Raise the goal? lowering/raising mast on water

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Raise the goal? lowering/raising mast on water

Post by Divecoz »

I dont have my roller furler yet.. Its still up at Bills..
So allow me to ask? If its easy ( BTDT) raising and lowering the mast without a Roller.. Whats it like WITH a roller??
CDI typical Mac Roller...
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Raise the goal? lowering/raising mast on water

Post by Highlander »

Depends on how many furler's ya have going up @ the same time !! :D :D :D :D
To bad yer never talked to me first I have a practally new Mac Furler "CDI Knock off" up for for grabs $$$, as I bought two new Harken 00 furler's with dual alum foils

Their is more problems with the weight issue more so if the head sail is still attached really depends on how the wind & weather is at the time of raising the mast and of course yer kindly passing boats doing 30mp/h in a 6mp/h no wake zone !!! :evil: now thats a PITA

J 8)
J.Teixeira
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: ARIANE - Europe - Portugal - Douro Valey - Dehler 24 - Bass Fishing

Post by J.Teixeira »

Hi Divecoz

Remember to be careful with the front windows because the roller furler will "try" to scratch them ... :o

Jose
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Just take your time. Conditions on the water obviously make a difference. The most annoying problem I have faced is waterskier's. The tow boat drivers don't care how close they come to you. When your boat starts rocking, just wait it out.

Jose is correct about the furler. Just take your time.

Ray
Gypsy
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Gypsy »

I have a furler on mine as well . It is a pain in the hindquarters , it trys to hang on everything as the mast is going up . You also have that extra weight to lift .

:macx:

But I would rather have the furler than not !
bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac »

Right....forgot about that one....this thread of raising/lowering the mast had me wondering and then I realised I fitted a furler since the last time I raised the mast and haven't gone through the motions especially on the water
Terry
Admiral

Post by Terry »

There is an easy way that someone else here posted and I copied. Take a short peice of line, (aprox. 18") attach a carabiner to each end, clip one end to the roller furler drum and the other end to the line on the mast raising gin pole that connects to the bow cleat. As the mast comes up the carabiner will slide down that line to the cleat carrying the furler drum with it. When completely raised the drum will be lying at the cleat and all you do is connect the furler to the foretang. Oh yea, one more thing, do not get butterfingers or you may drop the pin for the furler over the bow and lose it. Best have an extra one hanging close by to grab in case you do drop it. It is easy to do! Drop it I mean... :D
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

That sounds pretty dang good to me . I will as well , maybe have my brother construct me a " sail-cover" of sorts .. like a envelope?? with a big zipper and padded ?? Flat sheet tapered top to bottom with a zipper to close it? Zip it on when the most is up? Lower away...
But I like the idea of a horizontal support to carry the whole unit.. maybe a bungee at the turnbuckle ? just the right length and thickness to allow me to control that mast and Roller keeping tension on that roller..I Don't know if I'll really need to do this, but it sure increases some options in front of me ../ if I need to $$$ passing under a bridge versus paying another $100K for the same house on the other side of the bridge....
Terry wrote:There is an easy way that someone else here posted and I copied. Take a short piece of line, (aprox. 18") attach a carabiner to each end, clip one end to the roller furler drum and the other end to the line on the mast raising gin pole that connects to the bow cleat. As the mast comes up the carabiner will slide down that line to the cleat carrying the furler drum with it. When completely raised the drum will be lying at the cleat and all you do is connect the furler to the foretang. Oh yea, one more thing, do not get butterfingers or you may drop the pin for the furler over the bow and lose it. Best have an extra one hanging close by to grab in case you do drop it. It is easy to do! Drop it I mean... :D
Hardcrab
Captain
Location: "Cease-fire", White 05 M, 90hp, Boggy Bayou, Niceville, FL

Post by Hardcrab »

Divecoz,
I may be the one who first posted the "sliding up the gin pole line" method a few years ago.
Try it.
It works like nobodys business.

The furler is limited to just tracking/sliding up and down the gin pole line in solo, hands-free, perfect sync with the mast going up or coming down.
It is so simple and easy as to be beyond belief.
The boat should have come from the factory with this simple tool/idea.

Terry uses two carabiner hooks whereas I use just one.
A 12" to 18" inch diameter loop of small stuff thats cats-pawed around the unpinned furler and then clipped to the gin pole line.
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

You have a picture of this little line/carabiner trick? I have a CDI furler on my S forestay, and the old style mast raising system...the "rope" going from the gin pole down to the deck cleat is actually a set of block/tackle that doesn't leave much room for a carabiner, so I'm trying to picture it in my head and it isn't working...
Québec 1
Admiral

Post by Québec 1 »

Terry wrote:There is an easy way that someone else here posted and I copied. Take a short peice of line, (aprox. 18") attach a carabiner to each end, clip one end to the roller furler drum and the other end to the line on the mast raising gin pole that connects to the bow cleat. As the mast comes up the carabiner will slide down that line to the cleat carrying the furler drum with it. When completely raised the drum will be lying at the cleat and all you do is connect the furler to the foretang. Oh yea, one more thing, do not get butterfingers or you may drop the pin for the furler over the bow and lose it. Best have an extra one hanging close by to grab in case you do drop it. It is easy to do! Drop it I mean... :D
Geese, missed that one! Thanks for your posting. will be applying this method asap. 8)
Q1
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I just use bungy cords on the same method one furler on either side

J
PS I use small sail bags over the furler drums when transporting to keep them clean & from scratching the deck

J
Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul »

I do it often on the water. For some reason, it seems like less work to pack up, if you have already done the mast and boom while on the water,, and anyway, it just seems more fun messing about with boats when they are on the water for some reason :?: but, last week, I did it,,, dropped that dang furler pin in the drink :!: Anybody know where you can get spares for that standard mac furler?
Divecoz
Admiral

Post by Divecoz »

Paul I cannot help you on the pin.... I am sure someone can....... in fact The Highlander : ) has a unit as you describe for sale and knowing John as I have come to know him ..... I have no doubt he knows what ya need and where to get them.. YSYK.... I carry extra ,every dang thing ,in a small clear " Plano Box" for my boat .. in way of pins bolts etc. .. and I have used them from time to time..
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

If your talking about the clevis pin on the bottom that pins to your chain plate at the bow their standard at any marina buy a slightly longer one makes it easier to get the ring ding on & I always tie-wrap my ring-dings so as they do not get caught on any lines

J