bottom paint

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Sloop John B
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

bottom paint

Post by Sloop John B » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:23 am

I’m trying to get my bottom painted. I’ve gone through the archives but am still a little confused. I took the boat down to O’Connell’s boatyard on the Taunton River a couple weeks ago. It was explained that the hull would have to be first sanded (in order for anything to stick to it), primed and painted.

Later I was told there was no need for sanding, that there was a primer that didn’t require it. However, it would require three days of no rain. I asked about epoxy but that was apparently not relevant. My luck hasn’t held with the weather here and I’m getting impatient. I’m paying for a slip for the boat elsewhere.

I’m thinking of taking the boat out and launching without the bottom paint. I’ll be doing considerable sailing through the end of September. What should I expect the hull to look like when I retrieve it at that time? My thought is that frequent underway time would prevent any horrible buildup. But I could be terribly wrong.

Another thing I can’t get straight in my head. Positioning the sheet cars. Is it forward for light winds or the other way around?

Sloop

hschumac
Chief Steward

Re: bottom paint

Post by hschumac » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:57 pm

There was some old / missing bottom paint on my :macx: from the PO. Since this was the first year I was going to moor for 4 months, I decided it was time to bottom paint. Read different things about volume of growth, so I thought it was worth doing. Did a lot of reading on this forum and other places, and went with the Pettit Paint Hydrocoat SR. Pettit says (and I've read in different places) that you can put it on over just about anything (just wipe down with acetone, do a rough sand with 80 grit or so, wash down with water and let dry). Also you can clean up with soap and water and no respirator required. Also, for a bottom paint it is supposed to have enough durability for trailering/launching, which is the other 8 months of my year.

It took a gallon with a little left over, with 2 coats over entire bottom plus a third coat at the waterline (since that's where most ablation happens). Easy application with paint roller and brush for some edges. Did it on the trailer, as other on the board suggested you can jack up the trailer, block part of the boat up and lower trailer track, etc to hit the trailer bunk sections.

RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RobertB » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:04 pm

The magazine Practical Sailor has a lot of information about bottom paint - it is an ongoing topic they perform testing and evaluations of most the available products. If you get a subscription, you have online access to all previous articles.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:08 pm

Sloop,

It's good to see a post from you.

I've got nothing to address your issue, I just wanted to say it's good to see your post, and know your still above water. :)

Ray

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Generally speaking, the stronger the wind, the more aft you want the jib/genny cars

~Rich

1-Tntimbo
Engineer

Post by 1-Tntimbo » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:43 pm

I recently did the bottom on my26X. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who has a shop with a lift in it.
We backed the trailer between the lift colums and used heavy duty straps under the hull. Lifted it off the trailer and hung it about 30" above th floor.
Cleaned the mold/crud off with a wire brush then sanded with 120 grit orbital sander till it was slick. Then 3 coats bottom paint.
Looks great, hope it holds up well.
T

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Sloop John B wrote:
I’m thinking of taking the boat out and launching without the bottom paint. I’ll be doing considerable sailing through the end of September. What should I expect the hull to look like when I retrieve it at that time? My thought is that frequent underway time would prevent any horrible buildup. But I could be terribly wrong.

Sloop
We took our boat over to the Abacos in the spring, several years ago. We were in the water for two months, and I didn't do any cleaning during that period of time. When I pulled the boat out, the bottom was pretty ugly. A real biology experiment, with both soft and hard growth. I spent 3 or 4 hours, on my back, under the boat scraping with a putty knife and scrubbing with white abrasive pads to get the growth off. We had been underway for much of the time, and in water temperatures between 65 and 72 degrees most of the time. When we returned to the Bahamas (Exumas this time) in 2011, I once again went without bottom paint. We were on the water for another 2 months, in slightly warmer water temps. On that trip, I cleaned the hull about every 3 weeks. I found calm water with clean sand bottom, about 3 feet deep, and set both bow and stern anchors. I pulled the boat tight between the anchors. Then I was able to climb into the water and sit along the hull with my scrubbing pad and putty knife. No hard growth to deal with, just soft stuff, and it came off quite easily. I was able to clean the whole hull, except for a strip down the middle of the hull, about 2 or 3 feet wide, which was beyond my reach. To get that strip clean, I put on my goggles and held my breath. My weight belt helped a lot in getting into proper position. If you're going to spend more than 3 weeks in Florida waters without bottom paint, I'd recommend cleaning the bottom as I did, while the boat is afloat, anchored in shallow water.

wcole
Deckhand

Post by wcole » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:38 pm

I have occasionally left my 26X (no bottom paint) on a mooring in Narragansett Bay, RI. Two weeks is OK. However, at three weeks it is starting to collect ugly growth that is hard to remove.

