A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

BlueSky Sailor
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Onboard shoes

Post by BlueSky Sailor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 am

Here is a simple question.
What kind of onboard deck shoes are popular on these fiberglass decks?
I only had my Mac out one time after purchase and before it was parked for the season. I had on my typical hiking boot style of shoes and managed to leave "skiddies" all over the deck. Obviously there must be some common attire that folks use?
Was never an issue with the carpeted deck in my open bow runabout.

Larry

Russ
Admiral

Re: Onboard shoes

Post by Russ » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 am

Dark soled shoes leave marks.

I usually wear sneakers and kick them off when sitting in the cockpit. I hate wearing shoes. I know "deck" shoes are supposed to be for on deck. I sometimes wear them.

Newell
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Newell » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:23 am

I bought some 'boat shoes' from Costco, cheap, white soles, no arch! They are the best non-slip and non marking I have tried. I had a pair of Sperry boat shoes from West Marine and I don't recomend them, they were slippery.

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:52 am

99% of the time, I prefer barefeet on my :macx:. Crocs are second, if required for going ashore. I always have sailing boots onboard if the foul weather is too cold and wet.

For boat shoes, I used to wear the simple canvas boating sneakers like my grandfather used to. For those, I found that after a few off-seasons, the tread, while intact, would lose it's traction and be unsafe on wet decks.

Crocs are good on deck as well, provided the treads haven't wore smooth from everyday walking.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:20 pm

I have been wearing Sperry Gold Cup for years. they are extra padded for comfort, and I have never had a slipping problem, in fact, I am surprised to read that anyone having a Sperry boat shoe with their zigzag sole would slip. Not cheap, so if that is your priority, these are not for you. I wear my blue & tan ones for casual dress. My brown one’s throughout the year.

Ray

P.S. I should have added that I wear both on the boat. Not a barefoot person. :)

dthiesmeyer
Chief Steward
Location: Westland, MI / Lake Erie Metropark Marina / "Good Times" - 2010 26M - 60HP Bigfoot

Post by dthiesmeyer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 pm

I have used Rockport Boat shoes exclusively for years. In fact that is the shoe I wear all year as it is very comfortable.....

hart
First Officer
Location: Foley, AL 2001 26X "Wind Song" 50 hp Mercury Classic MMSI/DSC: 338081191

Post by hart » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm

K9Kampers wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:52 am
99% of the time, I prefer barefeet on my :macx:. Crocs are second, if required for going ashore. I always have sailing boots onboard if the foul weather is too cold and wet.

For boat shoes, I used to wear the simple canvas boating sneakers like my grandfather used to. For those, I found that after a few off-seasons, the tread, while intact, would lose it's traction and be unsafe on wet decks.

Crocs are good on deck as well, provided the treads haven't wore smooth from everyday walking.
Same here. My preference is barefoot followed by crocs. If I need to be “nice” for dinner off boat or something I usually have some Sperry’s floating around below decks.

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:13 pm

I got a pair of Sperrys that I used in sailing class and on a rental boat. They were comfortable and non-slip. When I started looking for non-marking I tried a set but they were not rubber based so were a major slip hazard. Non-marking and rubber is the way to go. On my Mac i tend to wear the water shoes because of the beach sand and beaching all the time you end up jumping in the water off the bow.
Last edited by Todd on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:44 pm

I wear Tiva type sandals almost all of the time. The soles don't leave marks, traction is good, feet are protected while moving about on the foredeck, they make a great watershoe for getting in and out of the dinghy at the beach, and they're easy to slip on and off. When I'm relaxing underway in the cockpit, I"m usually barefoot. I like using my "poor man" autopilot, in other words, using my feet to steer with. I lounge in the corner with hands and arms free, steering with my feet. Good visibility from the corner. I keep a pair of good walking tennis shoes on board for longer walks ashore, however the sandals serve most of the time.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:39 am

Ditto with Sperry 8)
NiceAft wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:20 pm
I have been wearing Sperry Gold Cup for years. they are extra padded for comfort, and I have never had a slipping problem, in fact, I am surprised to read that anyone having a Sperry boat shoe with their zigzag sole would slip. Not cheap, so if that is your priority, these are not for you. I wear my blue & tan ones for casual dress. My brown one’s throughout the year.

Ray

P.S. I should have added that I wear both on the boat. Not a barefoot person. :)

BlueSky Sailor
Just Enlisted

Post by BlueSky Sailor » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 am

Thank you very much everyone for the insights into deck wear that works.
Still winter here in North Idaho, but spring will come. I'll be ready and so will my Mac 26M.

Larry

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 am

BlueSky Sailor wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 am
Thank you very much everyone for the insights into deck wear that works.
Still winter here in North Idaho, but spring will come. I'll be ready and so will my Mac 26M.

Larry
Long winters provide lots of time for planning and dreaming. It's 11 degrees here in SW Montana.

You should put your location in your profile.
I've always wanted to boat Idaho lakes. Priest Lake and Lake Pend Oreille look beautiful.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:21 am

Only captain gets shoes - not crew. Crew must be barefoot and beaten often to keep up moral.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 am

Me thinks the BOAT is correct :)

Ray

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:34 pm

:D :D :D
BOAT wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:21 am
Only captain gets shoes - not crew. Crew must be barefoot and beaten often to keep up moral.