Bimini help

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Bimini help

Post by dlandersson » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Ok, while setting up my Bimini, one of the support poles slide off and fell into the water - where it promtly sank.

Being aluminum, it's not magnetic. I can't find a manufacturer anywhere. Any help in finding a replacement pole is appreciated. :(

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Bimini help

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:40 pm

Not kidding. Easier than making a new one. There may be divers that work in your marina regularly who could do down and grab it for a twenty, while they're already there. 8)

Just watch out for stray voltage from someone's boat, since you're in fresh water.

Crikey
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Look out for the fishhooks!
:D

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:03 pm

I dropped my cell ph. in about 16ft of water after about 8-9 dives with flippers & goggles i could still not find it so I see this guy standing on the dock talking on his cell & asked him if he could call my cell # so he said OK down I went again followed the ring ding found my cell ph answered my cell & told him thx alot for ur help, he said u sound like u r in a fish tank !! when I came back up to the surface he was long gone , laid my ph out in the sun in a bag of rice for three days , after it dried out I no longer sounded like I was talking in a fish tank ! Just saying :wink:
Anyways u could try using one of these submersable camera's to locate it , then buy an alum magnate if u can find one as they r very hard to find , then tie a string to it & go fishing just saying :)
How come nobody else comes up with these idea's :?
J 8)

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:42 pm

then buy an alum magnate if u can find one as they r very hard to find .
8)

J --yer being silly now. While it is true that an aluminum magnates are hard to find, they are harder to buy because they are usually billionaires :D :D :D :?

-B :wink:
Ps. Sorry. It's late. Couldn't help myself. :cry:

seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:46 pm

dl -- did you lose it at your slip (easier to find, obviously) or in the middle of nowhere?

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:22 am

Slip, 7.5 feet of water - lots of growth - do not see it. 8)
seahouse wrote:dl -- did you lose it at your slip (easier to find, obviously) or in the middle of nowhere?

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:34 am

I dropped my watch over in the slip. Took a long net and scooped the bottom. I was shocked when it came up in the net.

Poles are tricky though. They don't sink straight down. Probably took a sloped drop.
That's relatively shallow though. I'd try the snorkel.

You will probably have to fabricate one from parts. I can't tell what that black thing is on the right of your photo. The other stuff is easy to purchase.
http://www.overtons.com/Boating-Marine/ ... ccessories

http://www.sailrite.com/Hardware#!Hardware

mrron_tx
First Officer

Post by mrron_tx » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 am

Lauren ( Male ) @ go2marine has helped Me with things like that. Good Luck. Ron.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:53 pm

dlandersson wrote:Slip, 7.5 feet of water - lots of growth - do not see it. 8)
seahouse wrote:dl -- did you lose it at your slip (easier to find, obviously) or in the middle of nowhere?
Gez thats not deep atall get down there with a weed wacker then shine one of the 2 million wat search lights @ the bottom & look for a refection or tie a string to the matching pole from the other side & let it drop over board @ the same loction & see if it follows the same path to the bottom then go fishing for kissing cousins

or call in the fire dept. & ask them to pump down the water level to see if u can find ur close friend who fell O/B :idea: :wink:

J 8)

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:33 pm

seahouse wrote:
then buy an alum magnate if u can find one as they r very hard to find .
8)

J --yer being silly now. While it is true that an aluminum magnates are hard to find, they are harder to buy because they are usually billionaires :D :D :D :?

-B :wink:
Ps. Sorry. It's late. Couldn't help myself. :cry:
Hi B, FYI I really did dive down into 16ft water to retrieve my cell ph about 8-9 times using snortle, finns & goggles & to the amazement of about 25 people watching me from the docks who though I was a little crazy until they seen that I found it !! :) :o :P

J 8)
PS I was a little :o but still waiting on someone saying that was an amazing story !! :D :D :D

seahouse
Admiral

Post by seahouse » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:47 pm

That was an amazing story! :D

I didn't doubt that part of the story either- sometimes the greatest things happen when you reach the stage of having nothing to lose. Of course, I was being facetious about yer spellin' of magnate vs magnet!!!
-B. :wink:

ps. I've been diving in some areas where the "bottom" is not well-defined. That is, the muck merely gets denser and denser (and darker and darker) over a couple of feet. Yuk - You are no longer looking for something on a 2-D plane, it's now a 3-D space, expanding as you stir it up….downright creepy, and good luck finding something small in that! :cry:

Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:56 pm

I'll bet that if you contact Bill@Boats4Sail that he will be able to identify the manufacturer of your bimini. A lot of folks in your area swear by him.

http://www.boats4sail.info/contact-us.html

~Rich

Sloop John B
Captain

Post by Sloop John B » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:58 am

You'll have to send for the missing part from the manufacturer. I'll take a look at mine to see if it's identified. Contact Tatoo (spelling) Boats (Roger's daughter) to see if you can learn where to go.

Sloop

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:01 pm

It looks to me that you lost a short straight pole. This is really a very simple part to make. Earlier someone listed a link for SailRite - I have used them to get parts for mine. All you need are two end fittings and a section of straight aluminium tubing.