Texas Gulf Coast

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Gary
Just Enlisted

Texas Gulf Coast

Post by Gary » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:48 am

We are thinking of heading to the Texas Gulf Coast this winter with our 26X but the charts I have show only a couple of openings in the barrier island to get to the Gulf. We hope to do some coastal sailing but want to be able to anchor in safe harbors. I'm concerned that there seems to be no anchorages on the gulf side.
Anyone have info about the area between Corpus Christy and Port Mansfield that may be of use to us or should we plan on a different location.

cajun

Post by cajun » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:19 am

Ask this question on the trailer sailor board www.trailersailor.com
There are folks on that board that live in the area.

midget
Engineer

Post by midget » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:04 pm

Sorry, Gary, I'm originally from the Houston/Galveston area not Corpus...

J Dower
Just Enlisted

Post by J Dower » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:55 pm

Gary - this area is not particularly well developed for cruising sailors. There are no anchorages outside in the Gulf, unless you count oil rigs, and the cuts are far and few between. There is a cut at Port Mansfield, but you need some local knowledge to navigate it, after that it will be the jetties at Corpus. The area inside the islands, Laguna Madre, is shallow and suited more for tunnel boats and fishing.

Gary
Just Enlisted

thanks & so long

Post by Gary » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:20 am

Thanks to everyone for all the information that I'd learned while lurking on this board. Never posted to much since I'm still in the learning curve (but hopefully getting better). We're moving and may be a while before I am able to visit again. Maybe some day I will break down and get a digital camera so I can try and post some of my mods (they look pretty shabby compared to the ones I've seen here).
Again thanks to all that make this board great.