Racing

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

DavidB
Just Enlisted

Racing

Post by DavidB » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:17 pm

Does anyone race in regattas or club races.

Captain Steve
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Captain Steve » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:26 pm

once...I was asked to sail out and anchor at a point as the turn around boat!!!

waternwaves
Admiral
Location: X less in North Puget Sound -have to sail other boats for a while

help me here

Post by waternwaves » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:42 pm

Racing macs???

Isn't that like teaching slugs to high jump, whittling pipe, painting with ones elbows, arguing with the admiral, and trying to keep kids out of mudpuddles..... etc....

Seems hardly worth it......when just simple sailing is so enjoyable....IF I want to fight currents (the flow of other traffic), key off other captains (watch brake lights and lane changes) , and tack repeatedly(change lanes myself) seems a morning commute on the freeway during rush hour would suffice IMHO lol,

seriously, I already know you are better sailors than I am, why do I need to prove it.....???

normo
Engineer

Post by normo » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:10 pm

I'm a new 26X owner and haven't sailed her much but I plan to participate in our club's casual beercan races. In addition our club has a special fleet exclusively for the true cruising boats. Both these groups use a pursuit start which means the slower boats start before the faster boats. Start times are based upon their PHRF ratings. Theoretically all boats should finish together but that never happens. This should be fine for the Mac.

Trying to race with a fleet which has lots boats with a PHRF of say less than 250 may not work no matter what PHRF they assign to you. From what I understand, the powersailor will probably finish far behind the others in such a fleet. Committee boats and other competitors don't like to wait a long time for stragglers before they start the next race or head home after the last race.

An added benefit of casual racing is that it will make you a more proficient sailor. Sometimes when you chose to sail you would also like to get to the destination sooner rather than later. Proper sail trim could save you as much as 10 minutes an hour, maybe more. I see it all the time in our local beercan races. On a 6 hour trip this gives you a 1 hour start on whatever. It is really not hard at get more out of your boat and you may really enjoy this part of the sailing experience.

Another benefit is just joining another group of people sharing a common interest. In our club we pick up who ever wants to go sailing at the dock, go on a 1 hour race and get together afterwards to swap stories over a pitcher of beer. Meet lots of nice folks that way.

These boats aren't cheap so why not use them in every way you can? If you encounter too many mean spirited Mac bashers then you're obviously in the wrong group so just move on. Otherwise hang in there and win them over.

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:25 pm

seriously, I already know you are better sailors than I am, why do I need to prove it.....???
C'mon guys...racing is the best way to sharpen sailing skills. There are at least a few people on this site who race Macs in PHRF events. What would be better would be a one-design race though. People have talked about it quite a bit for the almost 2 years I've been following this group, but to the best of my knowledge, no one has actually pulled one off yet.

waternwaves
Admiral

Post by waternwaves » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:42 pm

Dimitri.......

:D i am not picking on racing....as I used to do I14's and lasers..... was fun at the time....within limits...... and I didn't win much then....

:P I am merely pointing out that my radar equiped, beer toting, whitehulled (and we all know that white hulls with black bottoms are slower, right bill4???), prepped for rebuilding civilization, 3 battery running, full enclosure carrying, microwave comforted , full head and treatment systemed escape from reality is not going to win any races.... unless I get an opportunitiy for some esoteric obscure rule or penalty applied to everyone else in the field, and the time I spend unloading the boat to be be just terribly slower.... From what I have observed..... there is not a huge spread in the fleet....and tho I am sure a fleet race with similarly overloaded macs would be most entertaining ( maybe have to pitch an empty beer can in a dinghy at a turn or something to liven things up..., ) I would not be really interested unless everyone else was carrying water bladder equivalents of weight....lol

I agree REading the weather, knowing the area, knowing the currents, and knowing your boat will always make the trip enjoyable....

I'll stick to competitions with items that either matter or are equipment focused. :D

enjoy all

Darren...

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:37 am

DavidB

I would venture that most of us here cruise rather than race, myself included. I dont see how the PHRF system enables racing since the rating numbers I see are all over the place, which tell me they arent too objective. There are just too many variables, imho.

Racing is the best way to sharpen sailing skills, agreed.

There is some emotion against Mac owners from the rest of the sailing world because we get to use our boats instead of talking about them. (snicker, snicker)

Rich Smith
Engineer

Post by Rich Smith » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:58 am

I'll reply with my standard line that I use when someone asks me about my :macx:

"She'll never win a sailing race but once I start my engine I'll beat you back to the clubhouse for the first beer every time"

DavidB
Just Enlisted

racing

Post by DavidB » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:59 am

I started this thread to find out just how many people out there race there Mac'c. The wife and I have been racing for 2 years divided up into 4 seasons and we manage to get 1st overall in the last two seasons . We have a mac26D and it keeps up with the hunter 28.5 just fine.
I have talked with a couple of people and they say the mac sails alot faster then the rating of 216 but that makes it better for us on the course.

