Loose footed sail question - avoiding chafing?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Brian-Up-North
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Loose footed sail question - avoiding chafing?

Post by Brian-Up-North » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi,
A question for those with a loose footed sail. Are you worried about the foot chafing against the boom vang bail and nut (see photo)?

Any suggestions for adjustment to avoid this worry, how to get foot raised?

Thanks

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Loose footed sail question - avoiding chafing?

Post by Jimmyt » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:13 am

Foot of the sail should be above the boom normally. Shouldn't be near the fastener to chafe. Do you have the main halyard pulled all the way up? Have you raised the boom connection on the mast? Do you have the correct sail? Something is amok if the foot is that far down.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Brian-Up-North
Deckhand

Post by Brian-Up-North » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:52 am

Thanks for the feedback. I assume I need a way of mounting the sail tack to the gooseneck that will raise the bottom of the sail a couple inches.

Do others use a different connection to the gooseneck than the way shown below or a different gooseneck?

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:19 am

Is that sail on slugs, or is it using the boltrope in the groove?
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Brian-Up-North
Deckhand

Post by Brian-Up-North » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:25 am

slugs in the mast groove

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:06 am

It's hard to tell from the pic, but you might be able to add a slug to the grommet, and a shackle to the gooseneck, to both hold it to the same distance from the mast, and simultaneously allow it to rise higher off the boom. Might take some experimenting with shackles of different sizes to get it to lay flat at the tack, but you should be able to raise it at least a little without much trouble.

My OEM sail was cut for bolt rope use, with the tack grommet in that little inverted "U" fitting. The PO added slugs to the sail, but the tack was in the same place, so that whole area was a wrinkly mess. I had to drill a hole in the boom for a pin, and use a twisted shackle to engage the grommet, to move the tack back to where it was supposed to be in relation to the bolt rope. Lays nice and flat now. That's something you need to keep in mind, too.

Before. Notice how the tack is pulled far forward, causing the curve in the bolt rope.

After moving the tack back and cutting the bolt rope filler loose. That's what it would look like if the slugs weren't there and the tack fitting was in the little "U" - it's just moved back now.

Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:51 am

Brian-Up-North wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:52 am
Thanks for the feedback. I assume I need a way of mounting the sail tack to the gooseneck that will raise the bottom of the sail a couple inches.

Do others use a different connection to the gooseneck than the way shown below or a different gooseneck?

So you have the tack connected as shown in the pic (at or above top of boom), and the foot of the sail is chafing on the vang bail bolt? Is your outhaul tight? Main halyard tight? I'm having a hard time seeing how the sail is on top of the boom at the tack and somehow below mid boom a few feet Aft.

My halyard was fouled and I couldn't get the head up. But you can see that even loose, the foot isn't getting below my furling tube, much less 2" lower where your vang bolt would be. Maybe I'm just missing something...
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River