Sail or Motor

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Would you improve the sailing abilities of your Mac at the loss of its motoring prowess?

Nah! Its good enough for me now.
79%
Sure! I'm a sailor first.
11%
Undecided! I bounce back and forth also.
11%

Total votes: 19

Drifter
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Sail or Motor

Post by Drifter »

I think it bothered him.
:D :D :D
socalmacer
Chief Steward

Post by socalmacer »

Sailing is something in your blood. I've spent the last 2 years using my boat for strictly motoring off the Southern California coast even leaving the mast at home in a lot of cases. Having sailed the boat lots in the past (original owner of a 1996 X) I knew it would not be long before I would have to quench by thirst for sailing again. Well, I did just that 2 weeks ago with the wife and some friends. There is nothing quite like sailing out from the harbor on a perfect summer afternoon with the wind filling the sails and nothing but the blue sky and the ocean to take in. Did I set any sailing speed records that afternoon or reach my destination ahead of schedule. No as I did not have a destination to reach nor speed record in mind. My sailing needs were met and I was able to take in some good sailing music in the process....John Denver - Calyspo, CTN - Southern Cross and Looking Glass - Brandy to mention a few. When the sailing was over and it was time to head back, I dropped the sails and headed back to the harbor at a pace most sailors could only dream of. Oh yay, I made it back in time to have dinner at my favorite restaurant in the harbor to have dinner and a cold one with these same friends. The experience was priceless and would not have changed a thing that day!
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Socalmacer said:
The experience was priceless
So was the post, thanks.
Ray ~~_/)~~
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

I bought my X in 2004 when I was 56. No regrets. No keel envy. No center console envy. Sailing out to our local 5 mile ocean buoy, motoring on the inside to Charleston, entering shallow water, backing down to sound-side beach and stepping off in calf-deep water, using it as a RV on the water, sleepovers with the grandkids in the v-berth......... so, I'm keeping my MacGregor 26X until some boat-necessary part of my body gives out.

Opie .. 72 yrs.

(and still raising mast only by hand)
Dougiestyle
Engineer

Post by Dougiestyle »

opie wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:56 pm I bought my X in 2004 when I was 56. No regrets. No keel envy. No center console envy. Sailing out to our local 5 mile ocean buoy, motoring on the inside to Charleston, entering shallow water, backing down to sound-side beach and stepping off in calf-deep water, using it as a RV on the water, sleepovers with the grandkids in the v-berth......... so, I'm keeping my MacGregor 26X until some boat-necessary part of my body gives out.

Opie .. 72 yrs.

(and still raising mast only by hand)
You go Opie sounds great.
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

so, I'm keeping my MacGregor 26X until some boat-necessary part of my body gives out.
I’m with you Opi.

I bought my 2005 :macm: in 2004, when I was fiftyfive :D

The :macm: mast though is significantly heavier than the :macx: , so after the first time raising it by hand, I purchased the mast raising system.

Taking some of the grandkids out is priceless.

Ray ~~_/)~~