Mission bay to San Diego bay and back in a day.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Bobsquatch
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Mission bay to San Diego bay and back in a day.

Post by Bobsquatch » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:02 am

I motored from Mission bay then sailed all the way to Imperial Beach marine reserve. I came across a group of kayakers who warned me too look out! I said, I know it's only 2' deep. It's a Macgregor! 8) I had my rudders kicked up and the swing keel barely in the water making 4kts. They were amazed. I turned and came alongside them to chat a bit while we left the area. They were in performance kayaks with long skinny rudders, I could get shallower than them. They actually pulled ahead for a while till it got deep enough to drop the rudders and keel and I took off. it was getting late so I doused the sails and headed back. It was well after dark when I got back to my slip but show me another boat that could do all of that in a day. I also stopped for fuel, had lunch at Point Loma Seafoods and cleaned the hull. Busy day. :)

Newell
First Officer

Re: Mission bay to San Diego bay and back in a day.

Post by Newell » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Did you notice if that Ketch was still stuck in the flats by the car pier in South Bay?

Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:33 pm

I didn't notice but wasn't paying much attention either. How about now??? If so, it may be permanent :? I need to get a chart for both Mission and San Diego bays. The Chart I have isn't detailed enough. particularly San Diego bay as I want to capitalize on my shallow draft but stay out of trouble.

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:54 pm

How about posting a map for those of us not from the area.

Ray

Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:29 am

Not my arena. I tried and may have succeeded... time will tell.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:38 am

No map, but the Ketch floated off the mud the same day. He was about 100yds further South of the ketch that became a total loss last year. :(

Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:56 pm

Wow, how did it become a total loss? Did they drag it apart across the shallows?

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:59 am

I can't get past the Mission Bay bridge so I only got to beach it a little in Bonita Cove - but it's a long sail back to Oceanside so I had to leave pretty quick.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:01 am

BOAT wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:59 am
I can't get past the Mission Bay bridge so I only got to beach it a little in Bonita Cove - but it's a long sail back to Oceanside so I had to leave pretty quick.
Try the upgraded Shelter Island Launch Ramp or come down to Chula Vista J Street ramp next time. We could get some pics to share of each other's boats on-the-water, always good to share.

Yes Bob, AFAICT the Ketch last year was a total loss, it settled down facing into the bay and filled with water every tide and was still there when I left the end of January this year.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:14 am

Newell wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:01 am
BOAT wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:59 am
Try the upgraded Shelter Island Launch Ramp or come down to Chula Vista J Street ramp next time. We could get some pics to share of each other's boats on-the-water, always good to share.

Yes Bob, AFAICT the Ketch last year was a total loss, it settled down facing into the bay and filled with water every tide and was still there when I left the end of January this year.
We have been going to Pepper Park - you know that one? San Diego is so big it sure would be nice to have another MAC around to anchor with for the night - we have not purchased a mooring permit so we just pull out of the water at night and stay at the KOA. If I know other people down there I would stay in the water.

The only person I knew down there was mastreb - he might want to sail with us too. He has a slip with a big boat in it.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Boat, Now I know that Pepperpark is near Pier 32 my boat is just a mile further South. You don't need to purchase a mooring permit. There is a free anchorage at Glorietta Bay, which is just south and west of the bridge. Call 619 686-6227, the location is:

A-5 Glorietta Bay - 32 degrees 40 minutes 71 seconds North by 117 degrees 10 minutes 16 seconds West.

There is a no-committee boat fun race every 3rd Saturday, hosted by SouthBay Yacht Club out of Pier 32. Macs and other smaller sailboats start at 12:00 pm. It's a no pressure fun race, if you like to race, event, time and course review can be seen on RaceQs if you register your boat, free.

There is free docking at several restaurants just around the corner N. under the bridge. It can be rough, since in main channel, tie bumper sideways. I loose tie my boat haven't had a problem. :macx:

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:23 pm

32°40'42.6"N 117°10'09.6"W
32.678500, -117.169333

I used to beach my little 12 foot Koralle on the beach there when I was 13

I walked up the beach and people were playing golf.

( I usually round my seconds to 59 or less so I changed your Latitude to 41 minutes north of the equator - works either way)

That looks like a great place to anchor - can I anchor there??

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:56 am

Yes, you can anchor in Glorietta for free, but need to register online. I know of 2 boats that are registered there the 14th and 15th for race I mentioned.

This will be my last race until later in the year, since we leave for NOLA about the 20th of Feb.

Sure would like to see you bring Boat to the race. The race captain, Mike Scarpati, had a M and he thinks they are slower than the X, I know better, but I don't mind, since there are hardly any other boats slower than a X. Mike now races a Hunter 33.6. :wink:

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:53 pm

It's been a long time.

The last time I raced was with my dad when I was 25 years old and it was in San Diego Bay! That was the last race I was in. We had a huge shrimp boil on the shore with about 40 friends and about 15 other boats.

I really like 'Norlens too - do you sail there? Or do you just go there? We take our van to 'Norlens although last time I was there was for a wedding and we stayed in the Hotel Monteleone. Got to be in a Second Line. My wife was twirling a hankie but I don't think Highlander would like seeing all the men that were twirling hankies. :| (my how things change)

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:40 am

Yes, Boat, I sail Nawlins every year, have sailed across the shortest distance of L. Pontchartrain @13 miles and back in a day. Also sailed on Lake Borne. They are rebuilding the marina by Lakefront causeway, should be nice this year. There is usually great wind for sailing but lots of lightening bolts that have scared me off the lake several times.

I have made 2 changes to my X and hoping they will be measurable against my past performance during the next race on the Bay. There will be 2 X boats in the race but can't any M boats out. :x :macx: