Honda BF50 Tilt Lock Lever problem

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
FishyFabs
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Honda BF50 Tilt Lock Lever problem

Post by FishyFabs »

I never used the tilt lock levers on the Honda BF50 but this year it appears that the mechanic who serviced the motor (not a Honda certified dealer) did. I noticed that he had put them in the locked position for trailering (not sure if this is recommended as the book recommends a motor support bar).

I managed to turn them into the free position to lower the motor but I noticed that they were loose and would swing into the locked position whenever I raised the motor again. This means that I need to go to the back of the boat whenever I need to lower the motor again after raising it. This is a huge irritation as you can imagine and basically find myself just leaving the motor down while sailing.

The levers appear to be loose and swing a full 360...I can also pull them in and out along their axle and it appears they lock in the free position at times but whenever I raise or lower the motor...they swing freely again and default to the locked position.

Is there a trick to this? Do I need to push them together or apart before turning them so that I can get them to stay in one position...hopefully the free position? I am seriously thinking about taping them in place for the rest of the season but thought I should reach out.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Honda BF50 Tilt Lock Lever problem

Post by Tomfoolery »

None of that is supposed to happen. There is an overcenter mechanism with an extension spring under there that holds it up. As you rotate the lock up and out of the way, the spring is pulled longer, then the crank goes over center and the spring gets a little shorter, but the 'leverage' holds the locks up.

The two sides are welded to their shafts at the exposed ends, so presumably there is an attachment point to this crank mechanism under there, too. I'll have to consult my service manual, but there has to be something under there, like a set screw on each side, to hold the two half-shafts to this crank mechanism in the middle. I'm betting you just have a loose screw or two. Nothing personal. :wink:
FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs »

Thanks for the reply. I do have a few screws loose but not on the Honda. My boat is in the water so seeing what is going on down there is difficult. I did have a good feel around and did not feel any springs. The two half shafts are not connected to each other and each one turns freely.

For now I have duct taped them in the free position. The grey duct tape matches the honda colour perfectly and it will have to do for the rest of the season....which is about two more weeks in Canada. :cry:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

It's hard to see even when it's on the trailer. I'll stick my camera up there and take some shots for you. :P :wink:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Here are a couple of pics of the underside of that hinge area. Couldn't get the camera in as far as I would have liked, but this should give you an idea of what's going on up there (reminds me - past due for a colonoscopy). :P

Tilt locks engaged (you can see them on either side)

Tilt locks disengaged

Edited to put photos back up since Photobucket changed course. :wink:
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I stuck my phone up there and got some better shots, since it's so small. :wink: :D

You can see a formed steel crank mechanism that's connected to each half-shaft via shear (roll) pins. I'm betting one or both pins are missing, as well as the spring, and hopefully the crank is still in there (only one pin missing), as that's a special part. But I'd imagine it's available either from Honda or on the used parts market, as there are tons of these OBs out there, and several sizes use the power head and lower units.

Should be easy enough to get in there if you unpin and remove the cylinder rod.

It's also on page 2-36 of the service manual. I'll scan and post later (have an appointment now) unless someone links to the online pdf manual first. 8)
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Update: I just scanned the two pages of the service manual that show some detail about that assembly, but I'm reluctant to post them here as they're copyrighted and I'm not sure if Fair Use Doctrine is in play here. It's only two pages, and it's for educational purposes, but I just don't know how that works.

Any moderator input as to whether or not I should post them is appreciated.

If not, I can just email or PM them.
FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs »

Thanks so much for taking the photos. You have gone beyond the call of duty! I now know what is going on down there and will let the admiral know too. 8) I think I have lost the crank and spring too.

I did send you a private message too so pls check your inbox.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Message with Honda service manual pages sent. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

So that's where the spring goes... :)