Electrical and plumbing rework 26m

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
pleb222
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Electrical and plumbing rework 26m

Post by pleb222 »

Just bought our 2003 26m last year. This spring is major projects year! First off, electrical. I don't know if the boats were all wired the same way, but man was it all horrible. I got more than 10% voltage drop at the panel when running a couple of items! House battery under starboard settee, cables running after, cut and bound with marrettes in the bottom of the bilge to split and comme back to the vhf, no in-line fuse..., running back up the liner to the panel. Not tin plated wire, 14 gauge running about 35 feet from house battery to panel! What a nut job.

Anyways, was able to run a 10 gauge through the ladder fairly easily by drilling a small hole above the second bolt for the ladder, house will be behind the ladder. 6 breaker panel put in. That's done.

I bought CALB lifepo4 cells, 200AH from China. The cells were used, but they still performed well on a stress test. Daly BMS 100 amps. It all fit in a group 27 marine plastic case.The pack is a bit taller than the wooden cap over the bilge behind the ladder, will build a custom bump out. The pack weighs in at 44 pounds!

Next, moving the starter battery back. It's under the kitchen. Wires are way too long, needed more cranking amps than necessary. I have a tohatsu 70 tldi, hard to crank. I'm hoping that by cutting the wire length in half, I'll be able to downsize the starter battery a bit.

I bought renogy's 50 amp dual dc charger to bridge between my house and starter battery. Will install a solar panel, both solar and the starting battery will run to the dual charger, so I will be able to charge my lithium bank without a hitch.

LED lighting, and adding two oscillating fans in the berths. Adding a 12v plug under the console to charge my phone which serves as GPS, and to easily rig lighting in the Bimini.

This older mac does not come with an arch. Got the custom holders from bwy, building my own arch. If any 26m users could give me the measurements of the arch, I would greatly appreciate it! I'll add two beams for the solar panel and for a lightweight davit. It will be supported by two downward members, still deciding on the location. Since my dingy weights like 35 pounds, I'm not too worried.

Added a kicker bracket for my 3.5hp merc outboard. Worked great last year. Found a 5hp carb that fits on the engine, really added punch. Can now plane with two adults on board. Also, tested the kicker as an emergency motor last year, ran at 5 knots+ for about 10 miles, so very happy with that.

Lastly, used 4 inch phtalate free layflat for a water tank. There's a run in each hull, in the wasted space between the ballast feeders. They both run across under the forward berth. Used irrigation punch valves to connect stuff. Worked out great, I get about 20 gallons max, the system was easy to install and secure, nothing moves and the system should add to the boat's stability.

Next, ordered the shorty c-head! And sunbrella went on sale last year. Already built the dodger, worked out great. Used aluminum tubing, easier to work with and not weight critical.

As soon as the tarp comes down, will post pictures.

Hope everyone is in good health, and I wish you all a good 2021 cruising season!

Phil :macm: 2003, Tohatsu TLDI 70
Jimmyt
Admiral

Re: Electrical and plumbing rework 26m

Post by Jimmyt »

This is what's on my 2013...

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
pleb222
Deckhand

Post by pleb222 »

Thanks very much Jimmy! That's very helpful
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

pleb222 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:54 pm Thanks very much Jimmy! That's very helpful
Let me know if you need other details or photos.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Sounds like some very interesting projects and am looking forward to the pictures.

I also am re-wiring my M and the stock wiring is questionable for anything beyond the loads they have on it. The loan 14AWG just to get from the battery to switch board was about 18 feet. The wiring calculator also gives about 10% voltage drop if all the stock lights are on. I also will be shortening that distance to about 4 feet and upping the wire size.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
pleb222
Deckhand

Post by pleb222 »

So things are moving along. Was able to drill a small hole to get to the ladder from the battery locker. I learned something before doing the job that was quite helpful. If you need to drill stainless, take your time, go very slow with lots of pressure. Stainless is more soft when cold and hardens as it heats up. I never was able to drill stainless as easily! The 10/2 wire proved difficult to fish because of the bolts which i did not want to take out, but it was doable. I took out the 4 gang panel, saw that the crimp connectors were all pretty corroded, so i cut them and redid all the connections properly. I was surprised to find that the common neg 'busbar' was actually a screw next to the panel, but I guess it works. the battery fits in the locker. I am building a custom cover for it which will have a bump out. I now get less than 1% voltage drop from the battery to the panel, so I'm happy. I was able to reuse the old main wire from the battery to go into the pedestal. I added a 12V plug under it, since I use open CPN on my phone right now for navigation, but it's nice to know I could easily add electronics in there now. All the electrical now works as it should. I added a voltmeter/battery monitor and the main panel disconnect switch by the gangway next to the panel.

The arch proved quite a challenge to build! Thanks for the schematics, I was able to do a good job. Bending thick stainless is quite a task. I used an EMT conduit bender, I had to extend the handle quite a bit with another piece of stainless. I filled it up with sand to prevent kinks. I really had to put my entire 200 pounds into it, but it worked. I got the right bends and the right size. Very tricky bit though!

Adding the arch holders were another adventure. Following BWY's plan was easy. Put in the bolts, and then I cut the two inch holes. I actually lost my wrench inside the space, but was able to get it back with a magnet from my fridge! Lesson learned, I will now have a lanyard on any tool getting into those tight spaces!!!

Next up, the frame for the solar panel/davits that will be added to the arch, the new plumbing with my layflat hose, and the composting toilet.

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Great work Phil! From what I can see of your arch, you knocked it out of the park!

That is one impressive battery.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

I was looking for the arch in your photo and I just now realized from Jim's drawing that you were going after the stock one. It was so good, I was "still" looking for the DIY arch! Great job.

About the battery...
  • Is it that tall that it sticks out of the M's battery box... or do you just have it propped up for the photo?
  • I'm new to the using LiFePO4 cells myself, are you considering covering the bare posts? One stray tool will send molten metal flying. At least that is what they say on the DIY battery/off-grid site I frequent.
pleb222
Deckhand

Post by pleb222 »

Thanks, yeah, pretty happy about the arch! Just need to add the roller for the mast, and the extensions/supports for the davits. The part I was stressed about was bending the thick stainless.

For the battery, that's why I'm working on the custom cover. The cells are taller than the locker by about 2 inches. the custom cover will be tied down, and there is also the plastic battery box cover over the batteries, which i will hold down with a longer battery strap when I can get one in from amazon, so there should be very little chance of a short happening.
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

pleb222 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:20 pm ... The part I was stressed about was bending the thick stainless.
I'm guessing you went thicker for all your other additions to it. The stock one isn't very thick. What thickness did you end up using?

Also... if you have photos, can you share your Dodger build?
pleb222
Deckhand

Post by pleb222 »

The tubing is 065" Wall. The dodger is still built with the temporary cheap aluminum I used as a testing bed. It will be replaced by nicer stuff later. I'll take a picture when I have time. I still need to protect the charger by building a clear plastic casing.

I stress tested my battery setup, everything runs really well. The lifepo4 bank generates almost no heat even if i draw from everything I have.