Back-up Camera System

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Wind Chime
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Back-up Camera System

Post by Wind Chime »

I know someone has probably posted this somewhere, but I just installed one of those "Back-up Camera" systems on my van.

The camera mounts on your licence plate, and there is a 4" wireless monitor that sits on the dash.

Makes backing up to connect the trailer... a one try everytime!
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

I bought two of 'em.
One is for the rear license plate of my tow vehicle.
The other one is for the 26X pulpit :)
Trouts Dream
Captain
Location: Calgary, Alberta--1997 26X--Yamaha 90HP 2 Stroke....grunt, grunt

Post by Trouts Dream »

Wind and Frank
What models did you get and why?
Lots of time this makes my buying decision easier when a certain unit is recommended.
richandlori
Admiral

Post by richandlori »

interesting guys....care to share a link?
Frank C

Post by Frank C »

I have two different ones, cannot endorse either. They're carried in the bigBox stores at about $80. That includes a mini-camera for the license plate that's wirelessly linked to a 3-inch monitor on the dashboard. I figure that one on the pulpit will slightly help with keeping track of what's out in front of that big Genoa.

Here's a link to one vendor on the internet ... no endorsement.
David Mellon
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by David Mellon »

I picked mine up at Costco for about $80. Of course Costco stocking is unreliable so get it where you find it. I did not hook the camera up to the backup lights as instructed. My Suburban has a 12 volt power outlet in the back so l rigged it to that with a switched plug from Radio Shack. I only use it to hook up the trailer so I have it tilted down a bit. It is great for alignment but not for distance, I have found that leaning a stick against the tongue helps with depth perception.
Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime »

Our is a VR3.

http://importbestbuys.com/catalog/produ ... 2fde4ab05e

A lot of times I am by myself to hook-up the trailor, as the navigator likes to arrive fashionably late for cast off. I have tried many was to avoid the; back-up, get out have a look - now go forward a bit, get out have a look - now to the right a bit, get out have a look - now back to the left just a smidge... Arrrrrrrg. :x Or worse yet, when the navigator is with me, giving the same instructions for all the marina to hear.

My father is a retired truck driver of 50 years, and he would have a bird if he saw some of this going on. Once I'm hooked up, I can back down a busy street at rush hour and parallel park it. Just getting it hooked up is the problem. With any luck this will help that. :)

... now if I can just remember to unplug the trailor light plug from the van before backing it down the ramp & into the water :|
Mistral
First Officer
Location: Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, VIC., Australia 2005 26M "Indigo Blue" 50HP E-Tec

Post by Mistral »

The camera is standard on my car and I agree it is a breeze to hook up the trailer. Don't even need the admiral to guide me anymore.
Oskar 26M
First Officer

Re: Back-up Camera System

Post by Oskar 26M »

I lost my inbuilt back-up camera when I sacrificed my Toyota Kulger in favour of a base-model Land Cruiser (which is not so equipped) with the grunt to tow my heavy rig.
Now I Velcro a portable cam above the tow-ball, and also have an extension cable that enables me to Velcro it to the back of the boat/trailer rig when parking in tight spots. The screen plugs into the cigarette lighter and allows for two camera inputs (switch able via a remote), but so far I haven't been able to procure a second camera. It would be handy to have the extra camera so the rig could be monitored from inside the car whilst towing. :)
USAF M26X sailor
Chief Steward

Post by USAF M26X sailor »

I've been looking at the VR3 at Wally World (Walmart). I have a topper on my F150 and though I might mount the cam higher, looking down. It might give a better depth perception. Does anyone know if the cam can relocated? Is the feed to the monitor wireless? I'd like to move the cam to the back of the trailer after hitching. I have the M26X and a 27' Jayco TT, seeing what is behind them would be reasuring when backing up without a spotter.
Chip Hindes
Admiral

Post by Chip Hindes »

I have the one from WalMart on my F150. I got it because of the huge blind spot created by the high bed of the 4WD and a bed topper. The easier hitch hookup is an ancilary benefit.

The feed to the monitor is wireless, and the monitor is on at all times unless you switch it off, which I usually do, particularly at night because even with the camera turned off the screen flashes periodically and annoyingly. The power and ground to the camera is theoretically at least, to the backup light circuit. The wiring is long enough it could reach virtually anywhere on the rear of the vehicle. You could extend it. You could also wire it to a separate switch if you wanted. I considered doing this both so I could monitor the hitch position when pullling forward (it shuts off as soon as you shift out of reverse), and also so I could monitor the hitch or what's behind me when "underway" going down the road. I haven't done so yet.

I found the furnished saddle connectors for wiring into the backup circuit to be crap. Two of them broke when I was trying to install them, and a third became intermittant after only a few days of operation; I ended up tossing all of them and soldered the power and ground wires into my backup light circuit.

I'm not sure how remounting the camera somewhere else would improve the depth perception; I believe the wide angle lens will pretty much destroy that no matter where you mount it. If I can see it in the outside mirrors, I judge distance with those. If I can't see it in the outside mirrors, I go slow because objects in the camera go from apparently far away to crunch in a hurry.