J.Teixeira
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: ARIANE - Europe - Portugal - Douro Valey - Dehler 24 - Bass Fishing

Re: Is version C, S or D better sail than ver M or X

Post by J.Teixeira » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi

Just one personal opinion...

Downwind a :macx: is an incredibly fast SAIL boat.

It can plane almost above the water ...

But it needs an experienced crew to do it...

Regards

Jose

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:00 pm

I agree with my limited knowlage of sailing I know I could greatly improve the boats performance with the assistance of a good taction & crew !

J 8)
PS thats why I like to sail with Beene & Alex :) :wink:

ronacarme
Captain

Post by ronacarme » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:25 pm

I sailed my old 26D from 1988 to 2000, and replaced it with a new 26X for the 2001 season and to date. On a close reach my old 1988 26D left behind many boats that leave behind my present 2001 26X. Not a big surprise ivo the X dragging a wider deeper transom and having higher displacement. The heavier X needed a bigger tow vehicle.
The X suits us better now....wheel steering and ability to balance CB against sailplan of the moment enables the X to reliably selfsteer to windward and close reaching, X has much mere livable interior layout (standing headroom, view thru forward cabin windows, roomy vberth, roomy head, comfy dinette, handy galley).......
Ron

Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:34 am

Short version -

In theory - handicap is the number of seconds you add to the time for a boat to sail one mile (nuatical?) to 'equalise boat design and have the adjusted time reflect skipper and crew sailing ability separate from the boat design.

In practice - whoever pays the most money to the PHRF crew gets the highest handicap and 'wins' the most PHRF races.

The PHRF rating of the X and D,S boats is pure fiction - the X is much slower than these rockets....