A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Dirko
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Spruce Grove, AB. ...2008 26M..Nissan 70... Sail on Lake Wabamun

Re: Mast Raising trick

Post by Dirko » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Oops - missed page 2 when I replied. Sounds like it's covered. You don't still have the boom and vang attached, do you?

Tenacious
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Tattoo 26

Post by Tenacious » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
kevinnem wrote:the mast is bent like a bananna toward the back when we are done. I don't like it at all, I hate it so much . it gets in the way of the joy we should have.
Yeah, I can imagine. It should take ten minutes. Max.

Use the MRS to put extra forward pull on the mast to pin the forestay, then when you slacken it, the rigging should be just right. It's stretchy, like all wire rope is, so overtensioning it in order to pin the forestay won't hurt it as long as you don't get carried away.
I wish I had seen this post before learning how to raise the mast. The first time took way too long as I was also having trouble aligning the furler/forestay wire to pin it. Luckily it occurred to me to just put extra tension on the MRS and voila, problem solved. I also add a little tension to the MRS before taking the mast down to get the pin out easily.

-Robert

Sloop John B
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Sloop John B » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:20 am

Release the backstay on the X. I have a pelican hook on the stay. It fits through a U fitting on the tang. You don't need a backstay; it's just psychological assurance. You have the necessary lever device that fits to the furler drum when you removed them from your lifeline, You can order the exhaust valve like pins from BWY. What gets me is pinning the mast. No way could I do this alone. With Mate leveling the mast at the spreaders I can manage it in 15 minutes or so.