Roller Furling

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

I sail with the 150 Genny and furl it to the 100 position or so in heavy wind (>15-20 mph), with main reefed first.

Im still heavy weather helm in this configuration.

I then use the jib cars on the tracks next to the companionway instead of the genoa cars

The shape is not optimal but on the Hudson river you are tacking so fast you dont notice....

:)
jim nolan
Chief Steward

Post by jim nolan »

I have two sets of jib lines for my 135 genoa. one set goes out side the shrouds, and one on the inside. they are always hooked up. The inner set is lighter line. You might think they would get tangled, but they work very well.
Jack O'Brien
Captain

Headsail Cover

Post by Jack O'Brien »

My boat came with head and main sail covers. I have found the headsail cover so loose, even on the genny, that it flaps in the wind - annoyingly so. As I have the UV stripes on both headsails I seldom use the cover. If I do, I have to spiral wrap the idle jib halyard around it to stop the flapping.

Anybody have a better solution?
Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro »

If you have a UV stripe why bother with a second zip on cover at all? We have a UV stripe and it is all that is needed to protect the sail. Dump the zip on cover or stash it way below under the aft berth where the sun don't shine.
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa »

Jack wrote: I have found the headsail cover so loose, even on the genny, that it flaps in the wind - annoyingly so.
Hmm, that kind of sounds like a more likely possibility for premature sail failure than a little UV at lunchtime...IMO

Duane, my problem is that I have a Genoa with a UV strip and a Jib without one.
Frank C

Re: Headsail Cover

Post by Frank C »

Jack O'Brien wrote:My boat came with head and main sail covers. I have found the headsail cover so loose, even on the genny, that it flaps in the wind - annoyingly so. . . . . Anybody have a better solution?
Add two or three twists to the sock to prevent flogging. Just turn the bottom of the sock cylinder a few times and tie it to maintain the twist.
8)
Richard O'Brien
Captain

Genoa tracks question?

Post by Richard O'Brien »

Can someone explain to me how moving the cars such a short distancefor and aft: (approx. 2') makes such a signifigant difference in performance My Genny , a 150, seems so big unfurled that those 2' seem insignifigant?
Richard O'Brien
Captain

Genoa tracks question?

Post by Richard O'Brien »

Can someone explain to me how moving the cars such a short distance for and aft: (approx. 2') makes such a signifigant difference in performance My Genny , a 150, seems so big unfurled that those 2' seem insignifigant?
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa »

Its all in the angle that the sheet is pulling the leech of the sail. If the cars are moved further forward (up) then you are pulling the clew/leech more straight down which tightens up the top of the sail for maximum power in lighter wind. Power up.

If the cars are moved further aft (down) then you are pulling more horizontally on the clew/leech which lets the sail twist up top to spill some air, powering down the sail in higher winds.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Richard - on moving the cars Ill step up and confess I am an advanced Mac Lover but still a beginning sailor...

I sail mostly on the Hudson and havent been able to tune the rig by adjusting the cars in a systematic way...usually because my next tack is 30 seconds away!!

I wouldnt focus on this if you are new to this boat..the things that I recall learning the hard way are ..

Reef early
Make sure rudders are down hard and cleated
Playing with the centerboard to shift the center of action was most effective for balancing the weather helm

Catigale