Bill

innervations
First Officer
Location: Perth, Western Australia, "Talani Jayne" a 2010 Mac26M with ETec 60

Post by innervations » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:48 pm

4 weeks in warm water in Perth, Western Australia and my unpainted hull was totally covered in 0.25-0.5 inches of hard and soft marine growth. I could not believe how quickly life took up residence on my boat. From the factory the Mac is not really intended to sit in water for long periods of time. I had mine cleaned off and sanded removing the gel coat below the waterline. Then applied epoxy sealer then 2 coats of hard (not ablative) bottom paint. Has really slowed growth and I now pressure spray the hull on the trailer every couple of months. My boat sits in the water in a pen 24/7

I only pull it out the trailer when need to work on it. I think an epoxy sealer is critical to reduce osmosis damage.

gabid
Engineer

Post by gabid » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:21 am

If your boat will be in the water till September, you better put anti fouling paint on it. I just finished mine, it is a big job. I just follow the instructions of the paint manufacturer, in my case Interlux. But in general the steps would be:
-dewax
-sand with 80 grit
-clean
-primer
-sand 180 and 220
-clean
-2 coats of bottom paint recommended for the waters you are planing to sail into.

mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:18 pm

innervations wrote:4 weeks in warm water in Perth, Western Australia and my unpainted hull was totally covered in 0.25-0.5 inches of hard and soft marine growth. I could not believe how quickly life took up residence on my boat. From the factory the Mac is not really intended to sit in water for long periods of time. I had mine cleaned off and sanded removing the gel coat below the waterline. Then applied epoxy sealer then 2 coats of hard (not ablative) bottom paint. Has really slowed growth and I now pressure spray the hull on the trailer every couple of months. My boat sits in the water in a pen 24/7

I only pull it out the trailer when need to work on it. I think an epoxy sealer is critical to reduce osmosis damage.
Concur. Sanded and two coats of epoxy if you're going to have it hauled and do all this work anyway. Mine was two coats of epoxy and three coats of ablative. I went with a matching black that looks very "stock" on the trailer.

innervations
First Officer
Location: Perth, Western Australia, "Talani Jayne" a 2010 Mac26M with ETec 60

Post by innervations » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:57 am

Correction. Looked up the shipwrights invoice and they applied two coats of epoxy. Only one coat of anti foul on dagger board because they were concerned about it binding but I did not see it as a problem to use two coats same as the hull. Unfortunately boat was back in the water when they told me. Daggerboard is fully retracted most of the time anyway so may not be an issue.

Mac26Mpaul
Admiral

Post by Mac26Mpaul » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:56 am

I recently did mine. One benefit of the Mac trailer is that you can pretty easily bottom paint yourself saving a pack of doe. I got some bits of wood for ramps and backed my trailer up onto besa blocks (not sure if you call them besa blocks there). Then you have decent room to get under. You'd want to give it a sand and barrier coat, but I was just redoing mine so I used drywall 60 grit drywall sanding sheets (used two). After the prep work, I used a 4 litre tin of Micron extra which is good stuff for boats that spend a lot of time on trailers as the stuff can dry and then reactivate when the boat is wet again. Two coats of this and three on the leading and trailer edges of the rudder. board, and on the bow. THen to get the bits you miss where the bunks are, you can jack the boat like mentioned, but my method is simpler. I go down the boat ramp, and let the boat off about 6 inches or so, and then drive the short trip home, and do the bits I'v missed- easy :wink:

Triming your jib:

Tell tales on downwind side not flowing aft - sheet out

Tell tales on upwind side not flowing aft - sheet in

If the top one on the windward side flutters before the bottom one, the move the jib track car forward. If the bottom one flutters first, move the car aft.

Moving the jib track car forward, the top of the jib is pulled in tighter. If you move it aft, the top of the jib sags downwind.