New Owner / Member With Questions

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Salty Dog II
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Currently Denver Colorado soon Punta Gorta FL. 2009 Virgin White Hull,60HP BF, Blk canvas

New Owner / Member With Questions

Post by Salty Dog II » Sat May 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Hello to everyone! New member, been reading these forums for six months. We were looking for a boat, wanted something to sail, came from power boat only Family. Looked at Hunter's, Oday's, Potters keep seeing Macgregor"s but never considered a Mac.
Fast forward, read everything I could on Macgregor's, they make a big splash with sailors & power boaters, everyone has a opinion mostly not good. I don't really care what experienced seamen think. The boat is everything I was looking for and I made our decision, wanted a 2007 or newer due to all the changes. Had to be one without bottom paint, more bells & whistles the better, but still had a budget.
So due to Covid 19, found the ideal 2009 M, 60 Hp Mercury BF, Garmin, stern seats, no bottom paint white hull boat... in Florida while Were still in Colorado. The plan is to relocate to Fl as soon as she retires. With travel ban and virus I pulled the trigger, I never have done anything like this before.. But purchase a sight unseen 09 M 26. I only went by pictures and advise the seller what I wanted to observe, he provided what I want to see. Stated low hours on a Big Foot,able to get a Mercury tech to run the smart craft program came back with 52.2 hours! Highest RPM 4999 and only 2% of total time. Then saw the pictures the Genoa hasn't been out of the factory bag. Shrouds and fittings look to be in great condition and appear sea worthy. Twin batteries with charger and Chart plotter & GPS work fine. Trailer, tires & winch appears to be seldom used. Although hull hasn't been buffed & waxed it has a nice shine. Topside is also in great shape as is cockpit and cabin (very clean), inside storage. Dagger board & rudders look brand new, bilges are dry. The bow, rub rails and underside don't even have scratches....I bought it! @ 17.5
With all your knowledge, what are your thoughts? I know if things don't work out I know I could recoup my investment+

Starscream
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New Owner / Member With Questions

Post by Starscream » Sat May 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Congratulations. Welcome aboard.

Sounds like a sweet deal.

The haters only hate cuz they don't have one. At my marina, which is almost exclusively sailboats, I am the ONLY boat who can head out to a beach 20 miles away, stay for 10 hours on the beach, and be back before dark. Everyone else sails out, sails around for a few hours, and then heads back in....booooring. Not to mention that I can walk the boat up onto the beach. Or wakeboard the kids on the way over. Or sail part of the way. Or, forget the beach, we can trailer-up and four hours later be 200 miles away sailing at a location that would take a "real" sailboat three days to get to, if they were lucky.

You did a good thing.

Salty Dog II
Just Enlisted
Location: Currently Denver Colorado soon Punta Gorta FL. 2009 Virgin White Hull,60HP BF, Blk canvas

Post by Salty Dog II » Sat May 16, 2020 5:20 pm

STARSCREAM,

Thank you for your comments, I'm determine to make it work. With the interior room available, it should provide our two 4 legged girls the comfort they have come to expect. I've sailed a lot but never on my own boat! Its very exciting, just wish I was closer to the boat...My bride insisted on a white hull, I would of gone with Black so we compromised and got a WHITE ONE???

Salty Dog II
Last edited by Salty Dog II on Sun May 17, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sat May 16, 2020 6:27 pm

First of all, welcome aboard.

In 2004 I was looking forward to purchasing a new :macm: . I was checking everywhere I could to find out about the boat. I was amazed at how many sailors posted terrible opinions about the boat. I then discovered this site. All of the owners of Mac’s were more than pleased with the boat. :idea: I had an enlightened moment. I realized that all the negative comments were given by people who have never been on a Mac. All of the positive opinions came from Mac owners. In October of 2004, we bought a 2005 :macm:

We have now owned Nice Aft for 15 years, and have never regretted it. You are now the owner of an absolutely marvelous sloop.

Where are you in South West Florida?

Ray ~~_/)~~

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Sat May 16, 2020 6:36 pm

I use a hammock with spreader bars on each end. You might have to roll up the front bar and lash it on top of the bow pulpit. Take a line from the aft bar, over the boom on the port side of the mast, back to the starboard winch to tighten it.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sat May 16, 2020 7:05 pm

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:36 pm
I use a hammock with spreader bars on each end. You might have to roll up the front bar and lash it on top of the bow pulpit. Take a line from the aft bar, over the boom on the port side of the mast, back to the starboard winch to tighten it.
Bill, I apologize, but I have no idea what you are referring to about “bars”? There are no bars on that hammock. One end of hammock attaches on the bow pulpit, the other end is attached to the halyard on the mast, and then hoisted.

