Does Anyone Leave the Boom Attached to the Mast?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

vatalon
Deckhand

Does Anyone Leave the Boom Attached to the Mast?

Post by vatalon » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:02 pm

Wondering if it is feasable to leave the boom with main attached to the mast while trailoring? Figure it might save some time rigging the boat.

Moe
Admiral

Post by Moe » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:26 pm

Erik Hardtle trailers with his boom on mast under cover.

Here's where it was discussed:

Mast Raising with Boom & Sail
--
Moe

Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:02 pm

I'm hoping to switch to a setup like this for the summer. It looks like it works fine on the newer X's that have a gooseneck that pivots completely flat against the mast. My older '96 has the old style gooseneck that uses the drilled aluminum rod in a slot on the end of the boom. If you have this old setup you will have to replace the gooseneck. Can the gooseneck on an M pivot like this?

It also needs a main sail cover with a full zip bottom to really protect the sail at 70 mph. Ones like mine with just the tabs and toggles on the bottom won't do the job. I'm actually looking to switch to a full zip one with the zipper on the top, like this one, but better made so it doesn't look all baggy. You see them all the time on the charter boats. I don't think I'll worry about keeping the vang and mainsheet zipped inside like Erik does. I'll just store them below along with my boomkicker. I already have quick release shackles on the end of them.

As this all makes the mast heavier when rolling back and forth on deck I would think you would also want some sort of lifeline mod so you don't have to do the spreader dance while holding the extra weight. Erik has created collapsible spreaders that solve this problem, but I'm not a fan of that solution. Adding keypin shackles like I have done at the aft end of the forward lifelines will also solve the problem. Once these are released on each side you can roll the mast forward and place it directly in the bracket on the bow pulpit without worry about the spreaders. They remain above the slack lifelines at all times.

HERNDON
Engineer

Post by HERNDON » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:51 pm

My lifelines on my 95x (aft ends) has a small screw pin shackle that I un pin before lowering the mast.

Never danced with the mast, but do jump around while docking under wind with my 8 hp Tohatsu.

Rob

Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:47 pm

Yes, that's exactly what I have done, except I used keypin shackles.

They have a captive bar that makes it so they can never fall off, and the key pin is quick and simple to connect and disconnect. Nothing to unscrew. Even open the lever part of the keypin can't fall out of the hole.

Note: mine don't have a screw in upper bar like the picture, they have one with small ring dings.

Zoran
First Officer

Post by Zoran » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:38 pm

I left once main sail on the mast as Erik is doing, but being singlehanded most of the time it did not worked for me. Mast was too heavy and it as harder to move it around and set everything. Afer first experiment I never tried it again.

Zoran

vatalon
Deckhand

Post by vatalon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:17 am

Thanks for the info guys! I'll hav to try it out with the boat in the yard since I single hand most of the time. Anyway, a good excuse for buying a sail cover.

Duane, I use French Conectors on the lifelines. Easy on/off and with a twist of the nut, very secure. These are those "C" shaped conectors that the opening is closed by a threaded nut. I also use these conectors to secure the trailor chains to the tow vehicle.

baldbaby2000
Admiral

Post by baldbaby2000 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:41 am

I would be concerned about the extra weight on the mast if it's only supported at either end. The mast already bounces around a lot if it's not supported in the middle like at http://www.macgregorsailors.com/cgi-bin ... record=472. I think I read one post where he said that snow piling up on a tarp bent the mast.

BB

ericorville

Post by ericorville » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:28 pm

I modified the gooseneck to attach the main to the boom and separate from the mast without releasing the outhall. So I bungee the main to the boom detach it from the mast and store the assembly inside.
Eric

Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:23 pm

I keep my mainsail on my boom all the time as well inside it's sail cover. It stores easily in the vee berth just forward of the galley. This is better than keeping it loose, but still involves attaching the gooseneck, opening the cover, feeding in all the sail slugs, putting in the sail stop, then closing the cover back up everytime; aside from just the extra work of hauling it in and out.

It would be nice to have all that attached all the time. Once the mast is up I'd just lift the boom and slip in the boom kicker then hook up the vang and mainsheet. This would be quick and easy and probably make about a 5 minute dent in the setup time.

I'm not really concerned about the additional weight when moving the mast around on the roller. The lifeline mod makes this very simple once you only have to go front to back rather than side to side. Managing it single handed should not be hard as long as your roller is functioning well at the cockpit end (unfortunately mine doesn't right now so that is on the list as well).

I do agree about some mid mast support for trailering. Ideally I would want to support both the mast and the aft end of the boom.

Newell
First Officer

Boom on Mast Storage

Post by Newell » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:16 pm

I also have ordered the new gooseneck from my dealer. I have converted to rolling the main on the boom over the vang. Combining mods I think the newer type gooseneck can be converted to a swivel and still allow the rolled main-on-boom to go parallel to the mast. Since I don't have it in hand, just guessing. The drawback to rolling the main is that it doesn't work well with slugs hence halyard to cockpit is more unreasonable. However if a pre-feeder would smooth out the unrolling process perhaps the halyard could be led aft and the boom could be stored and covered on the mast while trailering.

The advantages would be more room in the cabin while trailering on long trips. Less going below during set-up and take down. Faster times with both. A short PVC crutch at the mast base plate to give mid mast support might be necessary.

Newell
Fast Sunday 96X

Erik Hardtle
First Officer

Boom on Mast storage

Post by Erik Hardtle » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:20 pm

I just had to chime in... since I have been using this mod. A couple of things I have learned by experience:

1. Don't try to put the mast up with the boom and a roller furler genoa WITHOUT the mast raising kit... just too darn heavy.

2. On a long trip (100miles+) it is best to take the boom off and store it... less wear and tear on the sail where it is exposed in the front.

Overall I've been really pleased with the mod... and since I have the sail slugged I just leave it attached to the mast and it's ready to put up the minute I hit the water.

Erik