Mast Raising with Boom & Sail

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Tom Root
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Annville, PA. s/v-Great White, MacX4787A202,'09 Suzuki DF-50

Post by Tom Root »

Thanks Duanne and Chip.....more inspiration to this mod....so many mods, so little time. Racing this weekend with VYCSD, and we just had a new member join, with his "M" boat, who has been racing 16' Hobies seriously for 30 years. That makes things interesting! He plans on being on the course Saturday!

Well, I wondered if there could possibly be a failure in hardware, and the mast come tumbling down on top of my grape? Wouldn't look good in the Obit's. I can see it now.... " Tom just reduced the gene pool by doing a stupid mod to his boat" From an engineering aspect, there really isn't alot of surface material grabbing all that stress in that setup and mega sail area. IMHO

Hey Mark, you sure pegged that one, it sure looks like Rog motoring that. Photo-shopped maybe :?:

Tom Root
2002 26 :macx:
Great White
San Diego
Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes »

So my question remains: where are the sheets for the forward sail? When the sail is rolled up on the furler, the sheets are halway up the furler, but I don't see any sheets on the forward furler of the pictured rig.

I guess the rear furler is the one you want to use most of the time, because the only way you can tack or jibe the forward sail (which must pass through though the slot in between the two forestays) is to roll it up, then unroll it again on the other side.

Even with a pole (two poles?) I don't imagine you can run both jibs unless you drop the main.

All in all, IMO an iffy mod.
Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Photo Doctoring

Post by Erik Hardtle »

1.) Yes that is a Photoshopped picture... it is hard to take a picture of my self at 24mph... doesn't Roger look great! :wink:

2.) I also hated taking boom below deck and banging everthing within it's radius.

3.) I bolted (not screwed) every hole. Had to make an extension for my ratchet.. and lining up the nut, lock wash and bolt was a true test of my patience.

4.) I still need to attach a safety wire so the boom doesn't come down on my head if some ball bearings come out of the traveller.

5.) I wouldn't give up my roller furler for anything... to easy to use on the water.
Tom Root
Captain
Location: Annville, PA. s/v-Great White, MacX4787A202,'09 Suzuki DF-50

Post by Tom Root »

Chip,
Sorry, I wasn't eluding the question, just did'nt have time earlier (Had to go work on the boat!) What can be done in the arraingement I am attempting, is to make it easier to run wing on wing single handing, instead of flying the spinnaker. Some people have said that they can single hand thier spinnaker, but I doubt I can as yet! Just to tweak a bit more speed if possible. It of course would also be added protection for the mast. It is not really needed, but I'd like to try it and see if it can make ANY difference

Cost in my case is minimal due to the fact I already have the 2nd Jib. So since I have been kicking this idea around for some time, the way Erik has his mounted is merely an option.

Tom Root
2002 26 :macx:
Great White
San Diego
Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Double headed

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro »

On my friends boat with the two furlers he would run wing on wing with both head sails and drop the main when going down wind. You only need one pole for the more upwind side.

The forward furler does not hold a genoa, it has a drifter, a cruising spinaker. The sail has a wire in the luff and the furler does not have a foil. It is simply a drum at the bottom and a swivel at the top. The drifter is not tacked through the slot. Just like any asymetrical spinaker you roll tack the sail around the front of the bow, not through the fore triangle. It's really the same as having your genoa rolled up and flying a asymetrical spinaker from an ATN tacker with a penant down to a block at the bow.