Turning into the wind w/o control? WTF?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
ronacarme
Captain

Re: Turning into the wind w/o control? WTF?

Post by ronacarme »

Anderson...I believe you may have had too much sail up for the conditions described.
On a course to windward in 20kn (23 mph?) of wind, flying a full main and the working jib (110% of foretriangle, with CB all or7/8 down, my X would be heeled >> 20 degrees and would head up into the wind and be held in irons. Why? It would be overpowered, overcanvassed, begging for a reduction in sail area in the only way it can.
In what appears to be15 mph of wind, I recall my X has been steerable in control with no headsail, full main, and only about 1/2 the CB line out, so the underwater CLR is moved aft to balance the aft shift of the CE of the (main only) sailplan.
In 20mph of wind, I would reef the main, or maybe take it down and motor home. In 20 mph winds, my X might tack, but would heel a lot and make a lot of leeway and gain lttle ground to windward, except by motoring or motorsailing.
Keep experimenting. The X is a learning experience.Ron
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Turning into the wind w/o control? WTF?

Post by dlandersson »

I believe you are right. My main is a Hunter 216 which is a bit bigger than an :macx: main sail - very nice in light winds but a lesson to be learned with winds over 10 knots. :wink:
ronacarme wrote:Anderson...I believe you may have had too much sail up for the conditions described.
On a course to windward in 20kn (23 mph?) of wind, flying a full main and the working jib (110% of foretriangle, with CB all or7/8 down, my X would be heeled >> 20 degrees and would head up into the wind and be held in irons. Why? It would be overpowered, overcanvassed, begging for a reduction in sail area in the only way it can.
In what appears to be15 mph of wind, I recall my X has been steerable in control with no headsail, full main, and only about 1/2 the CB line out, so the underwater CLR is moved aft to balance the aft shift of the CE of the (main only) sailplan.
In 20mph of wind, I would reef the main, or maybe take it down and motor home. In 20 mph winds, my X might tack, but would heel a lot and make a lot of leeway and gain lttle ground to windward, except by motoring or motorsailing.
Keep experimenting. The X is a learning experience.Ron