Mission bay to San Diego bay and back in a day.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Bobsquatch
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Mission bay to San Diego bay and back in a day.

Post by Bobsquatch » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:45 am

No worries Boat. I figured most of us motored from anywhere North of Oceanside just because the prevailing wind turns an otherwise short hop into a long sail. I figured from my slip in Mission Bay I could be there in 8-10 hours (uneducated guess) vs driving 2+ hours rigging 1+ hours just to get on the water and worry about my truck all weekend just to repeat upon my return. I had not considered slip availability either. Should be a milk run home too. I read your world record post a while back, that's awesome.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:23 am

By the way NEWELL !!

there was this older gentleman that sailed with your San Diego friends who owned an X boat and i think he was like one of the number one experts on that boat - I can't remember his name - I think it was MURV or Marv or something like that? Murv Berry or Marv Berry - anyways, he was VERY knowledgeable on the X boat - he was older and I think he passed a few years back but he made a video on raising the mast on the X boat that was the most excellent MRS system ever for the X boat. Are you aware of him or that video? I am trying to find that video to show it to Jimmy T on this site in another post to help him with his MRS mods. I want Tomfoolery to see it too. - Have you seen it?

Yes, just saw this several months ago. Can't find it now, but will ask on VYC fb page and see if I can find it.

Murv, was a model yachtsman to me. I emulated many of him modifications .

Couldn't find my favorite picture of Murv and I racing our spinnakers, on a light wind day on Lake Mead. :|

Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:20 pm

I can't find it either. Saw it a while back. He threw that mast up like a man in his 30's.