Salt Lake to Seattle

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

J Dower
Just Enlisted

Salt Lake to Seattle

Post by J Dower » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:03 pm

I am considering towing my 03M from Salt Lake City to Anacortes later this summer. The best route apears to be I-84 to I-82 into Seattle. Has anyone made this trip, is there any concern with steep grades or switchbacks that would make this trip difficult for towing. Any suggestions on a better route? I could go up to I-15 to I-90 and then across.

I have a V8 SUV and the Mac is pretty much standard, with the factory single axel trailer, and disc brakes. I am not overly concerned, but others who have not made this trip are warning me against crossing the mountains pulling a 26' boat.

KRV
Deckhand

Post by KRV » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:18 pm

No problem. take the 84-82 then 90 all the way in and take it slow over the Cascades. That pass is very easy driving in the summer. Good Luck and have fun :)

Daves_knot_here
Chief Steward

Post by Daves_knot_here » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:22 pm

J,
I just drove down to San Fran from Portland, OR to purchase my 98 26X. I pulled it back on I5 which has quite a few mountain passes. My V8 powered GMC Suburban had no trouble at all. The time of year you will be towing will have a huge impact on your ability to tow up a grade. I would suggest you install a tow package if your tow vehicle doesn't already have one. The tow package will keep your engine oil and tranny cooler while pulling under load.
Dave

Mark J
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Mark J » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:52 pm

A friend towed a horse-trailer (similar from/to), and after investigation took I84 thru Portland to I205 to I5 to Seattle. Big hill at Pendelton, and the pass over the Blue Mountains, but less elevation and snow than the Cascades, I'ld think. Worth a look.

Graham Carr
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sedro-Woolley WA, 2002 26X , Mercury 50hp 4 Stroke Bigfoot "Pauka2"

Post by Graham Carr » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:36 pm

You should have no problems, but it depends on your SUV specs. A V8 does not mean it will make a great tow vehicle. Sure a V8 can pull it, but is the rig rated for that? Just check your owners manual. I towed my boat from Colorado to the San Juan Islands twice, 2800 miles round trip. I have also pulled my tool trailer twice to the same destination (with out the boat), trailer/tools @ 8000 pounds. My tow rig was a 1997 Ford F150. I did not encounter any problems. I keep my speed at max, 65 MPH. The return trip last year was during the second week of August, so it was very hot out. I always put my hand on the tires and hubs at each gas stop to check for heat. At the same time I check my bearing buddies and add grease as needed. I keep my tires at 50 lbs. The boat trailer is a 2002 with stock tires. I have driven the Northern I-90 and the Southern I-84. I prefer the Southern route. Your longest climb will be on your return from Seattle area to Snoqualmie Pass. Snoqualmie Pass (I-90) is not a bad pass. One of the steepest but short climbs & descents will be the west side of the Blue Mountains in Oregon. I keep my speed at about 40 MPH on the descent. The key point in your statement but others who have not made this trip are warning me against crossing the mountains pulling a 26' boat. They have not made the trip. Take it easy and you will be ok. It takes me two days to make the trip. It is worth the journey!

J Dower
Just Enlisted

Post by J Dower » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:01 pm

thanks, that's the information that I needed. I have a 4-Runner and the boat and trailer are well within the towing capacity so I won't worry about it.