So I just bought a Mac X....

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: So I just bought a Mac X....

Post by dlandersson »

That's what my wife said on our honeymoon .... :)
OverEasy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:29 pm
You seem to like fiddling with stuff ....
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

Tomfoolery wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:32 am
Russ wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:07 am
Drifter wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:49 am I also found the boat was always full of leaves, black widow spiders and twice a snake...
This would be the last time my admiral would go on the boat. :)
Same here. Even a daddy long legs would invoke a song and dance musical number. :|
We had a bat inside. My wife is way more scared of heeling to 15 degrees than she was of that little bat.

Jeff
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

I had a bat that liked to sleep under my sail cover. If that was not available it would somehow get up under the engine cowl. I had to take the cowl off the first time I started the engine on each trip to make sure it did not get hurt. :)
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

Haven't had time to write a proper reply but am popping in to read you guy's replies :D
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

No I'm not dead yet, just been busy with all kinds of other things :D

Big thank-you to Russ for reaching out and asking how I was :)

The poor Big Mac has barely been used at all - which is frustrating because this was meant to be my NOT sitting-in-the-garden-and-rarely-used boat, but covid messed things up a lot.

One of the things it messed up was the previous decades-long lax and easy-going attitude towards such Western ideas as 'permits' or 'licenses'. Used both my previous speed boats for around 14 years without anyone ever asking about any such thing. Indeed it has long been one of my favorite stories, how when I first came here and asked about such things, the top guy at the local boat club teased me for even asking. For months if someone saw me heading for my boat "Hey, you going fishing? You have permission?" with big smiles...

Now it seems some boats are being stopped ("Va are vor papers?! Schnell")

No fun anymore - especially since asking about getting such papers and being told only Malaysian citizens may have such luxuries, not filthy foreigners like me.

So not entirely sure what to do at present, and have been super-busy with work, remodeling the garden and other stuff. I can 'register' the boat at Langkawi, part of Malaysia, but that's darn expensive and you have 're-register' the thing every year, forever. That sounds incredibly stupid and I'm pretty sure there are other parts of the world I can get the poor old girl 'registered' just once.

No, no fancy 'registration' papers or anything came with it from Japan.

As for a "license", that's a Malaysian citizen thing. I'm not sure of my options but I think pretty much ANY form of 'license' from anywhere will do. After all, they can't demand a Malaysian license - cos I'm not a (swear word) Malaysian citizen, see? So (swear word) 'em for that. I do, ironically enough, finally have my permanent residence (PR) status, after 17 years of living here.

So, at some time, I need to dig into just what kind of basic certificates can be had, preferably online?

Right now the Big Mac is just a garden ornament.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Drifter

Glad to see yer still kicking the can down the road! :D

Congrats on the PR status! :) Long time coming.

There are two constants in life…Taxes and government paper work. (Death is optional :D :D )
No matter where I’ve been in the world it’s always been better to ask permission than to beg forgiveness from regulatory authorities.

Welcome to the legitimacy club.

Anyway most places will work with you if you can show them purchase, shipping and import papers.
You might be exempt as a “sailboat with a motor” rather than a “motorboat with a sail”. :wink:

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Thanks for posting and giving the update and a (swear word) laugh.

Sounds like Borneo is like no place else in the world. Isn't your wife a citizen? That should count for something.

When I lived in New Jersey, I had a dickens of a time trying to register my little Force 5 sailboat. Well, actually the trailer was the hardest. And yes, had to register it every year. My Mac has "permanent" registration as it should be.

What if you registered your boat elsewhere? Would authorities accept that as legal?
Our state has no sales tax or vehicle inspections. So enterprising folks have created a cottage industry to sell a service to create corporations and register RVs here under the corporation name. I have a friend who bought a $200,000 RV and registered it here to beat the sales tax. They register the RV under the corporation and ship the tags to him in Kentucky.

Glad you are otherwise doing okay. Splash that boat and post more stories. We enjoy hearing from ya.
--Russ
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Interesting on the corporations shipping tags out of state….
That’s a fine line between Tax avoidance vs. Tax evasion….wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of that slope here in the states,
never mind in Borneo or other places.

Our personal perspective is that it’s never worth it to evade…it’s significantly counter productive.

We also look at it from a pragmatic point of view… the registrations and taxes go back into the infrastructures and we enjoy the benefits.
Leastaways here in the states. It’s funny but those states with low taxes also seem to have the crumbling infrastructure and poor services.
The infrastructure up in New England is considerably better than in South Carolina. One of the best states we’ve lived in was California. The worst was Texas. You get what you pay for.

Just my perspective….

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

I think to be more precise its you get the infrastructure that you've committed your kids and grandkids to pay for.

Dont worry no one will be tax avoiding or evading with 87k new armed IRS agents. H3ll ill send them a little extra just to keep away.

No one cares how your trailer is registered as long as a legal entity gets its 39 bucks and you get your sticker.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

OverEasy, pitchpolehobie,

Change your tacks; your course settings are heading towards the shoals of political issues. Come about :wink:
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

NiceAft wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:35 am OverEasy, pitchpolehobie,

Change your tacks; your course settings are heading towards the shoals of political issues. Come about :wink:
Translation: No politics allowed on this forum. We aim to keep it neutral and friendly. So let’s keep topics on boats and not veer off course. 😄
--Russ
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Sorry if anyone saw that as political, it’s just a personal experience perspective on value benefits I’ve personally experienced.
I happen to like public boat ramps, docks, maintained waterways, fishing and a healthy environment for boaters.
Somehow it has to be funded and administered, it doesn’t happen by itself.

For example in NH the Department of Environmental Services does a great job with limited funding to prevent, detect and manage invasive aquatic species such as variable milfoil which used to infect multiple water bodies a year is now down to less than one a year. DES has also done a stellar job of public education and involvement as well as eradication/management.

Then there are also the NH Marine Patrol, NH Fish and Game, and NH Port Authority which are also funded by my boat registration fees.
I’m personally glad that my fees contribute to making waterways better and safer, not only for me but for others as well.
While I’d love to have an all states fishing license that isn’t currently a thing so I happily purchase my in state license and a non-resident license in other states when needed.

When boating in another state I also make sure that I know what those state’s regulations are and if needed get whatever permit or registration is required. Typically it only comes into play when being in another states water for over 90 days. It helps those states manage their waterways as well. That’s a good thing… isn’t it?

I guess just don’t see everything as a zero sum equation.

Again, sorry if anyone sees that as political.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
KonstantinAtHouston
Just Enlisted

Post by KonstantinAtHouston »

What a great thread. I am a complete novice here, but during reading this thread I grew to love all of you. I don't want to distract or side-swing the theme, I just want to thank you all.
Slow learner: born in '59 and still 15...
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

...and it's still going... 8)
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

KonstantinAtHouston,

Welcome aboard 8)

I hope you still appreciate us after the news that the new guy buys the pizza :evil:

I look forward to seeing posts about your trips, and your modifications to your boat
Ray ~~_/)~~