking about buying a little storage place down here and opening up a...a...private Winter Mac-only Campground Club where all those cold lonely sailboats can come get away from the harsh winter and hang around and make smores and such... :wink:

(I don't know why, but these snow jokes just seem so funny right now...)

We like to camp out at certain state parks in this cold weather - we tent camp about 6 or 7 times each season (Thanksgiving to Easter) and there are often nights where the temps get down to...really cold...so cold your face hurts sticking out of the covers... So last season we heard that it was going to be that kind of cold (like 40F) as the weekend for the camping trip approached - so we bought a little $15 electric heater with thermostat at Home Depot and put it in our tent on that trip - kept the tent around 55-60 degrees which was just right - slept like babies. I'm thinking that I'd keep it handy for staying overnight on the boat when docked at a marina or when we're sleeping in it at a campground en route to the water...

J.Teixeira
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: ARIANE - Europe - Portugal - Douro Valey - Dehler 24 - Bass Fishing

Post by J.Teixeira » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:30 am

Hi

I climb mountains for fun.

http://www.guiademontanha.com

Pictures: http://www.pbase.com/guiademontanha/alpinismo&page=all

We get some realy low temperatures up there inside the tents

The solution is simple

1 - good ground insulation
2 - good sleeping bags
3 - warm drinks (water based)
4 - head convered

We portuguese added another point.

A small cup off Port wine (2cm)

In small quantities it acts as an antifreezing an alows blood to reach all the body extremeties...

Also calms and gives a good night sleep

(Don't use high alcoolic drinks like wisky)

I do this on the boat and it works fine

Jose

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:23 am

Hey ... I was just in Montanha :D