A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

PAWSEIDON
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: to paint or wax topside...when is it "OK" to start thinking paint

Post by PAWSEIDON » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi DemItri,

So If you are referring to the Forward and Sliding Hatch on Pawseidon, I reinstalled the forward Hatch last weekend. Before I can put the Sliding Hatch back, I need to finish making new rails. I'm making them out of Mahogany. Teak was just too expensive.

Removing all the bolts is proving challenging. I got all the bolts off the Port side. The Starboard side is proving difficult. The forward most bolt also attaches the Swing Keel Line pulley. The nut is not accessible from any good point. I have read on a different post that to access the aft bolts you need to remove the bolts that hold the wall of the head in place.

I did finished painting both hatches, with the sliding hatch sitting in my garage waiting on the rails. I never tried to upload a Pic before, but if it works, here is my sliding hatch. I'll take a PIC of the forward hatch the next time I'm down at the boat.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:24 pm

I have mostly re-finished the bottom of Fast Sunday, first fairing with 3M green filler,. Spot painted all patches using a small Harbor Freight gravity feed cheapo gun using One-step White Marine Gelcoat. This is the same white that is on the Macgregor. This gun can spray vertical but is very slow. Re-configured by old suction feed with a new gasket and have sprayed a cover coat over 3/4s of the bottom. Boat is on blocks and I ran out of paint. Bought a gallon from the Bottom Paint Store and plan to finish as soon as I get the leveling system on the RV fixed.

Working in hot weather and just getting older, I got a fair finish but plan on doing some fine sanding to get it back to a like new finish. It's a alot more work than I estimated.

Getting back to the thread, I have painted the black and more on my D with black One Step Gelcoat. Used my trusty spray gun and it has held up well. I store this boat under a tarp mostly. Will try and attach a picture.

Newell
Fast Sunday 96X Windancer 89D

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:00 pm

PAWSEIDON wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:07 pm
Hi DemItri,

So If you are referring to the Forward and Sliding Hatch on Pawseidon, I reinstalled the forward Hatch last weekend. Before I can put the Sliding Hatch back, I need to finish making new rails. I'm making them out of Mahogany. Teak was just too expensive.

Removing all the bolts is proving challenging. I got all the bolts off the Port side. The Starboard side is proving difficult. The forward most bolt also attaches the Swing Keel Line pulley. The nut is not accessible from any good point. I have read on a different post that to access the aft bolts you need to remove the bolts that hold the wall of the head in place.

I did finished painting both hatches, with the sliding hatch sitting in my garage waiting on the rails. I never tried to upload a Pic before, but if it works, here is my sliding hatch. I'll take a PIC of the forward hatch the next time I'm down at the boat.

Your hatch looks good in blue paint but it does sound a bit difficult to get out...and if you go to that trouble, I wonder if you can do something to prevent the screech and the loss of gelcoat in the track too.

I think I have problems on all 3 hatches...sliding, forward and anchor locker. I suppose those could be painted separately since those are the problem areas. I just wonder whether its a good idea to diy paint stuff a bit at a time or just spring for the whole professional job. In the mean time, I guess I'll wait some more.

Idiotfool
Deckhand

Post by Idiotfool » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 pm

Windancer looks pretty good for an old girl. Have you painted the deck? On the Macs I’ve been looking at in Florida, most have thinning gel coat and I’m wondering how well a DIY coating can be made to look and how well I can expect it to hold up. Additionally, what sort of prep did you do for the dimpling (assuming older Macgregors have non-slip texture).

PAWSIDON, how about your hatch? What prep did you need to do. It looks great and I’d really like to see a pic when you remount it.

PAWSEIDON
Deckhand

Post by PAWSEIDON » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:47 pm

Yes, this all started with the objective of just fixing the screech when you slide the Hatch Open. It snowballed from their.

If you just want to remove the hatch, their are a few posts that describe how to do it without removing the rails. My original rails were so weather worn that it was painful just to look at them. Same with the Hatch Door rails. So I decided that if I was going to do this, might as well jump in with both feet. All I have to loose is money and time.