The whole thing gets stuffed into a bag about 3 or 4 inches cubed.
Ray ~~_/)~~

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Sat May 16, 2020 7:57 pm

Congrats. Sounds like you got a great boat. Enjoy it and post your travels here.
--Russ

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Sun May 17, 2020 3:44 am

Sounds like a sweet deal. Bought my 97X the same way - sigh unseeen, No regrets.

Jelouse of your Bigfoot. My 50HP Merc is nice, but no a Bigfoot. :(

Salty Dog II
Just Enlisted

Post by Salty Dog II » Sun May 17, 2020 6:29 am

Thanks to all that have answered!
Call it buyers remorse or going out on a limb. This forum is really the best, as you indicated written by true Mac owners. It's not that I'm looking for approval on my purchase or anything, but its a relief to hear I'm not the only one who has had this experience off internet. The boat seems to have all that we were looking for although I don't plan on trailing it but could.

Started looking to relocate from Pensacola to the Keys, Gulf side only with a process of elimination. We have family over in Melbourne, but can't see myself on the East Coast (as much as the want us to be near by) Only ICW or open water! If all works as planned, trying for deep water. bridge less canal in sailboat section of Punta Gorta Isles.
My father (all his life) and myself (mostly summers) being involved in boat business at Cleveland Yacht & Supply on Lake Erie. I really wanted a boat that hasn't been painted since its not going to sit in the water when not being used. Besides I really like the shine of a super clean hull and less drag. Plans are 10K lift in the canal, 20-25 feet from the pool with a SW exposure & 15 minutes to open water. Looking a Buckley's Pass south, Ponce DE Leon west or Charlotte bay on north end maybe Peace River but that would be last resort. Found a few but determined to get want we want and not to settle for less.
Once we move (God willing) anyone on the Gulf side your more that welcome to stop in. Salty Dog II is paying homage to our two CHIWEENIES sisters, one all black the other all white, thus needed a white hull with black accents!
Last note: I need the distance of transom to motor well port & starboard to get a quote on Boat Name. Salty on port, Dog II starboard (rough estimate) Thanks in advance

Salty Dog II

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Sun May 17, 2020 8:34 am

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Sun May 17, 2020 9:13 am

Some of us plaster the name on the hull :D
Ray ~~_/)~~

Salty Dog II
Just Enlisted

Post by Salty Dog II » Sun May 17, 2020 9:17 am

JimmyT

Thank you ever so much! Trying to configure what size lettering without the actual distance is somewhat a challenge. I really appreciate your quick response.

Salty Dog II
Gold leaf block letters
slight black outline, shaded to the right side
with home port across the motor well near boot strap
TY TY TY

Salty Dog II
Just Enlisted

Post by Salty Dog II » Sun May 17, 2020 10:11 am

Macgregor Owners,

To all those who have a name on your boat, I've noticed (Macgregors especially and others) many do place the name on both sides of the hull. Be it fore, aft or centered, few attempts on the stern. I'm guilty of tradition and to honor my late father along with paying homage to our two girlz..

That is Salty Dog 1, the black one we call her EBONY as if you couldn't of guessed. Salty Dog 2 is IVORY, EBONY's sister same litter and neither was available when we went to the breeder, although IVORY was on the website. As we saw both, we had to replace (after 9 months) our Miniature Pincher "Heidi Ho" from South Park television show. She was the character of the Christmas Pooh and she certainly was that and more! Thus the name of our vessel as the SALTY DOG II. Oh we convinced the breeder it was both or none! We left with those crazy sisters!! As they say " Death from the ankles down"

Your all welcome if in the area of Punta Gorta Isles to celebrate her coronation. Date to be determine, love to have all Macs and then some....never done a vessel naming before? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I know we have to honor Neptune and Zues if not others.. Thoughts?

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Sun May 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Personally I never give in to those superstitions. If you follow one, you gotta follow them all, and I like bananas with my boat pancakes.

For us, the name had to be visible from a distance. We pass through a lot of locks, and it's very handy for both the operators and for us to be visually identified from a couple of hundred yards away and hailed by name.

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Sun May 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Ref my "hammock with spreader bars" post above. Google "hammock spreader bars". Mine doesn't fold into a small cube, it rolls up around the spreader bars and I stow it below.