Water Ballast Question...

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

craiglaforce
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by craiglaforce » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:09 am

My '97 also has the large starboard transom valve and the rubber vent plug under the step. No other vents or drains on mine. I don't seem to have much trouble getting my tank full. I just rock the boat a couple times and close the valves. Drains just fine also.

Frank C

Post by Frank C » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:37 am

norbert wrote:.... to make the confusion complete: my x is a '97 model, she has the large starboard transom valve, no bottom valve (not even the moulded cavitiy in the bottom), and the vent plug is under the cabin step...
Norbert,
I'm confused, for sure! It's very strange to contemplate a '97 with such a valve configuration, unless:
  • * export boats were notably different (unlikely)
    * export boats were tagged differently (hmmm - would that circumvent a law?)
    * your boat is much later model than you think.
Could I ask the date of your purchase, and what is the ID tag on your Mac's starboard aft quarter?

:?

ESPERANZA
First Officer

Post by ESPERANZA » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:52 pm

Hey Norbert,
What's your hull number? Mine is 1250...

Newell
First Officer

Ballast Valve(s) configuration

Post by Newell » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:14 pm

I think only the 95 model Xs had the small fill valve on the port side. My boat built in April 96 had the small starboard valve. I removed it and put in the large valve. I capped the hump valve and drilled a front vent that travels up to the anchor locker and tees into the anchor locker vent.

After dumping ballast and trailering the boat I often get water exiting the valve when making left turns, so the ballast doesn't drain completely, but figure there is only several gallons left in at most.

mark,97x

97x

Post by mark,97x » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:47 pm

macx0903h697,small starboard transom valve,twist valve thru bottom under step and plug under step,all which seem to work fine at filling and dumping although the valve under the step will sometimes seep and let water in or out :macx:

Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:47 pm

Sounds like there were a lot of different hull molds being used for a while there.

Mine is hull # 405, built to '96 specs, MACX0405L596, made Dec '95. It has the small transom valve port side, vent in the bump at the step and the second inlet valve at the step as well.

Mine fills full easily. I have to watch the vent hole near the end of filling or it will spout water out. I notice no burbing sounds once full as the boat heels so I think mine get's all the air out fine. No extra weight is required on the bow.

Mine also drains very well. Looking in the vent hole it always looks dry after draining. I tend to drain under way so the boat is always bow up and this may contribute to complete draining. Often I will pull out on the ramp a bit still on the slope and then open the valve and have no water drain.

I only open the aft valve and the vent to drain. I open both valves and the vent to fill.

Personally I like the valves at the step. One of this springs planned mods is to replace the old small fiberglass steps with a swing up ladder like the later boats have. I'll make a small hinged wood cover for the valve and vent area. This is a really easy to access area quite convienient to the cockpit. The forward storage area up under the vee berth is full of stuff and it would be a pain to have to get in there all the time to open and close the vent. Having a nice flat base to the vee berth locker with nothing to work around makes it a great place for water tanks and batteries.

norbert
First Officer

hull number

Post by norbert » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:04 am

don't have the hull number here, i have to check it this evening. "suprise" is not export boat but has been purchased by the previous owner from h+s in california. he bought the boat in early spring '97 and shipped it himself to france where he sold it to me 1 year later (guess he made a good deal although the boat was considerably cheaper than a new one in europe).

it seems that different hull and vent configurations have been used at the factory at same time. i obviously have the same configuration as craig and argonaut, while other boats sold at the same time still have the small valve on the one or other side. mark's '97 model is manufactured in august '96 and seems to have the old ballast system. but i think it is not big deal, either valve configuration seems to work correctly. some (few) water remaining in the tank is normal. when i haul out for winter storage i crank the trailer jack as high as possible to drain the ballast.

duane, like you i prefer to have the vent plug at the cabin entrance where i can reach it easily. i am thinking about the same ladder mod. i have a 100 litres flexible plastimo water tank under the v-berth. no problems to fill the ballast tank completely - rocking the boat several times brings all air bulbs out at the rear vent hole.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:11 am

Jiemand Welkom hier, aber Sie mussen nur die Macgregor schon haben

mark,97x

ballast

Post by mark,97x » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:35 am

:D i thought of replacing the step also but the first officer said she likes the big step(mine has a teak tread that overlaps the top)and not a ladder type entrance,also like duanne i like the vents at the step as i can open and close or check from the cockpit :macx:

norbert
First Officer

hull number

Post by norbert » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:23 am

ok folks, here is my hull number:
MACX1505E797
...means: boat no. 1505 model '97 built in may '97... am i right?

Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:28 am

Yes, hull #1505, built May of '97 to '97 model specs.

The code is MFG(MAC) - Model(X) - hull number(1505) - Month(E) - Year(7) - Model specs(97)

The month E is May as that's the 5th letter of the alphabet.

Frank C

Post by Frank C » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:22 pm

Norbert,

Thanks. Reflecting on it for awhile, I suppose there could have been two hull molds in use, causing a mix of configurations in late '97. Note that a mold without the mid-hull valve would naturally have been configured with a larger stern valve, like yours.

Your hull number indicates that your boat is among the last of the '97 model and within 60 days of the first 1998 boats. (Kinda wish there was a special archive for hull numbers & configuration details).

:)