To address your option of just having it done professionally, let me quote an old boss of mine who once responded to a question when I asked how all the different projects he was managing was going. Without skipping a beat, he responded "I have no problems that MONEY CAN'T FIX".

When our boat was in for repair for the Helm, I asked for a quote to do the paint job. This turned out to be way outside the budget. Like $7,500 on top of the repair for the helm and the bottom paint. So for my wife and I, this was not an option.

When I decided to remove the hatch and replace rails at minimal cost,but a lot of sweat equity, it just seamed like the opportunity to address the faded gel coat and the black patches. So for a couple of 10 foot Mahogany 1x2's from Home Depot and a number of spray cans of paint, and some new hardware (machine screws and nuts to reattach the rails to the hull) I was off and running on my spring/summer boat redo. Yes, it's taking a lot longer then expected and I'm loosing some wonderful days on the bay, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Not to mention being able to say, YA... Spent 6 months on this but look how great it turned out. At Least I'm hoping I'll be able to say that.

PAWSEIDON
Deckhand

Post by PAWSEIDON » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Idiotfool wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 pm
Windancer looks pretty good for an old girl. Have you painted the deck? On the Macs I’ve been looking at in Florida, most have thinning gel coat and I’m wondering how well a DIY coating can be made to look and how well I can expect it to hold up. Additionally, what sort of prep did you do for the dimpling (assuming older Macgregors have non-slip texture).

PAWSIDON, how about your hatch? What prep did you need to do. It looks great and I’d really like to see a pic when you remount it.
Just basic prep, nothing to in depth. Started with a good scrum down. Used 220 grit on an orbital hand sander on the smooth surfaces. Lightly hand sand over the non-slip sections just to clean the surface and give the paint something to stick to.

I used Auto Paint Primer and three coats of Auto Dupli-Color Spray paint. I then applied about 4 coats of Spar Urethane. Basically until the entire can ran out.

Now letting it cure and waiting for the rails to be done before remounting. Will send PIC when this is done.

Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:59 pm

Idiotfool wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 pm
Windancer was key-holed after a race, the other boat's prow entered into the starboard cabin, leaving a nice 12" hole. I patched both the inner and outer sides and painted the patch white it blends in quite well. I haven't painted any non-slip areas. I wouldn't be afraid to try but would apply something like Aurora Sure Step before using the boat. Surface prep is always key to getting a good job, with gelcoat and some automotive paints, mistakes like sagging and runs can be sanded and polished out if you're dedicated.

Getting too damned old to be dedicated lately. 77 next week.
Newell
Fast Sunday 96X Windancer 89D

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:10 am

@PAWSEIDON Thanks for the $7500 price quote, not sure where I got the $4-6K in my mind but maybe someone gave me a bait and switch price at some point, who knows cause a lot of years have gone by.

@Newell Happy Birthday - I was racing on a J40 at DIYC a couple years ago that got t-boned during the starting sequence of a beer can race. Two out of the 3 shrouds holding up the mast were broken as well as a big hole in the fiber glass. The couple who owned the boat took the insurance settlement and donated the boat to a boys' club instead of fixing it. There was a big hearing about the insurance blame, who was on starboard and all that good stuff...in the end, they won that settlement since there were plenty of witnesses.

Getting back to the topic, I'm fast approaching 60 myself and have a lot less ambition to start big projects than I used to (when I was more naïve about how much work it really entailed..lol). Cause if its more like 6-8 grand to have the whole boat professionally painted (and another 8 grand for a new motor which is always possible when your current one is over 20 years old), that's more money than the boat is even worth so it does beg the question about whether its worth it. No way you could ever get your money back out of it so it would have to be something that you do because you have invested so much of yourself already in that boat and you want to keep it until you can't sail no more...otherwise, sell and buy something newish (which I noticed does not seem to exist anymore in terms of a powersailor).