leaks

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

rookie
Just Enlisted

leaks

Post by rookie » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:36 pm

I have a 2005 26M which we purchased new last summer.We have had a blast and have fallen in love with our "It's About Time".
Meanwhile, after the usual agonizing on barrier coats and bottom paint we decided to have a local marina do this service. Now we have it back and it appears they have done a nice job but noticed that there is now a leak or leaks every time it rains. Is there anything involved in transferrring a boat from a trailer or such that could have caused these leaks--we had none all last summer despite some wicked thunderstorms...also any suggestions as to how to find the source(s)?

aya16
Admiral

Post by aya16 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:49 pm

The chain plates om my M leaked, and I found out from a heavy rain.
The factory uses about 2 cents worth of a 10 dollar tube of 5200.

The leak goes down and back along the liner lip so its hard to find. Look
under the liner at the chainplates with a flashlight and if its leaking you will see a brown stain up there. also run your finger in the lip of the liner and see if its wet. If its dry have someone run a hose at those spots (outside) and while your inside look for drips. Is the bed in the very back corners wet?

This is something you already thought of but make sure the lip on the slidding hatch is over the front hatch.

use a hose if you cant find anything

rookie
Just Enlisted

leaks

Post by rookie » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:21 pm

thanks avitar for the info. I have noticed some moisture at the foot of the stern berth which I had attributed to the large hole for the steering rod. until now I hadn't thought about how far a leak can travel under the liner.would it be a good idea to just reseal all through-deck hardware in general?
Rookie

Jeff S
First Officer

Post by Jeff S » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:22 pm

Do a search on leaks. You will find there are numerous sources of leaks and many can come from things installed on your boat that are different than other boats. What you can do (what I did) is tape paper towel pieces along the inside of the liner from where I found the water, then fore and aft. I figured if it leaked down onto the paper it would leave witness mark and would spare me from shotgunning the sealant everywhere (which I had already done).

I had a leak from where the controls went into the center console (doubt it is a problem on the M) where the water would run down the cables and drip onto the aft bunk then under. Easily fixed. The harder one to find was coming from the bow where the light/anchor roller mounted. The water leaked down into the foam areas, out a small hole and into the bilge. Easily fixed with sealant. I also had a leak from the ballast tank- confirmed using 3 bottles of red food dye. This slowly leaked into the bilge- easily fixed with epoxy.

Jeff S

aya16
Admiral

Post by aya16 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:20 pm

ok what you may have found is what I told you. the chainplate (s) could very well be leaking. It s real obvious when you look up at them from inside the boat, the 5200 is brownish from rust stains. The chain plate will need to come out (very easy) but you do have to have two people and lower the mast at least partly. One person will turn the bolts from outside as the other will use a long socket and extension to hold turn from inside.
Once you have them out then goop them real good with 5200 sealer. (thats what the factory uses, just not enough sometimes I guess) replace them and start the nuts from inside with your socket. Tighten them and your good to go. Remember where your rigging is attached. You dont have to uncouple the rigging at the side stays but its easier to do that after you lower the mast. easier to work with the chainplate. you didnt say where your from, if your close to MDR calif Ill help you do it.

never mind, knoxville a little far

rookie
Just Enlisted

leaks

Post by rookie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:24 pm

thanks jeff...I did the search on leaks and got a ton of info..
Dan(aka"rookie")

rookie
Just Enlisted

pilot

Post by rookie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:27 pm

jeff,,a Harrier pilot??for real??

Jeff S
First Officer

Re: pilot

Post by Jeff S » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:57 pm

rookie wrote:jeff,,a Harrier pilot??for real??
A sailor who happens to fly Harriers.

aya16
Admiral

Post by aya16 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:06 pm

Jeff are the blue harrier's faster then the grey ones?

Brian Russell
Just Enlisted

Post by Brian Russell » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:30 pm

I was getting leakage into my 97x, aft berth area. I finally tracked it down to the fuel storage lockers. There is a seam along the front edge, between the locker floor and the inboard wall that is caulked (poorly in my case). Also, the weep hole was blocked up, so the rain that did blow in here tended to stay around and seep through. I cleaned the seam, re-caulked w/ 5200 and now try to keep the weep holes open. Solved the leakage. Check your windows as well. Cheers...

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:17 pm

Brian Russell wrote:I was getting leakage into my 97x, aft berth area. I finally tracked it down to the fuel storage lockers. There is a seam along the front edge, between the locker floor and the inboard wall that is caulked (poorly in my case). Also, the weep hole was blocked up, so the rain that did blow in here tended to stay around and seep through. I cleaned the seam, re-caulked w/ 5200 and now try to keep the weep holes open. Solved the leakage. Check your windows as well. Cheers...
Had the same problem wih my 98X. I also cleaned and re-sealed the seam, but I also enlarged the drain holes to ensure they would not get clogged as easily in future. I paid particular attention to getting the bottom of the holes as close to the bottom of the compartment as possible so they'd drain more completely.

mtc
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Panama City Beach, Florida 05 M 'Bellaroo' 60hp Merc BF

Post by mtc » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:05 pm

Chain plates leaked on mine - no sealant used at all. Once removed, re-seated and sealed with 52, no leaks.

The aft berth was also collecting water from the ped where the control cables were run - also without any sealant.

Now she's water tight, except of course, for the area around the aft companion way hatch. But that will only leak in an incredible rain storm.

Michael

rookie
Just Enlisted

leaks

Post by rookie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:15 pm

several times I've heard to check my windows for leaks but I'm not sure the best way to seal them? Any ideas?
Rookie

kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:39 pm

rookie wrote:several times I've heard to check my windows for leaks but I'm not sure the best way to seal them? Any ideas?
Rookie
The factory uses black 3M 5200. Sounds like a good bet to me, too.

Chinook
Admiral

chainplate leakage

Post by Chinook » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:07 pm

Regarding leaks, Todd at Bluewater Yachts advises against using 5200 to seal the chain plates. I think it's considered a bit too rigid, and the movement there under stress of sailing is likely to break the seal. He recommends using a simple clear silicone caulk, which remains more flexible. Good idea to make cleaning and recaulking the chain plate seam an annual maintenance item. This has worked well for us.

Mike Cecka