CAN MAC 26M BE BOUGHT WITHOUT THE SINGLE AXLE MAC TRAILER

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

tidalwave
Engineer

CAN MAC 26M BE BOUGHT WITHOUT THE SINGLE AXLE MAC TRAILER

Post by tidalwave » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:59 pm

I am starting to look at different sailboats (on the web) with water ballast.
I would like my next boat trailer to have tandem axles...but the Official MacGregor (Manufacturers) site states that the boat comes with a single axle trailer. Can I buy the boat without a trailer...I would prefer to have a tandem
trailer from a manufacturer rather than convert the Mac Trailer to tandem. :| :|

Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:10 pm

The boat is moved, shipped and delivered, two to a container, on the stock trailer. There is no other way to transport it. There is simply no incentive for a dealer to sell you a boat without a trailer, and a lot of disincentives.

There might be a slim possibiilty that the factory would allow you to buy one, right off the factory floor if you picked it up off the floor yourself. My guess is not. Also, you're going to forfeit dealer prep and installation of the accesories you want plus end up paying a whale of a lot more in the long run for transportation to MN.

This is from someone who agrees the Mac trailer is at best marginal: As long as you don't intend to regularly launch in salt water, and therefore don't need a galvanized trailer, I believe you'll be way ahead both financially and practically, taking the stock trailer and adding a second axle and brakes, and perhaps a heavier duty winch.

Unless you buy a totally custom built trailer, not just a mod of some other "off the shelf" trailer, you'll never find one which will fit your Mac as well, and allow it to be launced and recovered in the shallowest water, as the stock Mac trailer.

My trailer is four years old and has over 8000 miles on it; 4000 since installing the second axle. Not many salt water launches, but there's absolutely nothing I see that will prevent my trailer from lasting at least another four years and 8000 miles.

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:41 pm

Hey tidalwave - I'll sell you a new 2005 MacGregor 26M, without the trailer, for $17,500. I'll discount MacGregor Factory Options 20%. You can use the trailer the boat is on to get it home, if you return it. I'm about 360 miles from you, in southeastern Wisconsin. I may also be able to get you a different, tandem axle trailer for your boat.
I have two boats being shipped this week. They should be in next week. One is still available. It would look great under your Christmas tree. Give me a ho - ho - holler if you're interested. - Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL

Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:04 pm

Good for you, Bill. Got a taker for the trailer, or do you intend to keep it yourself?

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:15 pm

Nothing definite. I'll think of something.

waternwaves
Admiral
Location: X less in North Puget Sound -have to sail other boats for a while

Post by waternwaves » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:49 pm

Bill ,,

Always the helpful one, arent ya..... !!!

:wink:

craiglaforce
Captain

Post by craiglaforce » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:51 pm

The M trailer that I saw this year looks like it has been improved a bit over the old X trailers. I don't remember the details, but there were several things about it I liked better.

Frank C

Post by Frank C » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:14 pm

Chip Hindes wrote:Good for you, Bill. Got a taker for the trailer, or do you intend to keep it yourself?
It's not a trailer - never has been. It's just a fancy pallet :!:

:wink:

Richard O'Brien
Captain

M trailer improvements

Post by Richard O'Brien » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:34 pm

TRAILER IMPROVEMENTS from Macgregor website
We have installed heavier axles, springs, wheel and tires to bring the trailering capacity to 4200 pounds. There is more fender clearance, better support for the hull, and more effective surge brakes.

We now have big stainless steel disc brakes, and an electronic system that ties into the car lights that automatically disables the surge brake system when backing up.

The deeper V hull helps keep the boat centered on the trailer when bouncing down the road.

Moe
Admiral

Post by Moe » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:48 pm

And so would a trailer with bunk angles for a deeper V hull adequately support a shallower V 26X?

BTW, I'm going to do the backup pin mod I saw on the SpeedyRigger video on my coupler/surge brake.
--
Moe

Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:00 pm

Moe wrote:And so would a trailer with bunk angles for a deeper V hull adequately support a shallower V 26X?
I would say no, but I don't imagine it's that far different, and probably could be corrected with a couple custom cut pieces of wood for your bunks.
Moe wrote:BTW, I'm going to do the backup pin mod I saw on the SpeedyRigger video on my coupler/surge brake.
What's this for? The standard non disc brakes are "free backing" and don't need it.

I lent out my copy of the video and haven't looked at it in years.

Moe
Admiral

Post by Moe » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:39 pm

I don't recall, from back in my RV technician days, ever seeing a surge brake (used on pop-up capers) without a pin or a backup light solenoid... or heard of a "free backing" one (not saying they don't exist because obviously the Mac uses one).

How does the coupler know the truck is pushing the boat back versus the boat pushing the truck forward?

Is it that the surge brake doesn't actually brake until you're braking the tow vehicle hard, so it won't apply when you're backing up slowly and easily on level ground?

Is it the shoe design?

Have you (or anyone else here for that matter) ever backed the Mac up a steep hill or ramp, or in sand or mud, without the surge brake applying?

--
Moe

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:49 pm

I back up a shallow driveway after each trailering ...if I go slowly Im ok but I have seen the tires hop if I dont crawl.

No pin , no solenoid.

craiglaforce
Captain

Post by craiglaforce » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:59 pm

Moe,
Yes, the geometry of drum brakes usually makes them much more effective braking when moving forward. The primary shoe kind of cam jams into the drum when the brake is applied moving forward. When backing, this jamming doesn't happen, so the primary shoes is pretty much worthless. The secondary shoe (aft) is usually smaller and provides less braking power for reverse. For a boat trailer maybe the secondary shoe is not even there, since the surge brakes will not activate anyway if travelling in reverse and the tow vehicle brakes are applied.
'Course its been over 20 years since I've personally done a brake job on my car, so who knows what they have now. I should probably pull my trailer wheels to see what they look like.

Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:40 pm

The stock drum brakes on the X trailers do grab in reverse. I find even backing over the bump at the driveway activates my brakes.

I just drilled a hole through the slide for a pin with a captive clip. This works great for backing.

It also is good when the trailer is empty. Without the pin in, the empty trailer puts enough forward pressure even going over bumps that the brakes grab and the tires bounce and hop all over the place. I put in my pin and the empty trailer follows along smooth as can be with no tire hop at all.