Moe
Admiral

Post by Moe » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:21 am

DavidB,
There doesn't seem to be many "classic" (pre-powersailer) Mac owners on this forum. I conducted a poll awhile back about member's ownership, and I don't recall anyone responding they had a classic, except those who'd also purchased an X or M. I see many classic Mac owners on the TrailerSailors MacGregor forum, though, and there is a sub-forum here for classic Mac/Venture owners, but it isn't heavily used.

The X and M trade off some the classic Macs' sailing ability for the 50HP (or larger) motor, and most of us here bought them for their waterskiing/tubing the kids capability, or the stand-up headroom and as an on-water RV.

There are a few who race these powersailors, but they aren't as prolific posting. Do a search here on the word PHRF and you'll find some threads including racing reports from them. Maybe they'll be along in this thread if you wait a few more days.

--
Moe

Terry
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Races Anyone?

Post by Terry » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:59 am

Racing is fun! :D Up here in the Pacific Northwest we have our annual Blaine Races, just one of the many events of the MYCBC club. (MacGregor Yacht Club of British Columbia) Since the club consists of all Macgregors we have the classics the X's & M's participating with staggered starts. Last June there was not as much wind during the race so everyone kind of bottlenecked around the final marker & leg. With so many boats so close together it became very competitive, as one of the classics was gaining on me just off my Starboard stern, I shouted & warned him "Just wait till next year I'll have my water cannon loaded and ready for you" :P In all seriousness I fully intend to, just to add another dimension of fun to the race. With that many boats all within firing range it is going to be hard to resist, and I'm going to make sure everyone knows I am armed so they better be also. Yes, racing is going to be fun! :D

ken lockhart

Racing

Post by ken lockhart » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:38 pm

David, I raced a 26D for years, I won two different State PHRF GOV. CUP championships with the boat. I also have owned a Mac 26X, because the lake I sail on limits HP, I could not take advantage of the larger HP and ended up selling the boat. I now have a Hunter 26 and will probably buy an 26M when I retire in a couple of years. If you are into racing in PHRF, you will be disappointed with the X. They are great boats for what they were designed to do, but racing in a phrf fleet is not one of them.

Ken

DavidB
Just Enlisted

Re: Races Anyone?

Post by DavidB » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:44 pm

Terry wrote:Racing is fun! :D Up here in the Pacific Northwest we have our annual Blaine Races, just one of the many events of the MYCBC club. (MacGregor Yacht Club of British Columbia) Since the club consists of all Macgregors we have the classics the X's & M's participating with staggered starts. Last June there was not as much wind during the race so everyone kind of bottlenecked around the final marker & leg. With so many boats so close together it became very competitive, as one of the classics was gaining on me just off my Starboard stern, I shouted & warned him "Just wait till next year I'll have my water cannon loaded and ready for you" :P In all seriousness I fully intend to, just to add another dimension of fun to the race. With that many boats all within firing range it is going to be hard to resist, and I'm going to make sure everyone knows I am armed so they better be also. Yes, racing is going to be fun! :D
I was thinking on upgrading to a 26M in the future how do they stack up to the classics.

waternwaves
Admiral

PHRF rating...

Post by waternwaves » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:52 pm

What group gives a x or an M boat a 216 rating, I have seen 240-265 and that seemed marginal... I probably wouldnt go onto a course unless I was given a 280 to 310 rating..... with my sail setup.....

210 seems a little low....3 1/2 minutes per mile hmmmm , I need more than that.....lol

DavidB
Just Enlisted

Re: PHRF rating...

Post by DavidB » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:15 pm

waternwaves wrote:What group gives a x or an M boat a 216 rating, I have seen 240-265 and that seemed marginal... I probably wouldnt go onto a course unless I was given a 280 to 310 rating..... with my sail setup.....

210 seems a little low....3 1/2 minutes per mile hmmmm , I need more than that.....lol
The club I race in PSCA (Pickwick Sailing and Crusing Association ) 216 might seem alittle bit low but the 26 D sails far beyond the 216 rating. The Jam B class I race in range from 180 to 216 (thats me) the slow boat. Most of the boats in our class are hunters 28.5 with a PHRF of 186. They might outrun me on the windward run but on the reach and the downwind run that daggerboard comes up and the race is on. :)