What is the minimum HP recommendation for a 26D

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
brockangelo
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

What is the minimum HP recommendation for a 26D

Post by brockangelo »

Hey all,

I purchased a 1990 26d last fall with an old outboard that sadly doesn't work this spring, so I'm looking for a new motor. I've read around a bit through the forums, and while I know I shouldn't go too cheap on anything, I'm really wondering if I need a 9.8hp motor for this when I'm going to be on inland lakes in Illinois and Indiana. So knowing that the smallest motor will work its hardest, and a larger motor will always have that extra push if the winds pick up, I have three questions:

1. What is the absolute minimum size motor you'd put on a Mac 26d? Would a brand new Tohatsu 2.5hp be a waste of money?
2. What is that sweet spot of affordability to capability? What size motor will cover me for late afternoon sailing if I know I'm not going to cross Lake Michigan in the winter?
3. Who here has the smallest motor on your Mac 26? What size is it, why does it suck, or why is it king?
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: What is the minimum HP recommendation for a 26D

Post by NiceAft »

I just went and did a search for a 26D owners manual, and was surprised to find out that the owners manual does not mention anything about motoring. I mean nothing!

I can understand asking what the maximum power outboard to use, but why the minimum? It’s not unusual to see a sailboat with a 6 or 8 HP outboard. Are you looking for smaller?

Ray
brockangelo
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by brockangelo »

I'm weighing my options because I've read that a 9.8hp is simply overkill. I don't want to spend too much here when I'm legitimately not going to be doing high wind motoring, but I'm wondering how small is too small. Mainly looking for anyone who had a good or bad experience with a small motor so I can gauge what HP I need to be planning for.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Let me add just one last thought. You may not plan for any high wind motoring, but one can get caught off guard. I don’t see where it would hurt to be prepared with an 8hp. I have a 6 hp four stroke on my 9’ dinghy.

Ray
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

What is your and your loved ones life worth? 8)
brockangelo wrote:I'm weighing my options because I've read that a 9.8hp is simply overkill. I don't want to spend too much here when I'm legitimately not going to be doing high wind motoring, but I'm wondering how small is too small. Mainly looking for anyone who had a good or bad experience with a small motor so I can gauge what HP I need to be planning for.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

dlandersson wrote:What is your and your loved ones life worth? 8)
Thats what it always comes down to in the end, when your in strife its no good saying "I wish I had bought the bigger / better one", its a bit late then.

I don't want to be a scare monger but being on the water is a dangerous environ, thats why I never understand people not spending a few dollars and getting a good comfortable inflatable life jacket they can wear basically most of the time they are above deck and scrimping on things that could save your life.

Buy the best you can afford and always a bit bigger and better than you think you will ever need, I have seen boats pushed along by 2 and 3Hp motors, but I don't think I want to be on one when there is a front coming at you fast and you need to get to the dock against a strong wind or tide.

A 8Hp should do the job, 2 stroke is the cheapest and lightest but I don't think many places in the USA like 2 strokes anymore and your ears will love you long time if you get a nice quiet 4 stroke, even a small 4 stroke can get annoying quickly if you have to have it at WOT to push along for more than 15 minutes at a time
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I had a 9.9 hp 2-stroke Evinrude on my Aquarius, and there was one time where I wished it was the 15 hp version.* I was getting pounded like never before in surf in a skinny, shallow channel, and could barely make headway. Made worse by the prop on the offset OB coming out of the water with both pitch and roll. I had to get towed in - the only time that's ever happened, ever.

So I'm basically agreeing with the other guys that while a 2 hp would be fine on a very small, very protected lake in very flat, very calm weather, when it all turns to carp, I want Dwayne Johnson, not Peewee Herman.

*Same classic Evinrude/Johnson engine was available in 9.9 and 15 hp, with the 15 being rated as such at a higher speed. Probably had a bigger carb, and maybe a little different timing; same prop, I believe.
armadillo
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by armadillo »

I have a 26S and I love the 2 stroke tohatsu 8 with starter and generator. I think 99% of the time I use it at max 60% of his power. But sometimes docking or putting the boat in the trailer needs more power. Its heavy but still under my limit. I also have a Tohatsu 8 without starter for my dinghy that is lighter. Another important advantage of the 2 stroke engines is that they can be moved and stored on its side.
bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn »

When I had my D I had a four stroke 8 hp and it would hit hull speed at about 1/2 to 2/3s throttle. Winds are a consideration for sure, but the Ds sit much lower than the X or M. If I didn't have my X now and had to replace the outboard on the D I would stay with the 8 for docking and loading, but you won't use all the throttle.