Sink faucet

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Sloop John B
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Sink faucet

Post by Sloop John B » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:30 pm

I have another ding bat question. How do you get the sink faucet to go?

The big wiggly water bag is near full of water. There’s an air pocket on the top. The red cap has a “switch” for open and close. It’s open. The plastic faucet doesn't appear to be plugged. The lever swings back and forth 180 degrees. Is there some way of priming this sucker?

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Sink faucet

Post by Russ » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:13 pm

The faucet seals might be dried up. That bag thingy is pretty ridiculous IMO.
Prime....yea, seems like I had to squeeze the bag while pumping. 2 man operation. Soon after I removed the pump and installed pressure pump. Sigh

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:19 pm

It is relatively easy to take apart. After doing so, wipe vaseline on the parts including the little rolling ball bearing. Since you are not drinking this water anyway, don't worry about the vaseline getting in the discharge. Very little will anyway. Walaaaa! You have a valve that can prime now.

Another problem that may occur is a small leak from the operating arm that leaks onto the sink area. For this repair, you have to pry out the operating arm (it is not easy, but it comes out) then buy an o-ring that fits at your hardware store and replace the o-ring. Wallaa^2!

Be aware that if your water tube sits snuggly on the bottom of the flexible water container, it will not pump and the operating arm could break if you try to pump water while tube is sucking on the plastic bottom rather than the water itself.

133bhp
First Officer

Post by 133bhp » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Wondered the same thing? could only get it work by submerging the pickup/cap, typically then leaked - life's too short so I caved in and wired in a cheap caravan pump/switched tap (40$) simply pushed in the open reliant bag. Full, never spills even at 35 odd deg heel.

Good to see you still around, read some humorous posts of yours (thumbup)

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/light_m ... sort=4&o=0
Last edited by 133bhp on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:24 pm

We turn the bag upside down so the opening end where the hose attaches and water comes out is pointed down, gravity seems to always get is started and keep it going.

We added a 13 gallon pressure water system with 2-stage filter for the galley sink, and use a separate 5 gallon collapsible bag system in the head but had to replace the factory faucet a few years back.

wbpenney
Chief Steward
Location: Cary, NC - 'Boom Boom ll' 08 26M 90HP E-TEC http://boomboom2.blogspot.com/

Post by wbpenney » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 am

The water bag has to be turned so that the outlet is on the bottom, otherwise the pump just sucks air. The only other way is to squeeze all the air out of the bag, but usually air will creep back into the bag if the bag is too rigid.

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:15 pm

One of the first and probably THE best mods I did was to get rid of that original system and add a 25 gallon bladder pressure water system (using inexpensive RV pump and pressure tank and my old kitchen faucet). Its definitely nice to always have pressurized water, and I can shower with it or flush the outboard with it if I feel like it (with the hose attachment that Y valves off of it).

Sloop John B
Captain

Post by Sloop John B » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Thanks for the advice. Opie said the faucet could be taken apart. Didn't know that. There's a plunger type piston that works up and down. This one was frozen over time. Needed a little sanding and Vaseline and it's good as new.

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:57 pm

I guess I am missing something. I thought it was a Urnal as the bowl was big enough to pi$$ in a seaway. Also saves room in the 5 Gal. porta Potty to do #2.
I use main sink for dishes and cleanups.
Ya got to be a Midgit to use the Head Sink to wash and use.
I use a 14 Gal. Inflatable Plato under the Galley.
Use the head Sink as a urnal and open air vent on your 5 gal. tank.
Makes trips longer without pump outs.
Dave

Sloop John B wrote:I have another ding bat question. How do you get the sink faucet to go?

The big wiggly water bag is near full of water. There’s an air pocket on the top. The red cap has a “switch” for open and close. It’s open. The plastic faucet doesn't appear to be plugged. The lever swings back and forth 180 degrees. Is there some way of priming this sucker?

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:16 am

DaveB wrote:I guess I am missing something. I thought it was a Urnal as the bowl was big enough to pi$$ in a seaway. Also saves room in the 5 Gal. porta Potty to do #2.
Dave

Sloop John B wrote:I have another ding bat question. How do you get the sink faucet to go?

You must have great aim. Especially in a bouncing sea. :D

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:09 pm

One hand on quart container, other on private parts, than down the hatch. KEY: Brace yourself using your head on liner.
You are not going far in the restrictions compartment of a Mac. Head.
To be honest, at 237 lbs and 6 ft. I need to keep door open to fit in this closet.
Can you imagine on a Mac M....whoosh. Craped my pants trying to get them off in that pee hole pot of The M. Injured with back pains stooping.
Reather deal with the Closet of the MacX.
Some designers are taller than Rodgers 5-6 height.

Dave

RussMT wrote:
DaveB wrote:I guess I am missing something. I thought it was a Urnal as the bowl was big enough to pi$$ in a seaway. Also saves room in the 5 Gal. porta Potty to do #2.
Dave

You must have great aim. Especially in a bouncing sea. :D