Canada rules & North Channel

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
nedmiller
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Canada rules & North Channel

Post by nedmiller »

We are planning a trip to the North Channel of Lake Huron in late July/early August.
I’m confused by a couple things and I need information from people who have been there.

First, there are conflicting resources on whether I can use my VHF radio if I don’t have a radio license. One source says that recreational boaters from the US do not need one. Other sources say everyone does.

Next, the literature says that Porta Potti‘s are illegal in Ontario. The Trailer Sailors group said I’m am older source that they have “not had problems” in the past. Does anyone know from experience whether I will be able to take my Porta Potti that does not have a pump out? I really don’t want to buy a new MSD unit since what we have works out really well for the places and length of time we normally travel.

Does anyone have other advice and cautions about this trip?
Y.B.Normal
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Canada rules & North Channel

Post by Y.B.Normal »

I've been up there twice with the trailer sailors group. We routinely communicated on our VHF radios during our morning/evening call-ins. While I bought a composting head before our first trip up there, I never heard of anyone in our group having a problem with Canadian officials over a port-a-potty without a pump-out hose.

Plan on taking a LOT of pics; the area is beautiful. Also, make sure you have a solid screening set up; the mosquitoes are HUGE, and WILL find any acess points.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

We passed through that area on our Great Loop trip in 2016. I'd heard about the toilet regs as well. We have a composting toilet and I was certain it would pass muster. No one ever checked or inspected, and I don't know if they ever do. It is my understanding that porta potties don't meet their requirements, though. As for radio, when I started out the rule was no license required for VHF use in the US for either US boats or visiting Canadian boats. However, US boats going to Canada were officially required to have a license in order to transmit. I got a license, cost about $100 and was good for 10 years. When it expired I said Phooey and didn't renew it. I go to Canada regularly, and have never heard of anyone making an issue of it. I use the radio as needed. I wouldn't worry a bit about the radio thing. I'd make some inquiries about the toilet thing though. You might contact the American Great Loop Cruisers Association, since they're really on top of such things.
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

We log when and where we dump our composting toilet. Then if asked we have a record in our log book. If you do this it may help with the portapotty. Not sure it would help but it might.
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Canadian VHF License Requirements

Ship Radio Station Licensing
Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

1) the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
2) the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by Reference RBR-2.

If you do not meet both of the above criteria, you will require a radio licence. You can contact your local Industry Canada office for more information. All of the Industry Canada offices can be found in RIC-66.
WD
Engineer

Post by WD »

Good read:
https://ised-isde.canada.ca/site/spectr ... r-stations

https://ised-isde.canada.ca/site/spectr ... me-service - typically it is required to monitor channel 16 and use channel 16 to initiate communication with another vessel and move to a different channel eg. 68

Cheers, Bill
Prospect
Deckhand

Post by Prospect »

As a side note. You are not allowed to drink in Canada unless you have all three of the following. Sleeping quarters, galley (permany) and permanent head (not porta potty). Also, you must be anchored or at a dock.