Wire with Hook on 26X Backstay

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

aknott
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Wire with Hook on 26X Backstay

Post by aknott » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Can anyone advise the purpose of the 4.5ft length of wire stay connected 8ft from the stern end of the mast backstay.
I recently purchased a 26X and need to replace the backstay as it has bad kink and a broken wire strand.

Erik Hardtle
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Wire with Hook on 26X Backstay

Post by Erik Hardtle » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:09 pm

If it is the same thing i have, it is to hold up the boom when the sail is down. See pic:

SENCMac26x
First Officer

Post by SENCMac26x » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Could be a pig tail, I had one on my old 25 to hold the boom up.

Hamin' X
Admiral
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Yep, it takes the place of a topping lift; holds the boom up when the mainsail is down.

~Rich

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:26 am

If it were me, I'd replace the backstay and leave it off. Add a backstay to the top of the mast. Just a static line is all you need, long enough that it doesn't hold the boom up when sailing. There are a number of ways to shorten it to keep the boom above your head after the sail is dropped. You have to drop the mast anyway to replace the backstay, so you could add an attachment (like an eyestrap) and topping lift, leaving extra length, and trim it after you get a feel for the right max length.

You can make your own backstay easily enough, by the way. 1/8" wire rope with 1x19 construction, thimbles, and copper (not aluminium) swage fittinings; the tool is cheap and a one-time expense, and West Marine lets you use their mounted swage tool.

tlgibson97
First Officer

Post by tlgibson97 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:10 am

I added a topping lift but I still use the one coming from the backstay during set-up and take-down. It holds up the boom while I clip the topping lift and lazy jacks to the whisker ring on the mast. Once I have the boom unpinned from the mast, it can be unclipped and taken inside.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:23 am

tlgibson97 wrote:Once I have the boom unpinned from the mast, it can be unclipped and taken inside.
More than once, I've left the boom connected to the topping lift, with the main sail flaked and covered, but the slides off the mast, and walked the boom into the open companionway with the outboard end supported by the TL so I didn't have to fight it too much (bad shoulders are making this and other processes more difficult as time goes on). I don't know if it really saved much effort in the end, and it's something I should pay more attention to in the future, to see if it does. Anything to speed up the rigging process has got to be good. :D

Oh, and I use a large boat clip on the end of the TL to make disconnection quick and easy.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:29 am

I've got one too - use in in the slip - sort of an extra thingy. :P
Hamin' X wrote:Yep, it takes the place of a topping lift; holds the boom up when the mainsail is down.

~Rich